Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

beginner handstand routine help

Jhaek

my goal is to learn perfect handstand but im not sure what routine should I follow.I'm a total beginner in handstands so I need some help with my basic routine.I also must do mobility work for my shoulders to open during the handstand.So my handstand routine is like 6x10 secs every day stomach to wall HS then I do some mobility work and thats all .Please help me!Thanks

I am not quite expert as many people in this forum but i would suggest you to do some of these: (to improve shoulder flexibility and range of motion)

Wall-extensions

Scapula push ups

Shoulder dislocation

yeah im doing exactly those but Im asking about my handstand routine , what should it look like ? thanks for the answer anyway =)

I got mine with help from some of the moderators, so you might want to take a look.

I do Handstands thrice a week (you can see it in my sig.). In each session (and pretty much before every workout) I do shoulder mobility. Stick dislocators, Wall extensors, and some rotaror Cuff work with bands.

Then, I set a timer to 12 min, and proceed to start my Handstand work. I start with a couple of Stomach-to-wall sets of about 20 secs with as much of a straight body as I can muster (hands about 6 in from the wall at this point). Rest about 30-45 secs between holds. I then proceed to do as many back-to-wall as possible, but focusing on freestanding (kicking up to the wall, and then let my feet drift away from the wall to practice balance). These will look more banana-ish than the first 2, but the main point here is to practice my balance.

When I see my timer is close to going off, I finish with one last hold of stomach-to-wall to wrap up the handstand work with clean form.

As my stomach-to-wall improves, the form of the back-to-wall ones will as well. And the fact that I'm practicing freestanding handstands to some degree should help in the long run to be able to kick up, and hold them without a wall catching me up.

Hope it gives some idea?

I would say spend about 15-30 minutes doing HS work. Just doing HS drills and kicking up to HS. Roughly 25 attempts.

Finish up with about 2-3 minutes of HS on the wall volume. This is the strength training for HS while the above is the skill.

Adjust as needed to 15 reps and 1-2m if it's too taxing.