Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I install Eye Bolts for rings?

Jeremy Kieley

Jeremy Kieley

I've looked around online and googled a bit and can't find out how to do this for my specific situation.

Basically I need to figure out a way to install the rings that I've ordered. I have a doorway pullup bar but unfortunately when I moved to my current apartment, no door frame will allow it to be put up so I can't use that.

So it looks like I'm going to have to go with eye bolts, as they seem to be what you use to hang heavy objects. But I don't know how to hang them (I'm definitely not a handy guy). The thing is, I can't get at the stud. I'm in a basement apartment with drywall on the ceiling and I can't tear up the floor above us because it's not my apartment. And I can't really tear up the ceiling either.

So is there a way to just screw it in and it be secure? Or if an eyebolt doesn't work, another type of screw or something that would work?

edit: Also I should probably mention that I'd like each bolt to support at over 300 lbs in case I ever decide to do anything with a single ring (one arm hangs/chins, one hand pullups, etc), or I'm thinking of picking up a climbing rope which I could also attach to it, with the ability to add a bit of weight.(I'm between 200 - 210 lbs)

Jeremy Kieley

From looking around a little more I may have found some options.

Since I don't think a bolt is going to work, maybe an eye lag screw will work. This seems like a simple and inexpensive solution, except for the fact that I'm not sure their weight limits and how secure they are.

--------------------------------------

I've also found a few ceiling attachments, basically design to support heavy punching bags.

1) http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/p-1434-c ... hment.html

2) http://www.respectsport.co.uk/acatalog/ ... ments.html (scroll down to the Ceiling hook, and Pro Heavy Duty Ceiling Hook

The first one says it can hang weight up to 150lbs. So I'm assuming if you have a 100 - 150lb heavy bag that is getting beat around, it might be able to hold a persons weight. But then again, maybe not. And I'm mostly interested in the brackets weight limits. I can replace the screws with something stronger, and I can use an eye bolt instead of the hook.

The second seems pretty strong (especially the Pro Heavy Duty Ceiling Hook. But it doesn't give a weight limit.

I'd also rather not have to order these and would rather a local hardware store solution (something from Home Hardware or Home Depot).

And finally, it looks like another option is to attach a piece of 2x8 or something flat against the ceiling and use eye bolts through that. Assuming that wont break on me. But this is kind of ugly and the girlfirend wont enjoy a piece of wood across our living room ceiling lol

So the eye lag screws would be my best option if they can work. If they can, please let me know what size I'd need. The one I linked above is a 1/4X5" and I don't know if it'd be enough.

Nicholas Sortino

regardless of what you use to mount the rings, you need to attach it to the studs in your ceiling if it is drywall. Drywall will not hold your weight at all... it couldnt even cold my curtain rod when my dog decided to jump at the window because the evil mailman was there.

If you have a concrete ceiling, you should be able to anchor into that with whatever. But otherwise, the 2x8 screwed into a few different studs should be pretty good. Then just use whichever mount you like into the 2x8. I like the rotating heavy bag mount idea, since then you don't have to worry about your straps getting twisted up.

Jeremy Kieley
regardless of what you use to mount the rings, you need to attach it to the studs in your ceiling if it is drywall. Drywall will not hold your weight at all... it couldnt even cold my curtain rod when my dog decided to jump at the window because the evil mailman was there.

Haha yeah, I knew this much on my own. Got a stud finder borrowed and everything. And those mailmen can be pretty evil I hear. Besides, if that many dogs hate them, there has to be something wrong with them...

If you have a concrete ceiling, you should be able to anchor into that with whatever. But otherwise, the 2x8 screwed into a few different studs should be pretty good. Then just use whichever mount you like into the 2x8. I like the rotating heavy bag mount idea, since then you don't have to worry about your straps getting twisted up.

No concrete ceiling here, just drywall. Alright, the 2x8 sounds like Plan B. But I'd really like to know if just a couple eye lag bolts (mentioned above) into the studs will work, and what sizes they'd need to be. That's Plan A.

Jeremy Kieley

No one knows anything about using eye lag screws?

Hmm, well if no one knows then I may as well just go with Plan B to be on the safe side.

The best solution is to go up into the attic and mount a strong pair of cross braces across the rafters. Drill through them and the ceiling. Have someone feed a 1/4 inch min eye bolt up the hole, put on a large washer and bolt it. This will avoid the ugly look in the room and be very secure as long as the cross braces are properly installed.

Larry Roseman

I was dealing with a similar situation, however I didn't want to mess up my own

basement's ceiling. There is no way around it though.

You may need to get permission from your landlord. And agree to

patch/paint the ceiling or pay for it when moving.

I ended up using 3 lag bolts and a 3x3 approx (from a skid) with some slots chisled at the top

(closest to the ceiling) for the straps. That distributes the load (and I am a load) over a larger area.

However, what I would really like now is to setup a single adjustment that somehow keeps the rings

in sync always moving them together.

Jeremy Kieley
The best solution is to go up into the attic and mount a strong pair of cross braces across the rafters. Drill through them and the ceiling. Have someone feed a 1/4 inch min eye bolt up the hole, put on a large washer and bolt it. This will avoid the ugly look in the room and be very secure as long as the cross braces are properly installed.

Unfortunately not an option. I live in a basement apartment of a house with a finished ceiling and finished flooring above the apartment.

I was dealing with a similar situation, however I didn't want to mess up my own

basement's ceiling. There is no way around it though.

You may need to get permission from your landlord. And agree to

patch/paint the ceiling or pay for it when moving.

I ended up using 3 lag bolts and a 3x3 approx (from a skid) with some slots chisled at the top

(closest to the ceiling) for the straps. That distributes the load (and I am a load) over a larger area.

However, what I would really like now is to setup a single adjustment that somehow keeps the rings

in sync always moving them together.

Yeah, I've gotten permission from the landlord and I'll fix up the ceiling when I move out if it's important to them. You're idea of making slots in the wood is interesting. Though I think I'd rather go with the eye bolts.

• 4 weeks later...
Jeremy Kieley

Well it looks like our ceiling is aluminum studs or something. Can't get the rings up on the ceiling. Gonna have to do something else. But right now I don't know what to do and it looks like I'm gonna be ringless for a while.

Oh well, at least I got my parallettes for now.