Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a dilemma please help!

linuxguy0481

Hello all,

My ultimate goal is to be in shape and have that gymnastic man body. The thing is don't know where to start or if I need to join a gymnastic gym. I tried looking for a gym but I think of all of them cater to young girls and boys. It will be really creepy and wrong if I showed up to that same gym. I was hoping to find a adult class but could not find any. By the way I live in Utah so if someone knows a gymnastic gym for adults in Utah that would be awesome.

About me: I'm 30 years old, 5'7" tall, I have a BMI of 29. I weigh 185 pounds. I want to be lean and strong. Super strong. I want to go back to my high school weight but with more of a ripped look. I know it will take time. I'm okay with that. I am married to an amazing woman but she is not interested in working out. She does have a high metabolism. :D

Right now we both live in the mother in law's house. She lives in a different city about an hour drive. We rent the house. But sadly no room for equipment. I do have a workout room/family room that I am using currently. I did buy this pull up station from Craigslist a few months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Weider-WEBE0914-2 ... B000M2AHRM

So that's the only gymnastic related equipment I own. My first preference is to workout at home. But if I can't do that I will like to find a gymnastic gym locally. Also will the workout program work for people like me that is out of shape and has a gut? I did buy "Building the Gymnatic Body". So not sure what to do at this point. I hope someone here can help me out with this dilemma. Thank you.

That doesn't look like a bad set up at all, you should be able to do most of the exercises you need to start with on it.

I think the vast majority of us do our strength training at home.

To get started there are two ways Coach Sommer prefers, either to plunge right in with the WODs (which can be scaled down by referring to the book) or setting up a Kilroy style program for yourself. You can find it here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1957

Some thoughts to help with weight loss -

On your off days do some high intensity work - sprints, hill or stair runs are examples of this. Depending on your weight be careful about to much impact on the joints, and on others light jogging or even walking.

Diet is even more important for weight loss and there are some people here that know quite a lot about that. Look in the Nutrition forum and feel free to ask questions there.

Hey! Nice to meet you! :mrgreen:

Actually your dip/pull up station is great, I wish I had place to have one too! :D I think that with only that you could easily try many of the exercises progression listed on the Btgb, and after some time you could have a pair of rings too. One suggestion would be to lose a little weight before (depending on your physical structure). I agree with Cole Dano that High intensity training is the best to lose weight, although at first it could be a little too demanding (well, for me it was! :mrgreen: )...If you start completely from zero, you could run at medium intensity for the first period before trying high intensity training (just to get "acclimatated") :wink:

Charlie

Medium Intensity, yes why not call it that, short bursts that elevate the heart rate, is the idea.

With the GB strength work, which is actually very important for weight loss as well, it's all about scaling. Anyone can do some form of a row and a push up. If you get rings hang them from the station at a good height for doing rows. If you don't have rings some straps of any kind will do in the mean time.

Same with the FBE foundational work, anyone can do some sort of plank, rev plank, hollow body hold, arch body hold.

With that station you can also start to do basic support work, and hanging work.

• 2 weeks later...

Use this to find gyms and call them. Gymnastics privates are fairly expensive as are most adult classes $15-25/session of 1-2 hours. For Gymnastic Strength Training™ it's fairly unnecessary with this forum and online available resources. Especially if you can upload video of yourself to have others give you feedback on.

http://usagym.org/pages/usagymclub/findagym.html

When I had to start working out at home (as I was not working out in a gymnastics gym for about 6 months or so), I used my power tower which was very similar (but built less robust). I first made some PVC rings with some rope and a piece of PVC slightly longer than the width of my hands. Fine for support or hang work (but not false grip/MU work).

Using a chair I would do rows with the lower support arms and my feet on a chair. I used a pair of 25lb DB as a set of parallettes but you can make a set of PVC ones very easily and inexpensively.

That power tower is fine to start off with since you can do a lot of the GB program.