Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

planche training video

Gregor

matthew.percussion

I understand that the intensity is different and that different muscles will be worked harder. But, will training a planche with my fingers to the side benefit my training the planche with fingers pointed backwards? Is it enough to matter?

I understand that the intensity is different and that different muscles will be worked harder. But, will training a planche with my fingers to the side benefit my training the planche with fingers pointed backwards? Is it enough to matter?

no... just work in position wich will work best for you...I'm training backward for rings, and side ways in p.bars (more V-turn in wrtists->one side of p.bars are wider, then other side->for rings....).

Watching your video of the straddle planche made me want to make some parrallets, I made some yesterday. :D

Is it better to practice the planche on the parrallets or floor? they probably both have their place in training, huh?

• Upvote 1

Richard Duelley

I use my parrallets for most of my planche and manna stuff becuase they are easier on my wrists.

Watching your video of the straddle planche made me want to make some parrallets, I made some yesterday. :D

Is it better to practice the planche on the parrallets or floor? they probably both have their place in training, huh?

On parrallets is a litlle bit easier, beacuse is more fixed grip. But if, your planche is solid on a parralets you can easily do it on a flor to....Yes I would suggest to train both, asuming you want to hold it on a flor to...

• 4 weeks later...
John-Paul Potter
Just muscle working, nothing serious.

Hi pain is still persisting is this simply cramping due to lack of muscle strength and is it usual to get it one side rather than both? And will it disipate as muscle gets stronger??

Best regards JPP

I have a similar pain that I get during Handstands. I'm not sure if yours and mine are the same JPP but, I have found that thoroughly stretching seems to help a bit. As well as head placement. It I try to look straight down(therefore arching my back) it seems to intensify. Keeping your spine less arched may help you like it helped me.

Just a thought...

Hi Matthew thanks for your response, will try to spend some extra time stretching that area prior to exercise see if that helps. I do try to keep head and neck straight so dont think that is the problem....as for my back i am only at the tucked progression at the moment so not strong enough to do flat tucked :(

Just dont want to push training to much and risk injury (which i have been prone to in the past) :oops:

Best regards JPP

Hi All,

Pins and needles like pain is still persisting in right lat.....i have tried further stretching and warm ups but with no joy. I have been unable to increase my hold time (if anything has decreased) and therefore strength due to pain!

Help please :(

Best regards JPP

JPP,

"Pins and needles" along with the duration in this case probably indicate a pulled latissimus. My recommendation is to restrict your upper body work until the lat has healed and to focus on leg and core strength in the interim.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John-Paul Potter
JPP,

"Pins and needles" along with the duration in this case probably indicate a pulled latissimus. My recommendation is to restrict your upper body work until the lat has healed and to focus on leg and core strength in the interim.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach,

Thanks for the advice. I only notice the problem while in the planche position should i simply avoid this exercise until i feel it is properlly healed or should i also be steering away from certain other exercises i.e. pull ups, levers, etc...?

Best regards JPP

There is no need for a blanket boycott of all movements in they are not accompanied by pain or discomfort. For the time being, simply avoid the planche work or perhaps move back down to an easier variation until the injury has healed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John-Paul Potter

Thanks coach, I will try going back to advanced frog stance and if still finding discomfort will avoid planche work until back to full strength :D

Best regards JPP

• 3 months later...
Hey Gregor, do you also have a youtube channel for your videos?

Very very old one yes.

Very very old one yes.

This isn't one of your old videos is it?

Very very old one yes.

This isn't one of your old videos is it?

No , I don't practice at home :D

• 3 months later...

hi, i have a question,

does practicing planche everyday is not usefull or harmful?

i know that body builders take day off after they had worked on a muscle, does that apply to planche?

i'm doing planche every other day for two monthes and i can barely see progress..

should i do this daily?

• 7 months later...

Hi!

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I'm 29 years, from Finland. 175cm/85kg. Been playing hockey for 13years (quit when i was 19), and lifting weights for about 5years in the past, now had 2years off, and started training towards planche. I have of course other goals for the future like MU, B/FL, etc, but main focus is on planche. Ring MU is very close , though. I´ve been training gymnastics now for 4 months. I know its rather short time, but i thought i could need some advice on this.

I already tried search on this but could not find the answer. So, i was wondering since i cant hold tuck planche for a single sec, that if it would be any helpful for me to do it in rings, and work my way up getting my shoulders strong enough. I can hold a tuck planche in rings, with toes slightly below my fingers for a good 10seconds. Straight arms of course. Is this maybe a way for me to build strenght enough to be able to lift my hips to the shoulder height? My legs are quite big and heavy, so maybe that is whats holding me back in nailing the tuck planche on the floor?

I can hold a decent frogstand for one minute, but no progression in tuck planche for 3months. I do cast wall walks, and HSPUs also (back against the wall), and my free handstand has progressed from zero to 20seconds.

Thanks in advance.

-MS

EDIT: I´ve been doing pseudo planche push-ups also, but no help from there, they are in fact quite easy nowadays. My biceps are very strong, so i think it is more of a shoulder issue here?

• 1 month later...
Guest viking

Hi mikko

I've been working out according to coach sommers book BtGB now for a little over a year, so I'm relatively new to this as well.

I don't have a answer for your question, but a couple of remarks on some of the things you said.

According to my own experience, and what I've read on this forum, I'd say that the reason you can do this on rings, is because you can grip something, as opposed to pushing with a flat hand towards the floor. So getting a set of push up bars or something similar to that would help you work on tuck planch on the floor. Reason I mention it is that I reckon practicing on fixed bars is easier then on unstable rings.

One more thing I'd like to add, are you sure you can do a pseudo planch push up properly?

I'm not saying that it isn't possible for a beginner to be able to do that, I'm just asking because I thought I could do it at one time too.

As it turned out I had a wrong idea of how to do the movement, and I couldn't do it after all.

Your hands are supposed to stay fixed in the same spot relative to your body trough the entire motion. This means that your not supposed to start with your hands in line with your shoulders, and then bring them towards your hips as your descending.

You should keep your hands under your hips ( or close to the area of the hips) when starting the motion, in the middle of the motion, and at the end of the motion.

If you got the book the pictures are taken at an angle, so just looking at the pictures could lead to this misunderstanding. If your read the instructions to the progression however, you'll realize that the motion is supposed to be like what I described.

best of luck to you my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi mikko

I've been working out according to coach sommers book BtGB now for a little over a year, so I'm relatively new to this as well.

I don't have a answer for your question, but a couple of remarks on some of the things you said.

Hi there

As it seem to be very often with beginner issues, in this case it was also only a question of time. I took two weeks off completely from training, and it did wonders. I had my first training session after the break today, and everything i was struggling before the break, feels much more easier now. I also decreased my food intake a lot during the break, so i think my body respons alot better to training and eating now. Any comments on this, anyone? I´ve heard these kind of short "no training & not eating so much" -periods are very welcomed into otherwise so rutine-like training and eating.

edit: almost forgot: thanks for the reply my friend!

And what comes to pseudo planche pushups, im pretty sure the movement is correct. i can easily do 5x5, just like the way Slizzardman does in his video. With hand next to hips. im lacking something else, and i think its pretty much just constant correct and patient training, and TIME.

Joshua Naterman

Go for higher volume with the PPP to continue consolidating strength gains and build some work capacity. As for the floor planche, have you spent time in advanced frog? There is a LOT more stress on the inner elbow on floor than rings, and your hands/wrists must be significantly stronger on floor for tuck planche. It changes the stress all the way up to the shoulders when you're on floor. Advanced frog may help you a lot. It's helping me!

Another thing that WILL help, no matter what, will be incorporating scapular rotator work and internal/external rotator work, mostly external, including both strength training and stretching. Building strength in these muscles will immediately transfer to every upper body exercise you do, and increase your potential for strength gains. If you are deficient in any of those muscles in either flexibility or strength you'll be limited by that. Your body will 'know' that if it works any harder it will get injured, so the nervous system will artificially inhibit itself to avoid injury, resulting in no strength gains beyond a certain point for you. After finals I'll be making a video series with guidelines for incorporating this work permanently into your routine.

• 2 years later...
Stoqn Georgiev

is my training good            half of my max series    tucked planche hold  total 60 sec        my max   20 half 10sec  6 sets of 10 sec tucked planche :D          

handstand push ups 3 x 8

dips on bar 3 x 8

psuedo push ups   3 x 15

planche press 3x10

3 x 15 wide push ups

and core exercisec 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Coach Sommer unpinned this topic