Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Improving the HS without stomach-to-wall?

Aaron Griffin

Aaron Griffin

I am at the point where I believe my HS skill work is stagnating because I do not have a safe place to learn the stomach to wall HS. My apartment is very small, and I have no logical room which would allow me to roll out of a stomach-to-wall handstand.

That said, I still do stomach-to-wall on occasion, but make sure I don't go too far, and am not fatigued so I can walk out of it.

But my free balancing sucks and I don't know what to do about it. I spend 10 minutes before each workout working on skill. My kick-up is pretty good, and all that, and can balance for all of 3-6 seconds before falling. But I don't feel like I'm progressing.

Any pointers for someone who is unable to due stomach-to-wall work due to safety concerns?

Gavin Strelitz

Having just completed a seminar I would have to agree that stomach to wall is essential for HS development. Follow Tsoonami's advice.

Aaron Griffin
Is there no suitable wall outside-but-nearby your apartment?

Not one that I could regularly use before my workout, no. I mean, I could move furniture every time, but that would be quite the ordeal.

The other option is to "figure it out" and use what little space I have and just roll out of the handstand over and over so that I can learn how to stop my body before knocking over bookshelves and things. This seems dangerous, but if you guys believe it's the best option, I'll take it

Adam Bodestyne

Hmm, well I guess if you're really pressed for space to the point that it'd be dangerous, you'd have to be.. pretty careful with it. But it is a fairly important part of the HS work, so.. hmm.

Well, I don't know how much/little space you have to work with, or what particular obstacles are in the way, but maybe you could set up some sort of padding just in case you do crash into things. :P

Bruno Cochofel

Maybe you can think the other way and make the little place work for you.. maybe you can work in a way like parallel bars that prevent you from falling to the front and make something stop you. If you fall one way you go to the wall, if you fall the other way maybe you can put there also something to stop you.. can you do that?