Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WODs for Semi Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy Focus

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Okay. I want to spend the next 2-3 months concentrating on strength as usual, but with a lot more focus on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. I don't want to get huge or anything (not that I could in just 2-3 months), but I DO want to get thick and strong looking upper body. Not the lower body as such, I'm already doing a good Poliquin routine for my calves, front squats and deadlifts, and the lower body WODs. I've been looking at Poliquins stuff which is awesome, but nothing that I could find has been organized into a weekly system. Ideally, I'd love to modify the upper body WODs somewhat...

Another option is following CP's routine (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... al_weights), but it's more free weight focused instead of bodyweight or weighted bodyweight stuff. It's pretty complicated, too. I'm not sure I can calculate all that stuff.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? This isn't permanent... I just want to pack on some upper body muscle on before continuing on to a more strength routine.

Thanks!

Rafael David

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday = WODs

Saturday = CP training

Wednesday/Sunday = healing training

So, that's what I do. The "healing training" consists in do the daily routine for elbow/wrist/shoulder and a high parcial reps (50). I do 50 wide-grip pull ups, then do 50 HSPU, then do 50 tuck FL rows, then do 50 push ups, then do 50 biceps curls (each week a diferent like reverse curls, other week will be scott, etc I do the same in CP training ), then do dips, triceps pulley or triceps push ups (just to have some variety). All without rest or only some breaths, in the end you will note a BIG pump and de veins jumping! That´s all... :oops: :roll: :lol:

Quick Start Test Smith

Dude... :shock:

You're about five billion times stronger than me! :lol:

Quick Start Test Smith

Okay, I have a question about the WODs... again. A very sincere apologies for seeming finicky but I'm a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place to put in such terms...

First of all, I'd say my size/strength goals for my upper body are about 50/50 in order of importance. I want to increase my strength, but at the same time I want to really put on some size in the next few months. I'm not trying to pack on a lot of muscle on my lower body, though. Not that I would mind that much if I did, but it's not a goal.

Right now, my core strength is faar to low to do the WODs at almost any FSP kind of level besides hollow holds, arch ups, short german hangs, handstands, planks, reverse planks, etc. I just have to scale down so much that I'm almost not doing anything that much like the original WOD. Doesn't really seem all the focused any more.

So I thought I'd do some form of lifting program for about 12 weeks while doing an FSP SSC and a bunch of sprint/interval work and getting lean.

I've strongly considered Charles Poliquin's German Body Conditioning, which looks pretty good for getting stronger, getting bigger, and cutting down.

At the same time, I've considered just modifying the WODs a bit for more hypertrophy focus, doing Slizz's 10x3-10 pull up progression routine, and a lot of sprints/intervals.

What do you guys think? I really can't do the WODs that involve ANY ring elements. Nor can I do any of the FSP that make any sense when doing the giant set WODs.

Again, sorry if I sound finicky or silly, but again (again), I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place in my mind...

THANKS

Rafael David

In my case, I did not train anything besides football and surfing in my spare time. I was pretty skinny, I just had a six pack (BF around 8%) but had no arms or anything. Then I thought: "I do not want to be giant and without mobility (bodybuilding guys), I do not want to be strong, but still thin." Behold the picture of Goku and Vegeta came mind! Then I started looking for what I would get stronger and gain muscle! Then I remembered the episode where Goku trains in their ship, and the episode where Vegeta trains in his capsule of gravity. Then I found the calisthenics! So I researched that physical activity would give me the best level calisthenics, response: GYMNASTICS! So, I researched how to train gymnastics and get this forum, I bought the book, follow the WODs, and here I am, with a power over 9000 in comparison to before and about 15kg of muscle gains!

My advice: follow the WODs and give it time, do not rush. :wink:

You could also combine a hypertrophy oriented bodyweight routine with the FSPs. That way you will build strenght as well as size an will eventually progress to the WODs.

The last 3 or 4 months I did a escalating density training routine with bodyweight exercises only and did a SSC four times a week. Worked pretty well.

Joshua Naterman

This is all a bit silly and overly complicated.

If you want sarcoplasmic hypertrophy you're going to need to do 30-45s of TUT with 30-60s rests. You're probably looking at 4-5 sets total per muscle group. You can break that into reps by dividing by time per rep, rep number is much less important than total time under tension.

Make sure you do 2-3 strength sets in your warm up so that you maintain your strength gains. If you do not they WILL fade a bit.

If you want something in-between then switch off weeks between higher TUT and lower TUT (this is your strength work, 10x3 or whatever you do). Don't ever go to failure except during your very last set during sarcoplasmic hypertrophy weeks or periods or whatever you do.

Quick Start Test Smith
You could also combine a hypertrophy oriented bodyweight routine with the FSPs. That way you will build strenght as well as size an will eventually progress to the WODs.

The last 3 or 4 months I did a escalating density training routine with bodyweight exercises only and did a SSC four times a week. Worked pretty well.

Good idea. That's close to what I had in mind.

This is all a bit silly and overly complicated.

If you want sarcoplasmic hypertrophy you're going to need to do 30-45s of TUT with 30-60s rests. You're probably looking at 4-5 sets total per muscle group. You can break that into reps by dividing by time per rep, rep number is much less important than total time under tension.

Make sure you do 2-3 strength sets in your warm up so that you maintain your strength gains. If you do not they WILL fade a bit.

If you want something in-between then switch off weeks between higher TUT and lower TUT (this is your strength work, 10x3 or whatever you do). Don't ever go to failure except during your very last set during sarcoplasmic hypertrophy weeks or periods or whatever you do.

:oops:

Thanks. I will do that. :wink:

In my case, I did not train anything besides football and surfing in my spare time. I was pretty skinny, I just had a six pack (BF around 8%) but had no arms or anything. Then I thought: "I do not want to be giant and without mobility (bodybuilding guys), I do not want to be strong, but still thin." Behold the picture of Goku and Vegeta came mind! Then I started looking for what I would get stronger and gain muscle! Then I remembered the episode where Goku trains in their ship, and the episode where Vegeta trains in his capsule of gravity. Then I found the calisthenics! So I researched that physical activity would give me the best level calisthenics, response: GYMNASTICS! So, I researched how to train gymnastics and get this forum, I bought the book, follow the WODs, and here I am, with a power over 9000 in comparison to before and about 15kg of muscle gains!

My advice: follow the WODs and give it time, do not rush. :wink:

Good advice! Like I said, the WODs are a bit difficult because of scaling and core trunk strength. I really can't yet do any of the FL or BL progressions or variations, so it makes it difficult. No matter, though, I have a plan now. I'll use strength+hypertrophy week and strength+power week alternating system for 12 consecutive weeks, while doing light FSP warm up three times a week and a high volume FSP day once a week to get those FSP's up. Lots of sprints (maybe with a sled or tire if I can arrange the backyard area properly for it), intervals, calf work (straight leg bounces/hops, and raises), neck work, flexibility, and mobility stuff.

Once I get my FSP strength up I'll be able to do a LOT more gymnastic strength specific type of movements and positions.

Thanks to all :D

Joshua Naterman

I forgot to mention that during strength cycles you will want to do 1 set very close to failure of your hypertrophy routine. It takes 1 set to maintain your endurance gains (that's what you're getting from the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy) and 2-3 sets to maintain strength.