Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post your favorite healthy recipes!

Joshua Naterman

Joshua Naterman
Had to look that up Josh, not so good with my cuts of meat... I just know I like bacon! :D

Streaky is from the belly rather than the loin where back bacon comes from. Its narrower than back bacon so it wraps around the asparagus much easier.

And people say bacon is simple... :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Razz

• Rikke Olsen

• Joshua Naterman

• Philip Chubb

Fermented potatoes? Vodka?

HAHA yeah this was just a tricky way to sound healthy ;-)

All kidding aside, the recipe is quite simple.

1) Peel and cook potatoes or preferred starch (beet/sweet potato works too I imagine).

2) Mix with fermented dairy of choice and seasalt to taste

3) Leave in a glass jar covered with cloth on the kitchen table for 48 hours

4) eat/store in fridge in airtight jar

Larry Roseman

Made this for lunch today and it was very tasty, fast and simple. Very filling and left me with a good taste buzz. Can use a variety of seafood, but I used NZ Greenshell mussels, that are sold in 1lb or 1kg boxes. These are frozen on the half-shell and I laid 7 of them shell down on medium heat in a saucepan to thaw out. Shortly after added about 2 cups of frozen veggies (broc, tomatoes) and some fresh zucinni on top to trap steam. Added maybe 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon potassium salt, some black pepper, parsley and basil. Covered and let simmer. After around 7-8 minutes when stuff was thawed mixed it up with the mussels on top for another 7 minutes and recovered. Added a splash of white wine for flavour (optional) . Added some fresh basil to top. Left to simmer a few minutes uncovered.

No oil or sauce was added, so it's a bit different than a stir fry. The flavour that comes through is predominantly the seafood and herbs. Could do it with a variety of shell fish or regular fish. It all cooks quickly just watch out for over cooking. Poured into bowl, served with 3 Rivita crispbreads to soak up any extra juice.

30 minutes total to prepare and cook.

Total Calories: 391

Carbs:36, Fat: 7, Protein 30+

Fiber 10, Potassium 825mg

Larry Roseman

Nice to sip in between meals instead of coffee ...

Mix dry ingredients

Whey Protein Isolate Powder Vanilla, 20g

Nestle - Milo Dry Mix 1.5 Tablespoons (or tsp pure cocoa powder + dextrose)

Instant Coffee, 1 teaspoon or less

1/8 cup Sweet Whey powder (SWP) (optional)

Add about 1/4 cup milk, and mix to "dissolve" the dry ingreds

Add a cup of boiling water SLOWLY.

Add additional dextrose or splenda to taste.

1) Adding boiling water to protein powder directly I find causes the protein to coagulate. Makes

an interesting but not very tasty cheese like substance, perhaps a form of ricotta. In any event,

I mix the dry ingredients first with milk and then add the boiling water slowly, which

seems to prevent this.

Could also just use chocolate PP but I don't have that personally.

It the coffee kick, plus 25g protein, around 25-30 carbs and about 5 fat.

785g potassium ( 500mg from sweet whey powder which is optional).

About 250 cals total...

Larry Roseman

Gotta add fresh grilled sardines to this. Very easy to make.

They are sold "fresh frozen" usually from Portugal for about $2-3 a pound.

The scales come off with your fingers. Pull out the dorsal and the tiny fins by the gills.

Gut the fish. Not sure if you can eat the innards but I don't. Leave the head and tail on as it holds

the fish together.

Marinate with olive oil, salt, garlic or garlic powder, oregeno or parsley, pepper for a few hours.

Toss on a hot bbq grill a few minutes on each side.

When the meat separates from the bone cleanly it's done. It won't take long on a hot grill.

Serve with lemon. Had some by themselves and also mixed in with quinoa and vegetables.

There is a little work in the prep, but you do feel like you earned your meal with this one.

Larry Roseman
Great topic! :)

I also tried to do pseudo ice-cream based on frozen banana:

- 2 frozen bananas

- scoop of whey protein

- few tablespoons of milk

- some frozen strawberries

It has the "pseudo" prefix, because if you put it back into the freezer don't expect it to stay creamy :lol: .

I based the "recipe" on this:

sgmNamppBIs

Thanks, will try this out. You added the whey whereas the video didn't use it, right?

Usually have eaten enough protein by the time I get to dessert, but it could make for a mid-day stack too!

Thanks, will try this out. You added the whey whereas the video didn't use it, right?

Usually have eaten enough protein by the time I get to dessert, but it could make for a mid-day stack too!

Yes, I added my lovely whey protein as an extra ingredient in that recipe. Just don't let it to freeze again - consume it right after making it.

There are some other recipes on the channel that have properties more closely resembling a real ice-cream, but I haven't tested them.

Banana breakfast pancakes:

Mash a banana stir in some organic peanut butter add in one egg and use a fork to whisk into a batter. Heat a pan and pour in the batter in small pancakes.

These are so tasty but didn't fill me up so I add in some oats and milk to make them much more filling goes well with some berries on the side for a quick and filling breakfast.

• 1 month later...
Bobby Bogdanovski
Protein energy balls

one scoop chocolate protein

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 Tbsp cacao powder

1 tsp cinnamon

2 heaping Tbsp peanut/almond butter

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1 Tbsp honey

In a saucepan, mix the wet ingredients on low heat, then mix in dry ingredients. You can do this by hand in a bowl without adding heat, but it mixed better on the stove

Spoon out on wax paper, place in fridge/freezer for a while to cool and enjoy. Lots of calories but enough fat and fiber to offset the honey.

This is a nice snack to take with you when you are out for a while. I often find it hard not to eat all of them in one sitting though

This is absolutely brilliant! Just tried it a few days ago. I stored a few in the fridge. They taste beautiful and work so well as a snack

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Joshua Naterman
Oh wow. Sweet potato is so versatile, it depends how you want to eat it! Here are some ideas

1. steam, then mash with some roast garlic and milk

2. dice, parboil in the microwave then oven roast in hot olive oil, I always do this to add to my vegetarian Chilli, doesn't go as crispy as a regular spud, but the outside caramelizes nicely.

3. Pumpkin soup! I always add a sweet potato to my pumpkin soup. Dice 1/2 a pumpkin, 1 carrot and 1 whole sweet potato, heat up some oil in a pan and fry up some ginger, ground cumin and coriander seed, fry the pumpkin and sweet potato until the outside just begins to brown. Add water and a dash of soy sauce, bring to boil and let simmer til soft. take off the heat and then blend with a stick blender, add a generous amount of black pepper and a dash of cream if you want it. Garnish with a sprig of fresh coriander leaf.

4. probably one of the easiest, and one of my favourites, get 1 peeled raw sweet potato, use your vegetable peeler to "peel" the raw spud into thin ribbons, lay them on a tray, spray on a bit of olive oil and oven bake into chips! eat as is, or with hommus.

Lifted to this thread because these are outstanding recipes! Thanks Primate!

• 1 month later...
Joshua Naterman

I just made excellent gluten-free pumpkin bread deluxe!

8 oz pumpkin, 1 banana mushed up, 1 apple chopped up, 1.5 cups gluten-free bread mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup molasses and 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp each of vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Oh, and 1/4 cup olive oil mixed with 1/4 cup melted organic butter.

Baked for 70 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit and BOOM! Awesome bread. Let it cool 1 hour, tried a slice, and it was great.

This bread has virtually no air in it so it is extremely dense, which is exactly what I want for PWO food. You can actually think of it as more of a not-disgusting fruit cake than a bread if you like.

The gluten free bread mix was from Bob's Red Mill.

Joshua Slocum

Delicious breakfast:

Mix together:

8oz plain, nonfat greek yogurt (make sure you get the real stuff. It should almost be thick enough to spread; protein per serving should be roughly double the carbs per serving.)

2tbp cocoa powder

Add:

2tbp nut butter, or 4 tbp wheat germ, or 1 handful nuts

1 handful berries

If you have a sweet tooth you'll probably want to add some honey or some more fruit, as the yogurt+cocoa is not very sweet and slightly bitter.

Quick dinner (~30 minutes prep time)

Makes 2-3 meals, or more if you scale up the ingredients:

2 lbs frozen breaded chicken breast strips (make sure you get actual breasts and not tenders. Tenders are essentially ground up chicken byproduct and fuller: often have more fats and carbs than actual protein).

3 lbs frozen vegetables

2 cans water chestnuts (optional: I just like the crunch)

1 head garlic (can substitute 2tbp garlic powder)

1inch section of ginger root (or 2 tbp ginger powder)

- Cook chicken in oven as directed on package

- Put veggies in large pan with a lid on top; let cook while preparing the next step

- Peel and roughly chop garlic and ginger; fry in a little sesame or olive oil. If you're using powder, you can skip this step.

- Add garlic, ginger and oil to vegetables. Keep cooking until they're hot.

- Take chicken out of the oven, chop it up, and add to stir fry. Season with soy sauce.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.