Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Swings Technique Improvment And Ring Training Progress

igalk474

you shouldn't arch it too much, altough it usually isn't completly straight also,

you arch enough to get balance while incorperating the upper chest into it and pointing the feet upward, so that the angle of the whole body will be in line with the straps

like this:

2008_gym_rings_m.jpeg

Chen_Yibing_ri_porto10.jpg

644-15.jpg

Van_Gelder.jpg

planche is a little easier the inverted cross, also because it's harder to balance in it, i think they are both c

but maltese is harder, which is d, also azarian is d too, then there is victorian which is harder

they all work on different muscle, though, all the muscle in the body are contracted while doing it,

and all of the crosses work the arms and shoulders,

in addition

inverted works on the neck and upper chest , maltese works on the chest, victorian works on the back

Thanks for the tips and pictures. Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a completely straight body in an inverted cross and I'm not sure if it's possible. I heard that inverted cross was once a D, but then it got downgraded to a C. I heard from some people that they should both be valued at a D.

What's the difference between azarian and iron cross? I tried to look at azarian on youtube and it looked like an iron cross to me.

I think inverted cross with head below the rings should be given a "D" level difficulty.

it's ok,

i think that inverted cross is harder then planche and maltese is harder then inverted cross,

none of them is at the same level, though, maybe for different body type, one thing maybe easier then the other

maybe they should do more letters for the codes

inverted cross should be with the head down, if the angle of the arms is not straight there are deductions

azarian can prepare you for maltese, it's a little similar,

because while you get into back lever, you press up, and get into iron cross position,

this press is not easy

like this, but to iron cross , not maltese

F8rjRRswgfM

or like this:

http://youtu.be/nxuw-ZPt1cM?t=1m8s

yeah,

you should hear the start of the second video,

it's brandon wynn, from usa

when i first posted those videos here, i was on mute so i didn't heard those videos, till now

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Hutchins

I've been reading the thread and i've watched your videos. What i like most about your responses and posts is your attitude. You know you are lacking in certain areas yet you have the "I'm going to get it" attitude that not everyone has. Actually that very very few people posess. That being said, I have to be quite honest about your progress and ability. The routine that you performed would have scored in the lower single digits at best. I am a JO gymnastic judge for my state and can tell you that quite a bit of those skills were non recognition. Meaning that they would receive no credit. The holds... if you could even call them holds... were much less than two seconds and would get .5 off and non recognition. Beyond the technical aspects your foundation is seemingly non existant. The FIG code of points states that no gymnast should be doing skills that he has not yet mastered. Honestly it was hard to identify any one skill that you did other than knowing what it was supposed to be from the list of skills you assembled. So now that i have criticised you i do have some hopefully helpful advise. It will require lowering any ego you have down to zero and putting in some serious retrocative work. I would advise you going thru the junior olympic routines. you can find them on youtube if you don't have immediate access to them. just search "cumpulsory level ____" 4-7. and you will get the routine. That or i can send you them or link you to them. Either way it would be good to learn them in order and perform them. These will Start to get you the building blocks you need. That or you can seek personal instruction. But i believe the former is easier and more cost efficient :D Again you will have to humble yourself but at least we can help you and you will be limiting yourself to Basic elements ,staples, and shapes that every good gymnast Must have. Let me know what you think.

thanks about what you said on the attitude,

thanks about the honesty

about the video you watched with the routine, i wrote that this is a video of the first time i tried the routine,

and it is a very old video, also i'm not working on this routine anymore i switched to an harder one that will take me some more time but will be a lot better and more challenging

i actually on most of the workout work on the foundation and basics especially swings,

i know about this rule in fig CoP, that you need to perform only skills that you have mastered and can perform safely

i think you watch some very old videos of mine, and misinterpreted stuff that i said,

i'm actually trying to be very very humble

i'll search those videos, thanks

send me those links too, it will be great

i actually have some of the best personal instructions in my country,

i know all the coaches, and most of the professional gymnasts in my country,

i know most of their methods

so i think it will be best to mix both, watching the video, and personal instruction,

i usually love to train myself, and only after a month of progress i ask for tips, and continue to work on it and improve it

i think that it's cool that you are a gymnastics judge , and can see which skill is ready and what point will it get

i'll try to be really humble, and keep working on the basics

i want to really thank you for taking your time, and writing your honest opinion

i really appreciate it

here is a more recent video of me (better to watch on youtube in full screen hd):

KQyV6itfqv8

also i have more on my signature

tell me what you think about those skills in relation to the skills you watched on my old routine video

also , i started training only an year ago, so i have done all these in little less than an year

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Hutchins

wow... after watching that video there is one thing i am certain of. And that is that you are Definitely going to get it. You have a ways to go but i can see from how you train that you are Serious about these rings.

The higher level skill you are best at i would say is your straddle planche. you are very close to controlling that move. Your approach to your training however seems very much rushed.

You must learn this to learn that a wise man once said. So the only strength holds i saw that you truly had mastered from the video are these: front lever, back lever, and l sit. Everything else was either too short or improperly developed. I would advise you to focus on a few moves at a time. I'm sure you have enough trainers telling you that tho. Either way here you go Iron Cross, L Iron Cross, Inverted Cross, Maltese. Your Cross is way too high. You aren't even close to getting credit for that. those last few degrees on the cross are a Killer. I would know. I used to train it and recently picked it back up till coach told me not to :evil:

Here is the level 6/7 routine. it will change a bit soon but it will serve a purpose here. I also adjusted it a bit for your strength levels.

Muscle up>Slow lower thru Iron Cross to hang>Straight Arm straight body lift to inverted hang> Inverted pike> cast forward to swing back>swing forward> back up rise L> press Straddle Planche> L hold> press HS> Lower slowly thru L to inverted pike> cast forward to swing back> front swing> inlocate>inlocate>dislocate>dislocate> layout dismount.

This routine while simple is going to help you immensely in my opinion.

If you want... perfect this, tape it, and put it up on youtube. all the holds are 2 long seconds. The straddle planche must show a stop, must go directly to the position, and can not be lowered into. the entire routine is done with straight body, arms straight, legs straight, and toes pointed. The Press HS is done without having forearms on the straps(as much as possible)

back uprise, inlocate, and dislocate are FUNDAMENTAL to developing ring swing. There is no way around learning and mastering these swinging skills.

Let me know if you're up for the challenge. You're very strong. Don't forget to acquire that very important ability called control. :lol:

thanks!

i'm definitely going to try that routine,

give me a month or two

currently working mainly on swings, back/fron uprise, inlocate/dislocate, fwd/bwd kip, icon cross, planche, handstand

and shoulder flexibility

i'll definitely include that routine in,

the main stuff i need to work on before that is the back uprise, which needs to be better to get into L sit,

and dislocate to dislocate, which i need to learn to continue after doing one, i usually leave it before getting the impact at the bottom, as i want to do the dislocate with shoulders a little above the rings first and then work on continuing after the dislocate

i will definitely train on controlling and mastering the skills, but i also think it will come with the time, after doing it for some time you will start to master it more and more

i also think i have another problem,

my right arm is a lot stronger then my left arm,

so when i swing, it sometimes swings diagonal,

i probably need to work on my left arm so that they will be almost equal strength

so i keep working on the fundamentals with emphasis on mastery and control

thanks! , really appreciate it

Ryan Hutchins

I look forward to seeing your progress. All those things you want to work on are in that sample routine. So good luck! :twisted:

also to detrain your arm dominance try to train in front of a mirror so you can eye spot yourself. Don't let yourself do anything that your other arm isn't going to be able to keep up with. Also stay tight. Its much easier to move a rigid body around on the rings as opposed to a loose one. Squeeze your butt, core, and even quads while up there. It will make a dramatic difference. The rings are already hard enough. Keep up the good work!!

You should watch this video here, it will help you a lot!

There are also some other quite interesting videos on this channel.

Z4JegPH5FD8

• 1 month later...

ok, i have made some great progress during this month! ,

i now can do a straight 90 degrees iron cross and hold for more than 4 seconds

also i can now land the dislocate and continue after it, without releasing too soon

also backuprise to l sit got better

i think in a month i can start to train on that routine that ryanc talked about

shoulder flexibility got a lot better and easier, still need to improve the technic

about swings and dislocate, started learning and simulating double pendulum physics,

to research what i need to do optimally in each part of the swing

also a great book is , the science of gymnastics

really gets in depth on the topic

also trained on some hyperthropy , and got bigger muscles

here is a video of my progress:

:)

NRX1yhpNjzA

this is what i tried to do:

Rings:

butterfly pull to cross (like balandin)

dislocate

back uprise to maltese

bwd salto tucked dismount

butterfly pulls training with latex bands

inlocate to back lever to kip to back lever to kip back uprise to cross

kip to support,swing fwd and fall to back uprise to honma to support , press to handstand

dislocate

swings

salto bwd with twist dismount

van gelder push ups

trampoline:

double salto bwd tucked

salto bwd stretched with 1.5 twists

floor:

salto fwd tucked to fwd roll to 3 flairs

salto fwd to cartwheel to butterfly

salto bwd tucked

salto bwd tucked with no hands

pommel horse:

circles

flairs

russians

tell me what you think...

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

this is what i'm currently training on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... mQzVFRhTmc

this is how i track my progress(the cells in yellow are what i''m currently training on)

working on a lot of swings, dislocate(piked, stretched), iron cross, dismount heigth

also i noticed that after a dislocate, i should kick in the bottom of the swing too, and not just use the hands

i think that soon

i will be able to do 2 dislocates in a row

and then i will be able to do RyanC routine

here is a new video of me training on dislocate, with a comparision

nFiLg3dR6Co

what am i doing wrong?

what should i do to do it better and not disconnect from the rings when i reach the bottom?

thanks!

Joshua Naterman

Your body isn't getting anywhere near high enough, that much is obvious and probably explains why you are letting go of the rings (protecting the shoulders from being ripped out of the sockets, which is a good thing to protect them from). Look at your movement. I think you are either not strong enough or you just don't know how to do the element.

Someone with more experience in this area will have to make a real judgement here, all I can say for sure is that you are definitely not getting high enough. Your body clearly needs to be level with the rings when you press the arms forward and swing down. That is not happening.

WIth that kind of training you will injur yourself and not talking just swing parts, strength too.

Go to basics and learn how to swing on rings! You can't do inlocates or dislocates if even minimum swing technique is established.

thanks!

most of the training i train , swings & dislocates, and some little kips & dismounts

also shoulder flexibility

mostly swings , 80% of the training time, 15% dislocates , 5% all the rest

i wanted to train on dislocate to make my swings better and get used to more height of fall

many times i train on harder skill to get the more easier skill,

to get the iron cross , i trained on balandin (pull to support) with bands for a month, then i got the cross,

and to get the planche better i trained on maltese with a spot for a month...

i should probably kick to an higher angle, stronger.

and keep my body hollow after the kip bwd when i press with the hands

i'm still leaning to to the swings and dislocates , they are no way near perfect

i'm still training on it

what do you suggest to do to improve the swings?

here are some swings i did earlier:

T76Pu24Nhjc

thanks!

You should stop all dislocates and inlocates and advance strength elements (azarians I saw...). You'll tear your shoulders.

You should get proper training this is just injury calling.

You've got decent video from a forum member of rings swings (although I don't completly agree, but most coaches have diffrent opinions on some things). And go step by the step.

here is a new video of me practicing swings

IDvfOP-1BrQ

also , trying this progression:

5:26-5:40

what should i do to improve it?

thanks!

here are the swings progression with a comparision

Zq4Kczx-BzY

[better to watch on youtube at 1080p , full screen, and at x0.2 speed]

i still think i have a big problem with shoulder flexibility,

it improved over those few months, but still i've got a long way till it get to where i want it,

flexibility takes more time to get then strength for me, at least twice

but i still work on it almost every day, with the stick

like this:

KoGtrEcsqPQ

what am i doing wrong in the swings?

what should i do to improve my swings?

thanks!