Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deck Squat and some question

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

I have a question here regarding deck squat.I tried to do it and kinda hard to go up smoothly.Sometimes i can sometimes i cant

what should i do to master this basic?

Another question is which exercise can help achieve planche the fastest way ? coz i juz started to do the advanced frog stand and its kinda hard for me..I tried the tuck planche but i can only life only a few inch off the ground any tips? :lol:

You should be able to roll onto your feet depending on the various speeds you use. for example, if you cant get on your feet on a specific rep, roll faster on your next rep to insure that you do get to your feet.

The planche has no easy road. Planche leans and Planche push-ups will help build some specific muscles, but when it comes down to it, its just going to take a lot of practice. I have been on the adv frog stand for over a month now, and i can only hold it for 33s. It took Slizzard man four months to go from bent elbows in the adv frog stand to straight. it just takes time. Remeber not to rush yourself becasue elbow tendonitis sucks.

Work the advanced frog version. For planche, you'll also have to learn how to balance on your hands to some degree.

As for a deck squat, reach forward as your heels hit the floor. Don't try to situp early from the deck. Try to get your chest upright as possible before standing up.

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

haha yeah i should juz be patient then for the planche then :)

so the deck squat is depending on the speed of the roll k got it.oh yea how many rep n set is the best for leg exercises??

To start you try and go for 3x3. After you can do 3x3, go to 3x5, then 5x3, then 5x5. After you can do 5 sets with 5 reps, progress to the next exercise. Thats how I do it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Larry Roseman

Have been trying to get this forever. It's like my lower leg is too long. I sit up and reach forward

and get my butt about an inch off the ground before falling back.

Alternatively, using my arms like in those martial arts "bridge up onto your feet moves", and forcefully planting

my feet I can sometimes get up, but it's more due to momentum. It doesn't feel like a roll and a push.

I should add that I have fairly long lower legs and fairly heavy glutes, hams and adductors -

so heavy upper legs and a relatively high knee position when attempting to get up.

Is there a progression for this or is this the first rung of the ladder?

Alexander Moreen

Can you do the deck squat roll to just the bottom of a regular squat? Practice that without trying to press up out of it until you get the feel for it. That's where you should be before you start trying to push upwards.

Larry Roseman
For some new gymnasts, I might use a mat behind their heels that they roll back on to get them a little higher.

That's a good point Blairbob. When I squat I can't get down without my heels coming up. So it makes sense it's true in reverse

too. I'm not sure if it's hamstring inflexibility, a balance or mechanical issue, but it is what it is!

If my heels were raised I'd also tend to fall forwards a bit onto my forefoot - currently I can't get on my foot at all.

Once I'm a squat position though Lavastine, getting up is no problem.

So thanks ... I'll play with that!

Larry Roseman

Won't be able to try this until Saturday, however what do you think about doing the roll on a 2 or 3" elevated mat,

so when the feet come down they are planted "that many inches" below the butt, making it easier to get up?

Aaron Griffin
Have been trying to get this forever. It's like my lower leg is too long. I sit up and reach forward

and get my butt about an inch off the ground before falling back.

Alternatively, using my arms like in those martial arts "bridge up onto your feet moves", and forcefully planting

my feet I can sometimes get up, but it's more due to momentum. It doesn't feel like a roll and a push.

I should add that I have fairly long lower legs and fairly heavy glutes, hams and adductors -

so heavy upper legs and a relatively high knee position when attempting to get up.

Is there a progression for this or is this the first rung of the ladder?

Roll harder/faster? I mean, to do deck pistols I really have to fling myself to get the body position right.

Larry Roseman
That's what I was talking about which generally involves folding a stacked mat in half.

Ah, I get it. I thought you meant under the heels only. That would actually raise the foot but tilt it forward.

It may take 6" of mat but whatever - it's a start.

Phrak, it's only possible if I push off with my hands behind my head too, and that's not a sure thing, maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 times it works.

I'm certain I never was intended to become a gymnast, however I am starting to like some of the traditional things like

rolling and headstands (head not hand yet). I'd like to do a bridge - can only do a head or neck bridge currently.

The arms just don't have lifting power behind my head. It's all just very slow going.

Still it's rewarding to accomplish and progress even a tiny bit, perhaps magnified because it is almost unnatural

to me.

Aaron Griffin
Phrak, it's only possible if I push off with my hands behind my head too, and that's not a sure thing, maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 times it works.

Hmm, when I do a deck squat, I roll up into nearly a shoulderstand. Steve Maxwell actually rolls back into a yoga Plow:

4AO6ZUiQnzs

Larry Roseman

Hmm, when I do a deck squat, I roll up into nearly a shoulderstand. Steve Maxwell actually rolls back into a yoga Plow:

4AO6ZUiQnzs

Those are good demonstrations, thanks. Mine doesn't look anything like them.

I also roll into a plow practically but it doesn't help me get up.

And I'm not weak in the legs department either. I can single leg press over my BW from 60 degrees perhaps.

Don't have the flexibilty or coordination for SLS though.

Aaron Griffin

I wonder... how's your lower back and hip hinge strength? Do you do KB swings and/or deadlifts at all? Reverse leg lifts?

Larry Roseman
I wonder... how's your lower back and hip hinge strength? Do you do KB swings and/or deadlifts at all? Reverse leg lifts?

Have just started deadlifting - keeping it light for now under 100lbs - and have done a fair amount of KB in the past - though more for cardio endurance than strength. RLL haven't performed, except from a pike during a hand stand and I do find that it is difficult to do more than 1 or 2 of them. I'd imagine it's harder doing it against gravity than from a prone position of course.

So probably average strength that way but not superior.

I suspect it's something with my body proportions and the disadvantageous leverage going on. But I'll try to produce a video sometime.

Thanks for asking!

For my Warmup, I'll roll back to yoga blow/basket but in general for a deck squat (the way I teach it to gymnasts) is to hit that yoga shoulderstand that we call a candlestick.

Think of letting the candlestick (which uses a hollow body), drop towards horizontal, and basically sitting up while placing the feet on the ground. This gets the momentum going forward rather than just trying to situp from the candlestick (which may be an effective ab exercise that way if you can pull it off. I have seen boxers do situp to decksquat by having their feet under heavy DB).

Larry Roseman

Sure, we do candlesticks as part of the warmup. Most people roll backwards in a ball for the deck squat, but I'll

give your falling forward candlestick approach a try. If it works, I'll buy you a beer :) Otherwise, I'll try it from the elevated

mat to my feet plant lower. Cheating, but still can somewhat prosper from it!

Larry Roseman

Hey Blairbob, I did have some luck with the candlestick approach. About half of the time I got up to my feet.

It did empart a lot of momentum and I did need an extra hop to stop.

But it's an improvement! Thanks!

Also did my best wall handstands today, actually against a folding wedge cushion.

Found keeping a maybe 1.5" mat under the heel of my palm near the wall to wrap my hands around kind of,

helped. It takes pressure off the wrist. Did around 10 and held several around 20 secs.

Also came closer to a bridge than before. The instructor lifted me, but I was able to get into the position,

where as until now I couldn't get my arms in the more-or-less right position.

Many crutches for now, but good omens nonetheless!

• 2 weeks later...
RICK MARVIN TING Ting

hi all, just wanna ask.I do not have a weighted vest.If I can do 5x5 deck squat jump for height n range should I keep doin it or just move on to SLS,cause I still cant find my balance doin SLS and my ankle hurt a bit while doin it.Another thing is i tried to do the natural leg curls but I cant seem to get up after getting down :x any tips??

For the floor NLC, you can use are your arms or fingertips to assist. Sometimes at the gym, we'll have the kids pull as much as they can, then push back to start with their hands or fingertips.

For the SLS, set something under your heel and that will help. It sounds like you still have some ankle mobility to work on as well.

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

I see,if i barely cant get up so i just use fingertips to pull while maintaining the muscle used for pulling right?

what can i do to increase the mobility of my ankle??Or i just have to keep doing SLS and let my ankle adapt just like doing planche progression cause I can feel the stress on my wrist when im doin it.

RICK MARVIN TING Ting

another thing i want to ask is I've been doing L sit progression so i manage to hold MAX 20sec . Ive been doin it in every exercise after warm ups and now i feel strain on my core.I tried to do L sit again but its kinda tough for me now cause of the strain.should I rest from doing this exercise ?or I just have to make it easier by doing the tuck sit??or reducing the hold time to 50 % ?