Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

winged scapula/kyphosis problems

zewhiterabbit

zewhiterabbit

Hi everyone, although this is my first post I've been a long time reader of these boards. I picked up BTGB about a year ago and have loved doing it ever since. However, recently I have stopped my normal workout (killroy-like template) in order to fix my winged scapula and kyphosis. I have done a LOT of research into it and am doing some rehab stuff to sort it out (DC shoulder rehab, IDOs stuff etc). One of the exercises that seems to help people a lot are wall extensions, however I have a problem with them. I definitely cant keep my arms to the wall throughout the whole motion, which as I understand is fine. But, on the way down, my left scapula seems to catch on something and pop. I think it's strange, because my right scapula is way more winged than the left one. The pop is pretty uncomfortable but not extremely painful, and seems to not be as bad if I do the motion very slow. Should I continue doing wall extensions, and is there something I can do to help this?

I'd love to get back to my BTGB gymnastic work :D

Thank you!

Obviously I am not a medical professional, but i would say stay away from that (or do it in a way where it doesn't pop) until you figure out exactly what it is. Slizzard man posted a video of shoulder rehab on his youtube account, and it drastically helped me. But to be safe, ntil you get a professional opinion, stay away becasue you don't want to hurt yourself more.

I had a winged scapula too a few years back that made me stop training. The doctor said I needed to strengthen the serratus anterior muscle which is what pulls the scapula down and in. Look up ido portal's scapula and shoulder rom videos (listed below). They helped me a lot with this and in strengthening the area around my shoulder blades and now, as long as I keep strict form during exercise, I don't have any problems.

Ido Portal's Scapula Mobilization

Ido Portal's Shoulder ROM/Stabilization

Slizzardman's Fix Your Shoulder Pain Part 1

Also if I ever feel any discomfort i get out a lacrosse ball and do some soft tissue work on my upper body followed by a fairly long session of Slizzardman's shoulder rehab video (listed above) and I feel pretty good after that. Downward dog stretch with a concentration on lengthening the spine and opening the shoulders as well as wall extensions work really well too.

zewhiterabbit

Element did you end up correcting your problem through these exercises? If so was there a certain order/schedule you did them in? I tried out Slizzardman's stretches and so far I feel more of a stretch in the lats then in the pec minor area. Not sure if I'm doing them wrong or not. Also, I still haven't been doing wall extensions because of my original problem of my left scapula popping in the downward motion.

I really focused on scapula retraction during all exercises (unless protraction was required), and just tried walking everyday with my shoulder retracted and not allowing them to roll forward (slizzardman talks about this a lot in his video). It takes awhile but focusing on it and doing a set of exercises/stretches for it everyday helps. For Slizzardman's stretches I found a similar problem where it didn't really seem like I was getting the right stretch, but then I did some soft tissue work and now I can really feel the stretch. I highly recommend getting a tennis/lacrosse ball and doing some yourself. This loosens up the trigger points which have definitely developed from your scapula problems and allows you to get in the tissue and loosen it out, plus it's only a small fraction of the cost of getting chiropractor/trigger point massages and only takes a few minutes to learn how to do.

I like these ones: http://laurensfitness.com/2008/02/29/te ... pper-body/

When I went back to the chiropractor, I had no signs of a winged scapula BUT I now had scoliosis "S" shaped. I did this to myself although I partially blame the chiropractor because I was only 15 at the time and didn't know any better. Apparently I was putting so much effort in pulling the scapula down, that I actually bent my spine towards that side too. So make sure Whatever you do, do it evenly on both sides.

• Upvote 1

zewhiterabbit

Well, I've been following element's advice and have been stretching/rehabing every day. Yet still, when trying to do wall extensions (or even wall extensions on the floor) my left scapula seems to be catching something on the way down and clicking/popping. Does anyone have any insight on why this may be happening? Slizzardman perhaps?

Thank you all so much for your help

Slizzardman probably has some better advice, but I'd recommend not doing those and just working on the other stuff like ido's band exercises for awhile and then try the wall extensions in a few months and see how it goes