Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WARNING! HS wall runs can be hazardous to your health!

Blythe Tait

Yesterday was my handstand workout (I'm doing workouts one week later than their posting). I was finishing up with the 10 minutes of handstand wall runs, resting when necessary (and it was frequently necessary); it was coming up to the end of the 10 minutes, so I made an extra effort to get up and stay up. I was really fatigued, but I stayed there until the timer beeped, and with relief started to walk my legs down the wall when my shoe caught on a little hat hook on the door!!

I shook my foot around a bit to loosen it: nothing. I pushed up on my arms as hard as I could to give me some slack: no joy there, either. Big problem. I knew the worst thing would be to take the weight off my arms, making the shoe slide even more firmly onto the hook, but I couldn't help it, my arms were too fatigued. So I just hung there, strung up like a Christmas turkey, snickering a bit at how funny it must look.

I was worried about reaching up and trying to undo my shoe in case the laces broke while I was inverted and I cracked my back or head on the hard floor. I tried to see if I had the flexibility to bring one leg down into a kind wall split to take some of my weight (I didn't have).

I hung there a bit longer, considering the situation (closest neighbours more than a kilometre away, husband away on a work trip, kids needing to be picked up from school) when thankfully, my lace snapped and I came crashing down. Luckily, the hook had only skewered through about a third of the lace, so it was easier to break. If it had looped around the full lace, I may still be there now. :shock:

I still get the giggles thinking of it.

So, moral of the story, CHECK the WALL you are HSing against and make sure you keep clear of hooks! :wink:

Rafael David

hahaha the funniest thing of the day! :lol:

nice tip!Now I'll always check where I do the hs wall runs! This can be dangerous! haha :)

Don't wear shoes, just socks. I prefer to wear those short ankle cut socks since you can slip them on and off quickly versus a full sock. It's handy for doing stuff off the wall like HS/HSPU or bouncing on tramp.

Bruno Cochofel

sorry but reading this I couldn't help but laugh.. funny story.. glad you're ok ;-)

John Sapinoso

so i'll just go ahead and ask the question on everyone's minds...was it filmed?

Adam Bodestyne

lol, well, glad it didn't result in any serious injuries or anything. :P

In my own room, my dedicated section of wall for handstand work previously had a certificate or picture or something hanging there, which I've since taken off, but the small hook remains. I think from now on I will certainly be more mindful of that hook. (c:

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA!!! That's one of the best stories ever posted here. Good work, Blythe!

Edit: You can share the video :D