Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post your favorite healthy recipes!

Joshua Naterman

yuri marmerstein

Luckily costco sells giant bags of frozen berries for a good price.

To buy them fresh would most certainly mean me eating all of it in one sitting and wondering where my money went.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Razz

• Rikke Olsen

• Joshua Naterman

• Larry Roseman

yuri marmerstein

Super Awesome Tuna Snack

1 can tuna

1 avacado

clove or two of fresh garlic, minced or pressed

1 lime

1 tomato

cilantro

1 Tbsp olive oil

spices of your choice

juice lime, dice tomato and cilantro, mix everything together

For those of us who are getting more and more strict on paleo and don't want to buy weird cereals with soy:

A bag of flax

Cocoa powder or a small amount of whey

Almond milk.

Stevia if needed

Mix all of it into a blender pour it into a bowl. The blender cracks the flaxseeds in half so they're not as huge. Now you have frosted flax. They're more than good. Unlike soy, they don't do weird things to your testosterone levels. Except raise it since flax is good for detoxing estrogen. I really like to take it before bed as I'm trying to lean out. It keeps me from being hungry because of the fiber and makes me feel like I'm not intentionally not eating a last meal. Plus, you'll be...cleaned out when you wake up to go to the bathroom the next morning.

Quick Start Test Smith

Sliz, do you grind your buckwheat groats when you get them from PleasantHillGrain? Think I could do it in a blender? :P

Joshua Naterman

I don't ever grind them, but I don't see why you couldn't! A magic bullet would do it for sure.

WitnessTheFitness

Here's one of my favorite Indian recipes since it's healthy, protein rich, easy, and very cheap. I usually bulk it up by adding potatoes, onions, kale, and other veggies, but here's the simplest form of the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 15oz can of garbanzo beans

3 cups finely chopped spinach

2 medium tomatoes

1/2″piece ginger

1 green chili

3 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 teaspoon cumin seed

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1/2 teaspoon red pepper adjust to taste

1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste

1/2 teaspoon garam masala

Method:

Drain the liquid out of the chickpeas and rince the chick peas well.

Blend the tomatoes, green chilies, and ginger to make a puree.

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.

Add the cumin seeds.

After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, red chili powder and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.

Tomato mixture will start leaving the oil and will reduce to about half in quantity.

Add spinach, and salt and one half cup of water and let it cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat covered.

Add the chickpeas and mash them lightly with a spatula so they soften Note: add more water as needed to keep the gravy consistency to your liking, and let it cook on low heat for 7 to 8 minutes.

Add the garam masala and let it cook for another minute.

fishermans stew

ingredients:

one stick of butter

1 tbsp olive oil

1 large onion - chopped

2 large potatoes - peeled and cubed

2 cloves garlic - chopped

1 can sun-roasted tomatoes

8 oz bottle clam juice

1 tsp crumbled oregano

1 tsp crumbled basil

1 lb of whitefish, cut into bitesize pieces

1 lb salmon, cut into bitesize pieces

1 lb shrimp

1 lb scallops

1 -10 oz can whole baby clams

course ground pepper to taste

melt butter in large pot.

saute onions and garlic until onions are soft.

add all the other ingredients, except seafood and pepper.

cook for 1 hour.

about 15 minutes before serving, add seafood and pepper to taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Toasted Chicken:

(feeds 2 people)

10 minutes preparation, 80 minutes cooking

Toaser Oven

2 Chicken Legs or Breasts, fat trimmed, part of skin left on top

Lots of green beans (as many as you can grab with 2 hands?)

Some pumpkin, or squash (fresh/raw) (clenched fist and a half?)

a small onion

1/2 large red pepper

Pinch of Salt

Lop tips off of green beans and put whole on oven tray

Slice pumpkin as thin as possible *don't bother taking off its rind, just wash well and cut off uglies*. Place on top of green beans

Chop onion and red pepper into largish bite sized chunks. Place on top of green beans, between pumpkin slices.

Put tray in toaster over on lower groove.

Put chicken on baking rack in toaster oven on upper groove.

Bake for 80 minutes (my oven says 425 F, but I think it's an under-powered liar)

Sprinkle a little salt on the veggies.

It tastes good because the chicken juices marinade the veggies. If you don't care about fat so much leave a larger portion of the skin on.

A very traditional recipe from here (Bahia), The ''Moqueca de Peixe" (or Fish Stew):

Ingredients:

1 kg of fish in slices

500 g of medium shrimp shelled

4 cloves garlic crushed

2 medium onions thinly sliced ​​

4 tomatoes thinly sliced

​​1 yellow pepper thinly sliced

​​6 tablespoons palm oil

250 ml coconut milk

2 limes squeezed

Parsley to taste

Salt and pepper to taste

How to Prepare:

1.Wash the fish and shrimp under running water, season them with the juice of lemons, garlic, salt and pepper

2.In a saucepan sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of palm oil, add the fish slices and prawns on top of the onion rings, tomato, pepper, parsley (optional) and the rest of the palm oil.

3.Cook over low heat until it boils and allow 5 minutes.

4.Add the coconut milk, so boil again, remove from heat and serve.

Tip: If cooked in a clay pot, the stew is much more delicious, plus a touch typical and original.

While it is accompanied by rice, beans and manioc here, may be accompanied by mashed yams, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed spinach (my preference). :)

pic:muqueca-de-peixe.jpg

• 1 month later...
Rikke Olsen

Summer recipe that tastes mighty good!

Koldskål (directly translated: "cold bowl" - don't ask me why)

6 egg yolks (you may prefer pasteurized)

6 tbsp sugar (or equivalent anything else; you may even not need this much - personal pref.)

1 vanilla pod

1 liter (~ 1/4 gallon) buttermilk (or you can use other fermented dairy; kefir probably works great)

Opt. 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Dissolve the sugar/sweetener in the egg yolks and vanilla (scrape the beans), add buttermilk/dairy, mix. Texture is runny; like buttermilk, lol.

Enjoy COLD on a summer day!

Traditionally, you put crumbled, sweet bisquit-ish thingies (kammerjunker) on top, but they are generally made from wheat, so... Well, you could add other toppings! Berries, for example! Whatever you like, really. Buckwheat flakes might be pretty nice!

• 2 months later...
Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

It's a delicious and very saciating recipe:

200 ml of heavy cream (preferable grassed-beef)

2 scoops of whey

half a tbspoon of cocoa

1 little pack of stevia

100 gr of almonds

mix everything and there you have a very delicious high-fat dessert

=)

Daniel Burnham

Im in college so I love simple recipes with few ingredients so here is one of my favorite goto ones:

Curry Chicken and sweet potatoes:

400ml can of coconut milk

1.5 cups of chicken stock

3tsp of curry paste (I use green)

2 sweet potatoes cubed

2 chicken breasts cubed

coconut oil.

In a heated deep frying pan or sauce pan put a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil and melt.

Fry the curry paste for about a minute (be careful that the oil is not overly hot or you will get oil sprayed on you)

mix in potatoes and chicken and stir until coated with the curry paste.

pour in coconut milk and stock, bring to boil, and then let simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
Rikke Olsen

Ridiculously easy buckwheat tortilla wraps, so you'll get around the corn (and estrogen ;))

Soak buckwheat overnight. Next morning, wash it, strain it, blend with yogurt/kefir/buttermilk/whatever + a little salt until smooth (you can probably use just water, but I haven't tried). Add water to make it a pretty thin batter - depending on how thick you want your tortillas. Spread on a hot pan, bake through; flipping is optional. BAM - tortilla. I usually add a little psyllium husk, and thinking about it, it may add to the durability/flexibility. I'll try it without.

Despite only consisting of 2 (or 3) ingredients, they hold up nicely and don't break. I was surprised myself.

The measures I use on a daily basis is 250g raw buckwheat + 100g yogurt + water. You can of course add seasonings ;)

You may even have success, post baking, to coat with a little oil (or not) and bake them in the oven to make buckwheat tortilla chips/nachos. I haven't tried myself.

Joshua Naterman
Ridiculously easy buckwheat tortilla wraps, so you'll get around the corn (and estrogen ;))

Soak buckwheat overnight. Next morning, wash it, strain it, blend with yogurt/kefir/buttermilk/whatever + a little salt until smooth (you can probably use just water, but I haven't tried). Add water to make it a pretty thin batter - depending on how thick you want your tortillas. Spread on a hot pan, bake through; flipping is optional. BAM - tortilla. I usually add a little psyllium husk, and thinking about it, it may add to the durability/flexibility. I'll try it without.

Despite only consisting of 2 (or 3) ingredients, they hold up nicely and don't break. I was surprised myself.

The measures I use on a daily basis is 250g raw buckwheat + 100g yogurt + water. You can of course add seasonings ;)

You may even have success, post baking, to coat with a little oil (or not) and bake them in the oven to make buckwheat tortilla chips/nachos. I haven't tried myself.

That's quite brilliant!

Bryce Warren

My PWO meal.

30g whey (I use vanilla cream)

1/2c coconut milk

1/2c blueberries

Not blended together, just mix in a bowl. Eating the whole blueberries is what makes it great.

As simple as it gets and delicious.

Joshua Naterman

I will suggest getting more carbs in there, but that's not too bad overall! Love the blueberries! You have just the right amount of fat there I think, so I would try and find a way to get some starchy carbs in as well. It will help a lot with protein utilization.

Rikke Olsen
I will suggest getting more carbs in there, but that's not too bad overall! Love the blueberries! You have just the right amount of fat there I think, so I would try and find a way to get some starchy carbs in as well. It will help a lot with protein utilization.
I think tapioca pearls would suit it perfectly!

Richard Duelley

I have 2 easy ones.

Start a coal or wood fire grill.

Slice eggplant (experiment with thickness), smear eggplant with extra virgin olive oil, season with italian seasoning or just salt and pepper to taste, grill until brown. I got this weird pumpkin like eggplant from a local farmer that was amazing, no idea what it actually was but he said it as a 'type of eggplant'. :mrgreen:

Go to your local farmers market and get some ears of sweet corn, put corn on grill, grill until corn its brown/black on the outside (dont husk or do anything to the corn until you are ready to eat it!). And do your best to not catch it on fire! :shock:

Great topic! :)

I'm a big fan of these pancakes:

6yBVMO260hk

I've made slight adjustements to this recipe:

- using normal (cow) milk instead of almond

- adding a banana and extra scoop of whey

- using 2 whole eggs instead of 3 whites

- no chocolate chips

I also tried to do pseudo ice-cream based on frozen banana:

- 2 frozen bananas

- scoop of whey protein

- few tablespoons of milk

- some frozen strawberries

It has the "pseudo" prefix, because if you put it back into the freezer don't expect it to stay creamy :lol: .

I based the "recipe" on this:

sgmNamppBIs

On my todo list is this amazing cheesecake recipe.

Also check out this youtube channel in case you want to try something new.

Richard Hamilton

Here's one I'm enjoying at the moment.

Ingredients:

Asparagus tips

Eggs

Streaky bacon

Wrap the asparagus tips in the bacon, put in the oven (on about 180-200 centigrade) for 10 mins. Meanwhile, soft boil some eggs and the dunk the asparagus/bacon soldiers into the soft eggs. Yum!

Joshua Naterman

That sounds great!!! Will be trying to make this soon :)

What is "streaky" bacon, is that just referring to the appearance so it looks cooler?

Richard Hamilton

Had to look that up Josh, not so good with my cuts of meat... I just know I like bacon! :D

Streaky is from the belly rather than the loin where back bacon comes from. Its narrower than back bacon so it wraps around the asparagus much easier.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.