Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Free Handstands

John Dalton

Hey people

Just wanna know when can I start on free handstands. I can already hold a wall handstand for 60s. And how do i get there.

I get confused about straight back and arched back handstands. I tried arched back free handstands as i heard they were easier, but i just can't hold them. Yeah, by the way, i can hold a free headstand for 30+s(haven't tested my max).

Thanks in advance guys

In my opinion you can start work on Freestanding at that point, but don't let it get in the way of any other technical or shoulder opening work.

If you aren't arching then that's a great sign most people will arch significantly more when starting free HS. It spreads the point of balance. Losing the arch has been my biggest struggle.

But I don't really get it when you said "If you aren't arching then that's a great sign most people will arch significantly more when starting free HS".

I have already attempted a free HS, but I can't arch my back without losing balance (I think its also lack of strength). I can hold a Straight back free HS for about 2s before falling down. Do you think its my triceps that's holding me back? I can do plenty of ring dips and hip push-ups. But when you see little gymnast girls doing arched HS and straddle planches, it confuses me as (I'm not boasting) I have a much more developed upper body.

Thanks once again

You want a straight back in a HS. Don't worry about not being able to arch, it's a different thing and will only cause your problems at this stage.

Alessandro Mainente

in the past i focused my self into try to be as near as possible to the wall, this is a great thing to increase the shoulders extension and flexibility also you increase your ability to maintain a correct body position

In gymnastics, we tend to work toward free handstands on day 1 when they are 2 or 3 or 50. Then again, that's generally with just donkey kicks. :lol:

Simply practicing them is how you get there. Get into a knee lunge on the floor and kick one leg up towards vertical. When you can get it vertical, then try to chase the first leg with the second leg so they switch in the air alternating. Then try and kick and tap the first leg with the second leg. Shoot for shirt of vertical.

If you can find some sort of landing surface like a futon or air mattress or gymnastics landing mat (I generally recommend 12" of matting for adults if not 16") you can practice kick to handstand to flatback where you aim to hit handstand and fall on the mat in an outstretched HS position.

A gymnastics wedge mat can also be used in similar fashion.

wow! they work on free handstands in the first day? No wonder these guys are monsters when they grow up.

Thanks for the tips people!!! Using a mattress sounds like a good idea.

The only thing more basic skillwise than a HS is a roll besides basic positions like straight, pike, straddle, lunge, squat, toepoint, plank and hang.

Mattresses and futons are cheaper than gymnastic mats unless you can find old gymnastic mats that a gym is getting rid of.