Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Confused by Handstand RLLs / Wall HS Presses

Aaron Griffin

Aaron Griffin

So, I can't seem to properly get in position for these. By doing a HS a few inches in front of a wall, I can do box presses, but I can't seem to figure out the positioning for the HS against the wall versions.

Can anyone explain how to properly get into position where the back is pressed flat against the wall, with the hands angled? If I go from a handstand first, it seems like I can't properly rotate my hands as needed. If I bend forward and press my shoulders into the wall, I don't seem to have the ability to kick up at all (and I'm not strong enough to press up from the ground).

Pointers? I really want to learn this movement, but feel like there's a wall I can't get past

How is your HeRLL? If you are doing box HS without resting on the wall, i imagine it's ok, but just to check.

Kicking up in this move is of no use, unless you are very diligently working the negatives, but even then if you haven't got HeRLLs solid go back there first.

To scale the RLL there are a couple a ways to experiment with that i know. One to gradually lift the head putting it on blocks or some such thing. This is similar to lowering the box, but with the head supported things will be significantly easier.

The second is to take your hands further away from the wall in the HS-RLL this will give more leverage, but is harder on the wrists.

Not sure I entirely agree. I have found kicking into HS back to the wall very useful for my hollow freestanding HS practice. First, by pressing the back to the wall it has gotten me more comfortable balanced over my wrists. Second, my torso coordination was totally screwy and by practicing back to wall in a tuck really allowed me to work on that. That also helps build that strength/coordination that allows me to do good HS RLLs and (hopefully) eventually press HS. I guess the key is follow the progression through face to wall HS to build the proper form first.

As for the OP just kick up before you set your shoulders and back against the wall. Once in HS then lean into the wall. At first I would scale it back a bit and bend one leg, foot to wall to assist, and do the HS press that way until you are able to do it with both legs elevated.

Joshua Naterman
Not sure I entirely agree. I have found kicking into HS back to the wall very useful for my hollow freestanding HS practice. First, by pressing the back to the wall it has gotten me more comfortable balanced over my wrists. Second, my torso coordination was totally screwy and by practicing back to wall in a tuck really allowed me to work on that. That also helps build that strength/coordination that allows me to do good HS RLLs and (hopefully) eventually press HS. I guess the key is follow the progression through face to wall HS to build the proper form first.

As for the OP just kick up before you set your shoulders and back against the wall. Once in HS then lean into the wall. At first I would scale it back a bit and bend one leg, foot to wall to assist, and do the HS press that way until you are able to do it with both legs elevated.

Back to wall in a tuck is substantially different from what most people do with their backs to the wall! The strength that you need in the upper traps will be better developed with the stomach to wall version, but if used properly both can be useful. Back to wall helps me use my bodyweight to leverage against my shoulderblades, helping me open my shoulders. It does, however, still make it hard not to arch slightly so I use both variations so that I do not get out of balance in regards to being able to hold a hollow body position.

Aaron Griffin
How is your HeRLL? If you are doing box HS without resting on the wall, i imagine it's ok, but just to check.

Kicking up in this move is of no use, unless you are very diligently working the negatives, but even then if you haven't got HeRLLs solid go back there first.

Define solid for me. I can do 3-5 HeRLLs with 12lbs of ankle weights with fairly good form, but this is when freestanding and allowing my hips to move back a bit - similar to this video:

00jrWIWtrJk

I can also do approx 2-3 HS RLL by using a chair (20" box or so) and placing myself about a foot from the wall (only there to spot me at the top of the lift, because I can't balance while moving yet)

To scale the RLL there are a couple a ways to experiment with that i know. One to gradually lift the head putting it on blocks or some such thing. This is similar to lowering the box, but with the head supported things will be significantly easier.

I think this might be the way to go - just inch upwards to increase the ROM.