Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tucked front lever

jtaporco

after a month of training, i can finally do a tucked front level for 10 secs without my shoulder feeling like its going to pop out. before my should would burn 3 secs into it. just thought i'd share!! :D

Nice, I definitely need to up the number of times I work statics per week... Maybe in a few weeks though because I feel like I'm already doing too many other exercises...

right now i'm working L-sits, L-hangs, front lever tucked, and static handstands. i'm too scared to to the back lever though, i don't want to dislocate my shoulder.

how do you know when your shoulder is flexible enough to do the back lever?

I have to agree, the shoulder can be surprisingly flexible. Mine are horrible stiff! lol. From years of bench pressing of course. I am slowly gaining flexibility through some great stretching techniques. Jtaporco, I know exactly what you mean about being afraid of the back lever due to shoulder flexibility. I recommend lots of stretching until you can hang from the bar with your arms in the reverse direction. In case you don't know what I'm talking about... hang from the bar in chin up grip and do a back flip slowy while keeping your hands on the bar. You know, the thing you used to do on the monkey bars as a kid... :wink:

that's called a skin the cat right???

anyway, i have a friend who lifts a lot of weights and he tore his shoulder out. after surgery and 1 year recovery his shoulder still isn't the same pre-injury. so i just want to make sure i don't bite off more than i can handle.

thanks for the tips temet & gregor!

that's called a skin the cat right???

anyway, i have a friend who lifts a lot of weights and he tore his shoulder out. after surgery and 1 year recovery his shoulder still isn't the same pre-injury. so i just want to make sure i don't bite off more than i can handle.

thanks for the tips temet & gregor!

You shouldn't need anything to get you to the starting point of a back lever, just invert your self do some skin the cats. You really don't have to worry about dislocation if it feels to much for you to pull back up just let go and land on your feet. As for the comparison to your friend, its very different. Your friend was probably lifting more then he could handle at the time which caused the damage. While in the back lever it is just your body weight so there is a lot less of a risk.

And if that didn't throw you over the fence, go to a park with a few bars. Sooner or later you'll see a child run up, grab it, and invert themselves. They'll make they're way down to the ground and let go, some even go back up and hang there. The kids that let go just climb back onto the bar and do it again or run off and do something else. None of them get hurt at all.

David Picó García

Just do some skin the cats, and you will see how flexible you are, and I'm sure you will surprise, because at first is a strange position but it feels pretty solid after some tries. And with the lever i found the real pressure is in my elbow not the shoulders at all (well sure there is pressure on shoulders but the pressure on elbows is so high that i only feel there). The only 'risk' i see is to fall from a back lever to skin the cat aggressively but you can always drop the rings and fall on your feet.

There really is only a danger if you are not nowhere near strong enough to attempt the lever in the first place. Take it slow with skin the cats and tucked back levers first.

It will hurt your elbows at first, if this is too uncomfortable; simply attempt palms up.

i'm going to try it tonight when i get out of work. i have to say that so far my experience with this forum has been awesome! everyone is so friendly :D

Just do some skin the cats, and you will see how flexible you are, and I'm sure you will surprise, because at first is a strange position but it feels pretty solid after some tries. And with the lever i found the real pressure is in my elbow not the shoulders at all (well sure there is pressure on shoulders but the pressure on elbows is so high that i only feel there). The only 'risk' i see is to fall from a back lever to skin the cat aggressively but you can always drop the rings and fall on your feet.

your right, does the pressure in the elbow go away with time?

Yes, adaptation occurs but this strain is an abbreviated version of what a cross feels like on the elbows. Well, if you do it with the back of your elbows up, palms down.

Yes, adaptation occurs but this strain is an abbreviated version of what a cross feels like on the elbows. Well, if you do it with the back of your elbows up, palms down.

For croses it's more of the question, how are you turning your elbows. Turn your elbows like on p.bars when you lock elbows for not-bending. It's a big diffrent in a pressure, beacuse in that position the elbows are more fixed and stronger. It's only a problem to learn to hold a cross with elbows turned. I have never had any problems with my elbows and I always teach in that way.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Garre33

Nice job! Every day I work on statics I add a few seconds, so hopefully I'll have the advanced tuck front lever down by christmas!

i haven't even really started doing any planche work, i tried to do the tuck planche in the beginning but it hurt my shoulders too much. the only planche type thing i do is the pseudo planche pushup