Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Swings Technique Improvment And Ring Training Progress

igalk474

Flexibility is harder to improve specially on shoulders.

I don't know about the technique so I'll not comment that part but... when will you learn to keep body tight, legs completely together and completely POINTED feet? That will help you a lot.

AS technique I don't teach this back swing technique. but that is your decision.

First thing is as Banzas said

when will you learn to keep body tight, legs completely together and completely POINTED feet? That will help you a lot.

Second thing don't push chest out at front swing, make hollow body position with abs and ass thight and pelvis rotated (like doing corect plank).

Third try to touch (not phisicly, but visualisated) the rings cables with fingers at front swing.

Forth at the bottom turn rigs to under grip and push them down troguh front swing (also for the drop to the hang position). Also lightly apart (wider).

First thing correct front swing then you'll go to the back swing (you obviously don't have any profesional to help you, so this would be first task for you).

For back swing (I said I don't teach shoulder rotation).

Thanks

i can swing with feet together and pointed

i wasn't focusing on that , but more on the

progression, and the back swing with shoulder rotation

to improve flexibility, i didn't try to do a swing, i tried the progression

look at other videos where i do swings, the legs are better

it just i wasn't used to the range of the shoulder rotation on the back swing

my front swing is usually better than my back swing,

but i'll try it

my main issue is the back swing

why don't you teach that technique?

can you elaborate about what you do teach for the back swing?

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

did a double salto bwd (tucked) from rings dismount:

U6Nzg_OWtsk

going to improve it later, need to do an higher dismount, and do the first salto above the rings

and have more momentum before dismount

also fix the bent legs just before the dismount

also my swings improved a little,

i feel i'm getting close getting my legs above rings height

here is an anlysis of my dismount from the post before:

xhSYsu6_QQ4

appearently, yuri van gelder, starts the dismount later then i do,

he waits till he is almost finished the whole 360 degrees , a little before

i leave the hands at a little after i finish 270 degrees, if it was a circle

• 3 weeks later...

new training videos,

while on vacation

training on coral beach sunset:

Pe5L3n_8Emg

also tried some flying trapeze:

EuxE7iK0hN4

also,

feeling some improvment in shoulder flexibility

Ring swing is still too horizontal for now. It needs to turn more upside down/vertical.

For saltos, you don't really let go until you are upside down on the rings. Think inlocate/dislocate above rings, let go and tuck/pike/layed out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
David  Hurwitz

I just came across the level 6/7 rings routine that Ryan posted.

This is very interesting and I'm glad I came across it! I'm most surprised that level 6/7 athletes are able perform a straddle planche on rings. I attend an adults class and I see the kids at that level workout all the time. None of them are even close to that kind of strength. Is it just expected that young athletes who grew up in gymnastics have such a wide straddle that it would essentially require the amount of lean that my flat tuck planche does? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

• 2 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

Your XR handstand needs a lot of work, my friend. I really think you need to be spending a lot of time with feet on the straps and a much straighter body. Over time you can reduce foot pressure to make the XR HS more like doing it without straps and eventually you'll be able to hold good form without the straps.

What you are doing right now is literally moving you backwards in terms of progress, in my opinion, because you are teaching your body to automatically go to a strong arch instead of a much straighter position. This is training the chest at the expense of the traps.

thanks!

i'll work more with the straps,

also now i started to do couple of months of general all body conditioning, especially for abs and back,

since i usually use my upper body to lift me , and not the whole body,

so i need stronger back and abs, working on it

especially fixing this arch on the back, whether it's an handstand, p-bar swings...

• 4 weeks later...

You're still "muscling" a lot of your swing movements but you are definitely improving.

Try keeping your head in during both sides of your ring swings. No more head out. It's causing your swing to be too horizontal in both directions.

Body composition and muscle is definitely improving. You are still small but that works for you at 110 pounds.

thanks!

i'll keep wokring on the swings more

also i started at the end of each week, to work on conditioning and endurace,

most week i work on maximal strength and hyperthrophy, very intense,

and on the end of the week i do conditioning with light weight -high reps for

push up , pull ups, sit ups,back extension,squats... Circuits and HIIT(tabata)

so i think it's helping, also i do 1-2 days of rest between training sessions for recovery

• 2 weeks later...

i found out couple of tips that helped me improve my swings:

on the back swing head should be neutral or looking up,not tucked in because you will do an inlocate

when hanging or swinging, it's important to be really really stretched , all the way,

push and put pressure on the rings,and contract your abs so that the energy of the swing will not be diffused and absorbed on the part where the muscles were not contracted usually where the abs are, be solid like a stick and not like rubber,

and not break the chain of movement & weight/energy transfer,

so that the energy of the swing will go through out the entire body,

from hands to feet and from feet to hands,you will feel the weight goes up and down through out your body, and the swing getting stronger and stronger

it's also importand to use the shoulder girdle part, when you are hanging/swinging stretched, the movment should come from there, make sure the swing angle and kicks are sharp enough and timed right, you shouldn't try to swing in a circle, you should swing in an ellipse so make sure the angle is sharper , and don't forget to time right the latheral arm movment and make sure it comes from the shoulder girdle part

,on the back swing make sure arms are not too close and there is sufficient latheral movment of the arms, for you to continue go upward, so it wont stop your momentum

when you swing like that, your dismount will be better, you will definately feel an higher air time till you land

• 2 weeks later...

you still need to work on keeping your head in on your front swing and not throwing it back.

still muscling back uprises too much, let it swing more then push down while kicking.

hold the L's.

impressed with the strength work though.

i'll try to work on it

keeping the head in on the front swing

and correct timing of the uprise to l sit from swing

also noticed that on the jonasson the arms got too close to the body when i did the spin

and should be done higher

and the inlocate should be done with the body straight without pike

on the swing i might need to incorporate more of the latheral arm movment and sharper angle on the back swing

Joshua Slocum

I would recommend that you stop working the Jonasson until you've built up a much better swing. The skill is supposed to be a double salto piked into a swing. What you appear to be doing in the video is inlocating to an inverted hang, then kipping to support, and rolling forward [in rapid succession]. If you keep working the skill as you are, you're going to build up bad habits. Just as in developing strength, with swinging skills you need to patiently follow progressions and not jump ahead. If you work skills too much above your level, you'll be unable to perform then effectively and thus hit a plateau. Before beginning Jonasson work in earnest, you need to master your back swing, learn a Honma, learn to do a front bail, learn a double front tuck dismount, and learn to do a good yamawaki. This video shows a good example of a Jonasson: http://youtu.be/DjciBnJOBdI Note how after completing the first salto, the gymnast is well above the rings, allowing him to easily complete a second salto before his weight is placed on the rings again.

Joshua Slocum

thanks, you are right,

it's a bad habit,

i'll focus more on the swings,

it's just fun do to it

thanks, i'll try it :)

Just remember: patience and persistence. Consistently put in good, hard work and you'll get there eventually. :)