Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post your favorite healthy recipes!

Joshua Naterman

Joshua Naterman

I'll start off. I decided to have several friends over for "Breakfast at Dinner" last night and due to my current strict diet regular pancakes were not an option. Instead, I made homemade buckwheat pancakes. The total prep time was MAYBE 3 minutes. This recipe makes about seven 6-8" pancakes, so probably 15-20 3-4" pancakes. I like big pancakes. These are sugar free.

100% Gluten and Sugar Free Buckwheat Pancakes

1 cup buttermilk (I used homemade kefir)

1 beaten whole egg

3 tablespoons butter, melted

1.5 cups buckwheat flour

1.5 tablespoons splenda (the stuff that measures the same as sugar)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1) Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and splenda (or your desired sweetener) together in a bowl. I used a fork.

2) Melt your butter, pour into the flour mix, and pulp it up. There will be a bunch of small buttery flour chinks and a bunch of still powdery flour.

3) Add the egg and milk and mix together. You can do them together or one after the other, doesn't matter. I do milk then egg.

4) Cook Pancakes!!!

5) Enjoy peoples' reactions as they realize how f-ing tasty these are! My friends were like wow... we need to have these on a regular basis, this is awesome!!!

Of course we also had bacon and eggs with onions and peppers and a diced jalapeno mixed into the eggs, but the main point is this: ENJOY YOUR BREAKFAST! It can taste incredible and still be good for you.

I like these without the splenda added as well, but I will admit that adding the splenda DOES help a bit. Regular sugar is fine too, I mean if you think about it that's like 1.5g of fructose per pancake and seriously, that is just fine. I was just using Splenda to be truly 'sugar' free.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Razz

• Rikke Olsen

• Joshua Naterman

• Philip Chubb

Joshua Naterman

This one is astonishingly simple:

1) Cut yams in half longways.

2) Slice into 1/2" or slightly more than 1cm thick slices.

3) Steam for 7 minutes.

4) Enjoy! These taste great and are unbelievably good for you.

Note: Those who research yams may have concerns about possible estrogenic properties, but all this research is done on women. It appears that the primary hormone raised is gonadotropin, which causes estradiol to be produced in women but causes TESTOSTERONE to be produced in men.

As there is no research to back up any claims one way or the other about the effects in men, I can not say whether this influences testosterone levels or not. I plan on running some experiments with blood tests to see how this affects my levels of both hormones, but I am eating these regularly as a major carb source and getting stronger + leaner quite easily.

Also, these are used in Japan to successfully treat diabetes, something about the purple chemicals in the tubers. It turns out that the steaming is by far the best method to cook these, as it seems to preserve these chemicals to a much greater extent than boiling or pan cooking AND destroys the compounds that deactivate the purple chemicals. Go figure.

Bruno Cochofel

Sliz, when you talk about homemade kefir, can you explain how do you prepare it?

I will receive some kefir, and in the past I've used some with milk, but it was really "powerful", not a soft taste, but really "powerful".

John Sapinoso

My favorite pancake recipe that I just had earlier today:

50g coconut milk powder

1 scoop of unflavored whey (34g to the rounded scoop for mine)

1 scoop of desiccated coconut (use the same scoop)

3 eggs (organic omega 3 enriched is best) or something like 2 dozen quail eggs or 1/16 an ostrich egg if you're really adventurous.

a dash of salt (optional)

a dash of coconut sugar (optional)

a dash of vanilla extract (optional)

drizzle with ghee/honey/coconut sap and top with crushed banana chips (only when fiending for sweets like a madman)

cook with VCO: makes 3 pancakes which can constitute a large portion of a single meal if you eat 6 times a day

One of my staples:

500g raw grassfed ground beef

1 lemon or 8 calamansi

3 tablespoons VCO

3 tablespoons VOO

raw garlic, several cloves

a dash of salt (optional)

feeds 1 ravenous carnivore for half his meals in a day

One of my absolute favorites and extremely simple:

Marinade some grass fed tenderloin in equal parts ghee and coconut oil, massage it in (with clean hands...) place in the fridge for 24-72 hours. Taste and texture improves the longer you let it soak in. Do not bring to room temp before cooking. Use some of the "frozen coconut oil/ghee and flake it off onto the pan on high heat. Sear for 30 seconds on top bottom and any exposed sides and warm for 1 minute on lowest heat setting on one side.

I literally almost cried last time I had this because it was just that amazing and I didn't have any more in the fridge. Best served on the side of another steak, or a large mixed vegetable medley.

"Pinakbet"

This is my take on a traditional Ilokano (northern Philippines) vegetable dish

1 eggplant sliced in diagonal pieces

1/4 squash cut in bite sized pieces, thin rectangles cook faster than cubes though

6-8 okra

1/2 bitter melon (this tends to have an overpowering taste, but throw in the whole thing if you like it, sometimes I just leave it out)

1 bell pepper bite sized pieces(not in the traditional recipe but I like how it tastes with coconut)

a few cloves of garlic...to taste - minced

cook in vco, squash first, then okra, bittermelon/ bell pepper next then eggplant and garlic last salt to taste

add 1/4 cup water and 50g powdered coconut milk (blasphemy that i use this instead of the real thing) stir

remove or set aside

cook 200 g(more or less...) ground beef 75% of the way then toss the veggies and coconut milk on top of it

stir and mix thoroughly till finished.

For you adventurous folk:

Take 150 grams raw grass fed liver, dice into bite sized pieces, save the blood. Squeeze in 1 lemon or 1 lime or about 6-8 calamansi. Dash on a bit of pepper and salt to taste. If recently thawed, I find it tastes best after "aging" in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

I have some beef heart, brain, liver and fat on order for next week, I'll be sure to post some good recipes [=

Christian Sørlie

One of my favorite treats. A little difficult to get right consistency wise, but great either way :-)

Banana Bread

2-3 mashed bananas

2-3 egg yolks

Honey or maple syrup to taste

1 ts baking soda

Almond flour enough to make the dough semi solid

Preparation:

Preheat oven to about 330 F.

Cook in middle of oven.

Mash the bananas and egg yolks together add baking soda.

Mix enough almond flour to make the batter more solid, but it will still be very runny, you won’t get dough, but more of a sticky paste.

Cook for about 45 min, until it’s a dark brown and just a little sticky inside, this will dry once it cools.

A very tasty treat.

Oh man this is goooood

I am usually too tired from training to do fancy stuff. Here's my two favorite ways to prepare sweet potatoes.

1:

50grams butter or coconut oil

300g sweet potato

salt and cinnamon

peel and cut sweet potato into small fries. Fry in the butter with PLENTY of cinnamon and salt. I doubt it's the healthiest way to prepare them, but I do it occasionally as a treat.

2:

Cut sweet potatoes into fries and mix them together with olive oil and salt. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes at 180 deg.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely palatable brussel sprouts!

Get your brussel sprouts, give them a rinse, cut in half or quarters, however big you pieces you like.

Fire up under a pan/skillet, steam the sprouts. When just about done, let whatever water there may be evaporate, then add onion powder, paprika, a little pepper, salt. Cumin and other spices work super well, too! And finally, some butter (however much you like :mrgreen:) Fry for a few moments to get it all coated and roast.

Here, you have an excellent serving of lovely brussel sprouts! :D

John Sapinoso

Bulalo:

boil 1 kg meaty bones (shank cut with bone in and marrow) with a few chopped onions, a bit of garlic, some bok choy salt and pepper for about an hour.

I would only recommend this dish with a high quality grassfed meat source...

Frikadeller - danish meatballs

4_300.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikadeller

Recipes:

http://www.danishnet.com/info.php/food/frikadeller-meatballs-209.html

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7132/frikadeller--danish-meatballs-.aspx

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2227,155180-235200,00.html

Basically its ground pork, optionally mixed with beef, + chopped onions, eggs, milk, and salt and pepper. (and flour, or breadcrumbs if you like). Fry 'em in butter or oil. Sounds plain right, but is actually very tasty.

1kg game meat

1kg veggies

cook for 1 hour in water and boom..food for the day! :D

Baked sweet potatoes with butter has made an entry into my top5 PWO foods aswell..damn it's good.

Ooooh, how could I forget one of my favourite foods!

Take parsnips, peel them, cut into sticks, drizzle with oil/lard/tallow, salt + pepper, place in pre-heated oven (not too hot) for about an hour.

O-M-G! I love baked parsnip fries! They're better than potato fries!

Quick Start Test Smith

@Razz - No kidding! Sweet potatoes are so good. You should try them with a bit of salt as well as the butter. So good :D

yuri marmerstein

a nice dessert for when you want to cheat

1 scoop chocolate protein

1 packet sugar free gelatin, your choice of flavor

3-4 oz heavy whipping cream

1 Tbsp chia seeds

water

Mix jello in a bowl with one cup boiling water.

Mix protein with heavy cream and enough water to make one cup total

Mix jello and cream/protein together

Add Chia seeds

Stir

Leave in fridge for a couple hours

Tastes like ice cream but has nice amount of protein, fat and fiber with few carbs

yuri marmerstein

Protein energy balls

one scoop chocolate protein

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 Tbsp cacao powder

1 tsp cinnamon

2 heaping Tbsp peanut/almond butter

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1 Tbsp honey

In a saucepan, mix the wet ingredients on low heat, then mix in dry ingredients. You can do this by hand in a bowl without adding heat, but it mixed better on the stove

Spoon out on wax paper, place in fridge/freezer for a while to cool and enjoy. Lots of calories but enough fat and fiber to offset the honey.

This is a nice snack to take with you when you are out for a while. I often find it hard not to eat all of them in one sitting though

Organic Fire roasted tomato sauce (hard to find)

Whatever seasoning you like Thyme Oregano Garlic and Onion for me

Spaghetti squash.

Roast the squash, cook the sauce with the seasoning. Add together. Paleo Spaghetti.

Joshua Naterman

Spaghetti squash.

Roast the squash, cook the sauce with the seasoning. Add together. Paleo Spaghetti.

I had something similar to this, only the sauce wasn't organic. F-ing excellent!

Sliz, are your pancakes fluffy or thin? Just wondering. I guess adding some beer could help. I like fluffy pancakes.

Some of my favorite recipes are meatballs. Very convenient to warm up and eat for a snack especially when I wouldn't get till late because of coaching and working out at the gym.

Another one of my favorites is the ole' Tritip in an oven on a broiler rack. Stupid easy for a bachelor. Way better if marinated but pretty good without one and just some Worcestershire and spices.

Spaghetti squash.

I had something similar to this, only the sauce wasn't organic. F-ing excellent!

It is delicious! Unfortunately, as I was eating it and typing this out, I later found out I am intolerant to squash. Lovely.

Actually another favorite of mine is just plain berries. Works well with almost anything and is extremely healthy. My favorite berries are raspberries and blueberries.

If you want to 'cheat' a bit, add some full fat (grassfed organic blablabla) milk to it :D

Joshua Naterman
Actually another favorite of mine is just plain berries. Works well with almost anything and is extremely healthy. My favorite berries are raspberries and blueberries.

If you want to 'cheat' a bit, add some full fat (grassfed organic blablabla) milk to it :D

Howdy, stranger!

OOOH yea, I love berries! And whole fat milk with the bla blas... Drink it every day :)

Boysnberries > Blue, Rasp, and Black berries but you will be hard pressed to find them anywhere but a farm or growing naturally somewhere.

I am intolerant to the taste of Squash. :?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.