Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Everyone's current planche/ lever progressions

gymrob

Are you kidding me dude? Saying that by just doing planche push ups you will never be able to hold one is like saying that doing regular push ups will not enable you to hold a regular push up position. I would bet anything that guy would not take long at all in achieving a planche hold if he tried (if he can't already). His form may be a little sloppy, but there are many variables you can't account for (him being sore, not really trying, was already tired from doing some earlier, etc).

Please do not confuse me with saying that this exercise is better than Coach Sommers' exercises. I am saying it is another way of training. I like to alternate the frog stand stuff on some days and pseudo training on the other.

Anyways, I am not trying to argue with anyone here. I love the wealth of info from everyone. Just trying to give the thread owner some ideas for other training. Just another road towards the same destination...

Nic Scheelings

That's hardly the same thing, anyone can hold a pushup position even those who can't do a pushup, but u see people do these so called planche pushups who can't hold a planche! Does that make sense? Of course not! These aren't correct planche pushups, there needs to be a static hold at the start and end of the pushup.

I'm not saying u shouldn't do psuedos, but i do agree with the others that they will help minimally with a true planche.

Here's a vid of a correct straddle planche pushup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu5ikO0UFjE

this guy in one of his replys to this video said that he could hold an advanced tuck planche on his first try which is totally out of the norm. the jump from wall planche pushups to straddle planche pushups is pretty extreme and would be very difficult to do without static holds in my opinion. stick to coachs progressions

pseudos are a good, almost necessary assistance exercise. remember coach S still implements pseudos with the static isometric training.

I have certainly used PPP on occasion, however I generally prefer to progress onward to harder variations rather after a basic proficiency at PPP on the fx has been achieved. Currently my preference at this time is to train a combination of planche static holds and hand-spotted planche pushups. I have also had reasonable success in the past focusing on planche static holds and Bower progressions with more advanced athletes.

temet nosce is correct, there are certainly many ways to achieve the same goal. The key is to be opened minded without being no-minded. By that I mean be diligent in making sure that you have worked hard at a particular method for an appropriate length of time; do not simply change in midstream because you have just read the latest new fangled idea. That being said however, it is also appropriate to explore new avenues if a particular approach has failed to yield the results you were seeking after a reasonable period of time and effort.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nobody said it's only one way to achive planche. I just said that with push ups you'll not achive hold position of planche.

We instead trained in diffrent ways and never through frogs and so on...

Our variations were almost all with spotting on p.bars or flor: from L seat to planche, from planche to handstand and from handstand to planche.

On p.bars: from stradle L seat (or v seat)push to the stradle planche and down and seat on the p.bars forward from your hands (and you are moving along the p.bars)....

David Picó García

Well, he can hold a planche:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ6D2GTdNso

But i think it's not the same:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=4zR8BNo6dII

And his planche pushups are not the same as Jovtchev who made them in a hollow position:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvOLHC-1sk

Anyway any of them for me are superhuman with superstrength independently of the way they achived that (years of gymnastics, genetics, been born in Krypton :roll: )

I'll be satisfied with a 'simple' straddle as Demus posted

:P

Guest Ido Portal

I have to agree here with Gregor and Demus. The shown planche push ups training is not optimal training for achieving a planche.

A true planche push up with control in every position of the lift and a full stop at the lockout is another thing, but in order to get it you already have to have a static planche position...

The problem lies in the fact that the guys doing those dynamic planche push ups (and there are many) are passing through the lockout position using momentum to get there and no ability to hold it. The effect on the joint angle and shoulder work is minimal and doesnt produce the results you need for a static planche.

Now if you dont believe the science, look at the reality:

many, many dynamic planche push ups videos on youtube vs very few static straddle/full planche videos.

If that is not enough also, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating', as they say. Try concentrating on the PPU as your sole planche training method and see where it gets you.

The problem lies in the fact that the guys doing those dynamic planche push ups (and there are many) are passing through the lockout position using momentum to get there and no ability to hold it. The effect on the joint angle and shoulder work is minimal and doesnt produce the results you need for a static planche.

here is a good example of what ido is talking about. judging by these pushups i doubt this guy can hold a static planche

After an innumerable amount of setbacks over the last 4 years of training for the planche, I decided to move to the absolute basics and build a foundation of steel.

For 2 weeks I was doing my interpretation of wrist pushups and the other wrist exercises outlined in the form of text. My wrists were feeling a little better. It's now a little over one week that I've been doing these based on the video and the almost instantaneous improvement (compared to the amount of time I have tried to accomplish a planche) makes me wet my pants. If I were to convey my excitement through these forums the server would crash... JOKE! It's like the first time you shave and you can't help but smile and when you pass a mirror.

Okay so after one week I can now hold a straddle planche... on my fingertips! The wrist discomfort is close to non-existent! A full planche is right around the corner but it will be a while until I'm happy with it.

Thank you thank you thank you Coach!

I think you guys are showing great examples of improper and proper forms of the planche. I have to agree with many of you who say the persons who are sloppily performing the planche doubtfully can hold a perfect form. I believe I used a wrong example for proof that PPP can result in good planche form. But keep in mind that it is very probable that there are people out there who used PPP and can hold planches very well. Coach couldn't have said it more perfectly.. FORM Always follows Function. Therefore, if one were to use PPP with good function then a good form would result. What I consider a good workout with PPP would be lifting up to a planche from laying on the belly and holding the planche for a few seconds and then descend to the floor again. Basically a full ROM. I want the ability to press up into a planche from the floor with great form and the look of ease.