Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does Handstand Pushups hit the Medial Deltoid?

chingyvang

I'm finally strong enough to do 3 sets of 6-8 handstand pushups now but I only feel sore in my anterior delts. So I was wondering if they even hit the medial delts at all? During my handstand pushups, my elbows flare out more to the side instead of closer to my ribcage.

Yes, if you're doing them stomach to wall. To me, it seems like you are worrying too much about your size and look, my friend. Worry about you performance, and the rest will come.

Sorry if this was rude but I generaly hate the attitude "I have small muscles here and here, so I have to do more of this and this"

And the whole thing about working out just to get bigger, if anybody wants that, bodybuilding hyperthrophy routines with weights are more useful than this.

^ thanks buddy, though can you explain why it needs to be stomache to wall to hit the medial? Because I'm doing back to wall for safety reasons. And no I'm not offended by your response. I'm a small guy so I'd love some size along with the strength and flexibility of training like a gymnast. I will definitely Not go back to the bodybuilding forums where all advice is to either have a full stomach before bed, or be sure to have a protein shake before I brush my teeth in the morning

Joshua Naterman
^ thanks buddy, though can you explain why it needs to be stomache to wall to hit the medial? Because I'm doing back to wall for safety reasons. And no I'm not offended by your response. I'm a small guy so I'd love some size along with the strength and flexibility of training like a gymnast. I will definitely Not go back to the bodybuilding forums where all advice is to either have a full stomach before bed, or be sure to have a protein shake before I brush my teeth in the morning

That's why you don't feel it. Back to wall forces an arched back and that is forcing the work onto anterior delts. I'm going to link my recent workout video, watch my shoulders during the HeSPU. You will SEE the medial delt fire specifically. It does not do that during back to wall because of the arched body position that is virtually required. It doesn't take much of an arch to do the job.

I don't feel anterior delts very much during my HeSPU work anymore because I have fixed my bodyline issues and I only do stomach to wall. I am also much, much stronger!

I do a lot of band work for medial delts too, and that is most certainly a part of my strength development. I recommend everyone to do the same.

Once again Slizz saves my day. Stomach to wall from now on lol. I'm so glad I'm a member of this forum, thanks each and everyone of ya. Now it's time to go fire up my delts

Joshua Naterman

XBDcWvIsiLI

Sorry, here's the video. Watch towards the end if you want to skip the other stuff, that's where the HeSPU is and you can watch the middle delt fire and relax. You'll see exactly what its ROM is. Middle delt is a different kind of muscle than the other heads, it produces much more force but has a shorter ROM.

Joshua Naterman

My shoulders are still not good enough for me to do a lot of what is prescribed, so I use different exercises but I am more or less following the same format as far as themed days go. I am not doing any explosive work for the upper body so dynamic days are just more strength but yes, I am following the WOD format and using exercises that don't bother me.

Eddie Stelling

Thanks for the response, I figured this was the case. I am banking all the tips I can get for my rehab! Surgery is tomorrow. :shock:

Bruno Cochofel
I do a lot of band work for medial delts too, and that is most certainly a part of my strength development. I recommend everyone to do the same.

Can you post a video with your band work? It would be much appreciated ;-)

Thx,

Bruno

Bruno Cochofel
Yes I will.

I've been trying to select resistance band and tubing but I'm not quite aware of what's the best for me.

I have a DeuserBand and a Reebok Resistance Tube Set and I only do Ido's routine for Shoulder, do I need maybe TheraBand bands or tubes? My Deuserband can help me with FL and BL but is very strong and no scalability, and my Reebok tube set no where near capable of hold me, so I was wondering buying some TheraBand material.

Maybe you can help me on this?

Thx,

Bruno

great video slizz,now I'll know how to do them. just watching you gave me some butterflies in my stomach because i'm very afraid to fall. Do you suggest I go all the way down til my head touches the floor like yours (Hespu)? because right now my head isn't even touching the floor

Joshua Naterman

Not if you don't have the strength! Do what the book suggests and stack books below your head. Every month lower the stack about an inch. Before you know it you'll have to start finding things to put under your hands to get MORE ROM!