Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can someone give me a routine?

Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com

Hey, i wish to gain alot of strength, i been doing weightligting for some time but i really want to get into gymnastics. Im so used to weightlifting routines, helping people out with powerlifting routines and bodybuilding routines i dont know how to design the gymnastic routines. I cannot find anywhere for guide, i mean i tried asking somewhere else about a routine i made but no replies, so i asume its not very good.

so is it possible one of you experts can help me out? I dont think i can do the WOD because i dont have a set of rings or a sledge or any place i can take a kettlebel and run...

All i have is a pullup bar, 2 chairs for dips, the floor, my body, a wall. Rings are far too expensive for me.

I can do 5 single legged squats, around 13 chinups but i took a few days off and for some reason im down to 5 wide grip pullups, and i can do 12 half rom Chest dips (not strong enough to go all the way to the bottom, stop at 90 degree)

I have practiced some levers like front and back. But i want a workout routine rather than just random training where i dont even know if im training properly :/

I can workout 3x a week, M/W/F :)

thank you, i hope you can help me

http://www.google.com/search?q=homemade+rings&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I generally recommend the WOD, especially if you are not the type to commit to focused programming day in day out.

Costs maybe 20-25 bucks. Straps and buckles are the most expensive thing unless you have strong enough rope or chain lying around.

Basic program for you.

Pick 2 push and pull exercises. For you I would make it easy. Pullups (alternate supinated/pronated grip from workout to workout), Body Rows (horizontal pullups), Dips, and Pseudo planche pushups.

Tack on the Basic Pre-FSP series. These are developmental positions that must be mastered before working on the levers and planche or basic ring strength. It's a good idea to warm these up using shrugs in each position before doing the holds.

Hang in pronated grip 60s

Straight arm plank in 60s fingers forward

Hang in supinated grip 60s

Reverse plank (like a crab walk position but straight legs) for 60s [THIS ONE IS SUPER IMPORTANT FOR SHOULDER HEALTH, we should all be working towards Manna but getting this in is a start]

Optional: Side Planks. They are good but they can be tough to begin with. Still they are good.

Inverted Hang 60s

German Hang 60s (until you get a bar, tree, or rings you will have to simply do this as a reverse plank with feet on swiss ball or as a stretch http://drillsandskills.com/stretching/Shoulder/sd005)

Hollow Hold 60s

Arch hold 60s

Honestly you should be able to hit these for 3 sets back to back with little rest. If you cannot hold these positions, you do not need to worry about the levers and planche. I think you should do at least the shrugs even if you do not care about mastering the static FSP positions.

Whether you do the pre-FSP holds or not, you should work the L-sit and at least seated straddle leg lifts http://drillsandskills.com/images/articles/stradllsm.jpg

Working up to a 60s hollow, arch, and L-sit are pretty important, IMO. If you cannot do 60s in one hold, I would recommend working up to a volume of 1m split into holds that are 50-75% of your 1rm. So if your max is 10s, try doing holds of 5-8s. 12-8 of them. If this is too much, start off with a volume of just 30s and add 15s every 2-3 weeks.

I like to recommend some HS work in there. Yeah, I know this seems a lot. Honestly, you can input the HS holds into your Pre-FSP WU after doing any pre-FSP that is a hang. So basically you're supersetting Hang, Support. Or you could input Wall HS or HS Wall walks like the GB HS WOD's. I would try to start out with the 30s on/45s off. Find an angle on the wall you can hit the 30s for 5-6 rounds. Or you could try using a much steeper angle and hit those for 10-20s.

So if you finally get all this done (besides a short WU), you can hit the FSP's.

If you're looking for aims for true strength, I would start off with 3 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 3. Roughly it should be no more than 80% 1rm but you could start off with 50% 1rm just to be easy on the joints. You should know the higher % of 1rm, the more towards needing something on order of 3-5 minutes of rest. You could try to superset the push/pull. When you can do 10r, use a harder progression and do that for 3x3-5 or 5x3-5. So for you, it would be most like using wide arm pullups. I would go with wide arms instead of L-pullups because L-pullups need a decent L and I don't know if you have one.

If you were going to do the same 2 exercises every day, I would do the pullups and dips first and use the body rows and pseudo planche pushups as auxiliary exercises. Or do pullups and dips on 2 days (M/F) and body rows and PPPU's on W if it's too much.

Pick a couple abdominal exercises. Once you get some rings made, you can work "baby" skin the cats but starting in an inverted hang and lowering forward and backward as much as you can. It'll take some time to figure the limits of your ROM.

You could pick do leg lifts while laying down or V-ups or Situps. Similar rep scheme. However, if you wanted to use a volume approach, you could try something like GVT which is 10 sets@60% max of 1rm.

As for lower body, I would program rocking SLS (where you sit and roll backward and then use that momentum to SLS). Try for 5 alternating reps on each leg. Instead of 3 sets I would aim towards more volume if you can, 5-7 sets due to the fact that well it's BW. Or you do Coach Sommer's "Killers" which are a weighted jumping lunge that switches legs in the air. Quite honestly, if you access to a barbell, you should probably stick to that be it just squats and deadlifts or the olympic lifts. I think they are much better than SLS and BW plyos.

If you can do all the pre-FSP stuff, assign yourself a SteadyStateCycle. Do sets of each position @50% of 1rm max with a total volume of 60s. It's ok to start out with just 30s for a few weeks and add a set or two till you get to 60s of volume. Generally it's recommended you only use a position that you can hold for 15-20s so your work sets should be no less than 7s-10s. Otherwise, it will just damn forever to finish. Trust me, 12 sets suck ass.

Conversely, you could set up your WallHS, ab work, and lower body BW work as a circuit if you want something a bit more metabolic.

Now I think you understand why we say just do the GB WOD.

Maybe, but it would need a lot more others to chime in before doing so, IMO. And I would probably clean it up.

Pkhamidar2com

thank you very much blairbob, for this message. I could not thank you enough!

yes i do care about mastering the FSP very much. :)

I can do the Lsit for about 15 seconds hold sometimes, and other times 10 seconds, i cant push up much into a mana though, too hard for me, not strong enough.

Ok yeah i i will try splitting it up into sets.

Yes im already doing handstands against a wall holds, at the moment i can do about 15 seconds or so, my shoulders are not very strong.

What does WU stand for? Its not in the WOD Acronym thread.

Yes when i do weight training i have often done circuits of bodyweight exercises in the sets of 3x5. So things like pistols followed by dips, followed by chinups, followed by pushups, followed by inverted rows, followed by hanging leg raises, followed by GHR, most in 5 - 7 rep range 3 circuits.

I would do the pullups and dips first and use the body rows and pseudo planche pushups as auxiliary exercises.

Could i quickly ask, the bodyweight rows, do you mean front lever rows or inverted rows? So would you say i would superset the pullups and dips, then super set the planche pushups and rows? yes?

And yes i can already skin the cat, i tense my lats to reduce chances of injuries, i know my ROM for Skin the cat :)

Is it ok to do the SLS without rolling back, because it makes it harder to do them without rolling back doesnt it? Harder = good right? I can do 3x5, i dont mind doing the rolling back thing though :P

Its all very well and done. But i still dont get how the steadystatecycle works. Do i just pick a number of set, rep, and a weight. for example 3x5 psudo planche pushup with 5kg on my back and just do that every day for i dunno 2 weeks with no increase in resistance?

Pkhamidar2com

ok so i read that article you sent me, its really long but i think i got most of it

So i can do this workout 3 times a week. M/W/F

skill work:

30s of Handstand against a wall

30s of L-sit > working to a manna

pushing:

30s of planche/Instead do psudo planche pushups 3x5?

dips

Pistol squats

pulling:

30 of back lever

30s of front lever

Pullups

GHR

So you can see i put them into pairs, pairs = supersetting these. I will split it up where there are gaps.

all 3x5 with 3 minutes of rest inbetween sets?

Oh and i dont have money to spend on gymnastic rings at the moment, im saving up for a punch bag instead to practice marital arts. Most of my time goes towards praciticing martial arts which is why i prefer to keep the gymnastic workouts short, supersetted and efficient so i get more time to practice.

If you wish to gain alot of strenght dont forget what you eat! I went Paleo and that helped me alot! And also get alot of sleep. I try to get 8 hours of sleep a night.

Pkhamidar2com

yeah i eat alot, ive read that "cold hard slap in the newbie face" by rippetoe :) I also eat alot of protien and everything :) My diet is fine, well it isnt now, now that its beena whole month of ramadan, mother wont sotp cooking fried food which i hate uhg...

But when its done, im back on my good old diet, i miss it so much. :P

Spend some money on making a set of rings. Should be somewhere between 10-20 dollars and worth it.

30s of WallHS is not nearly enough imo unless you are possibly 3-4yo.

I don't see the point of trying to press to manna from L. Lock down your L-sit first. Work the reverse/inverse plank for 60s (possibly more than once). Perhaps start the first progression of the MiddleSplitHold for Manna. Check the GymnasticBodies youtube for the video and article.

30s of planche and 3x5 pseudo planche pushups. Honestly, do both. You should be able to bang out 3 holds of 10s in the planche lean then hit the 3x5. Do 1 hold before each set of 5 pppu's.

I would work the front lever but I don't think you should work the back lever until have a STRONG dip and a good RTO support. I guess you can sort of work a support hold with your hands turned out.

Blairbob,

To make sure I understand correctly, is the basic pre-FSP warm up supposed to be hit as one giant super set, and the rest you were referring to minimizing is in between super sets? A truly fit and conditioned gymnast should be able to run through that entire series 3 times straight with no rest, correct?

ok so i read that article you sent me, its really long but i think i got most of it

Can I also get a link to this article? I am trying to get myself a properly structured program and want to learn more about all this stuff.

Pkhamidar2com
Spend some money on making a set of rings. Should be somewhere between 10-20 dollars and worth it.

30s of WallHS is not nearly enough imo unless you are possibly 3-4yo.

I don't see the point of trying to press to manna from L. Lock down your L-sit first. Work the reverse/inverse plank for 60s (possibly more than once). Perhaps start the first progression of the MiddleSplitHold for Manna. Check the GymnasticBodies youtube for the video and article.

30s of planche and 3x5 pseudo planche pushups. Honestly, do both. You should be able to bang out 3 holds of 10s in the planche lean then hit the 3x5. Do 1 hold before each set of 5 pppu's.

I would work the front lever but I don't think you should work the back lever until have a STRONG dip and a good RTO support. I guess you can sort of work a support hold with your hands turned out.

Ill see what i can do about the rings but at this very moment i dont have money to spend on them im afraid.

So how long should i do the wall HS.

Man this is so confusing, i think ill just stick the WOD's and modify them.

Im really sorry blairbob, i know you worked really hard but creating a gymnastics workout routine is far harder than creating a weightlifting workout routine. I can create so many different types of weightlifting workout routines on the other forum im a part of and i thought gymnastics would be similar but its confusing :P

i hope you dont mind, but i still have questions

what is WU?

I can already hold a support hold hands turned out.

So wait a 3 - 4 year old kid does 30 second handstands? Im 16, how long should i do my handstand against the wall for? 1 minute? 10 minutes?

No, most 3-4yo are capable of a 30s wall HS; however there is the possibility a few can at an angle of 45-60 degrees off horizontal. I was merely meaning that a 3-4yo may be doing 30s of HS volume in one of their workout sessions. Possibly a bit more, but I would doubt any more than that. Think 3-4 sets of 10s holds.

For now shoot for being able to hold 3 sets of 1m Wall HS as a beginner's milestone.

WU=warmup

There really isn't any defined parameters for pre FSP's. I do them as a giant set because I can hit any of them for 60s. If you can't, you're gonna have to break it up.

Pkhamidar2com

BTW w hen im doing the heandstand against the wall, should my face be right up to the wall. Wheni do it i try to go as close as possible but im usually still about half a foot (around 6 inches) away from the wall.

Adam Bodestyne
BTW w hen im doing the heandstand against the wall, should my face be right up to the wall. Wheni do it i try to go as close as possible but im usually still about half a foot (around 6 inches) away from the wall.

You do want to get as close as possible, but you may need to work up to it over time. Eventually you will want to have your wrists maybe just a couple of inches away from the wall. The limiting factor (if it isn't a lack of shoulder strength when pressing above your head) may be shoulder flexibility. I believe German Hangs will help with this. See also Wall extensions.

Pkhamidar2com

You do want to get as close as possible, but you may need to work up to it over time. Eventually you will want to have your wrists maybe just a couple of inches away from the wall. The limiting factor (if it isn't a lack of shoulder strength when pressing above your head) may be shoulder flexibility. I believe German Hangs will help with this. See also Wall extensions.

When doing german hangs, should my lats be tensed to keep shoulders from extending? I usually tense my whole upper and lower back and pull in the back lever with my back. Should i let go of all of this in the german hang?

Aaron Griffin

Yeesh, Blairbob, that's a great summary. Question though - how long should the prereqs be kept in the warmup? In the past I had heard that once you can do 3x60s, you can move on to only doing 1x60s as part of the warmup. Do you prescribe to this as well?

Hard to say. Building up to the ability to do 3x60s makes a lot of sense for beginners and just once you can do them, hit them for 1x60s so long as you are doing harder progressions or the GB WOD that day.

If a beginner should do 3x60s pre-FSP, can we still try to do the FSP positions after? Like 3x15s L-Sit, Frog Stand, Front Lever for example?

Also, how should we do the 3x60s pre-FSP? I was thinking you do something like 1 set of each exercise and then repeat that procedure twice more OR do 3 sets of one exercise before moving into the next?