Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I trying to do too much in one workout?

lummisc

I love using body-weight exercise and I agree that they are superior to pure weightlifting (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2989) if you want a physically strong body with a high degree of athleticism.

So I have incorporated the following resistance training routine 3 days per week.

1 Back Lever Progression

1 Front Lever Progression

1 Planche Progression

1 Manna Progression

1 L-Sit @ 45 degree angle (always trying to get into a higher degree angle)

I perform a total of a 5 sec hold for each at the highest difficulty level I can in my progression journey. Total work volume for each is 25 seconds. So that is the equivalent of doing 5 reps for 5 sets (5x5) in weight lifting terminology.

Then I will perform one pulling exercise and one pushing exercise using resistance bands (bodylastics). The pulling exercise is a back row type and the pushing is a chest press type.

I was doing a shoulder press next using resistance bands, but I switched to working through the progressions toward performing HeSPUs after feeling a light twinge in my right shoulder. So now I am only going to use body-weight for developing my shoulders.

I finish my workout by performing uneven pull ups (I'm not up to a one arm yet) for a bicep exercise and L-sit dips for a triceps exercise.

Now my question is related to my inclusion of the resistance band exercises. Do I even need these? Wouldn't performing a row while in a front lever replace the resistance band row while at the same time be a superior type of back row movement? And as far as the chest press resistance band exercise. Wouldn't pursuing a planche push up be superior to the chest press using resistance bands?

Should I sell my bodylastics bands on Ebay and only focus on my body-weight routine? I do plan on investing in some ring later this year.

Thanks for your input.

You could do either really, however a BW exercise will get you more carryover towards BW mastery.

Honestly, I think you may end up crash and burning. 5s max holds can be very tough on your CNS and your connective tissue. TIme will tell.

5s max holds can be very tough on your CNS and your connective tissue.

Blairbob,

Thanks for the input. What do you suggest? How many sets of max 5s holds should I only perform?

Sliz prefers the SSC method. So 1m using work sets of 10 (he prefers, but I'm ok with 10)-20s and 1m, typically 1x60s or 2x30 of the prior progression before that. On a recent thread, he stated how many reps he likes 1/week of around 80% but I can't recall.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, you have to be careful. It usually works well to have a low volume hard day once a week where you're doing 3-4 holds for say adv tuck if you are typically training tuck, but the bulk of your week should be spent where you actually belong for safe training.

The SSC allows your body to heal according to its own built-in timeline, which ensures that you will basically never give yourself any training injuries. That's pretty important to me, but everyone is entitled to have a different opinion if they wish!

Yes, I know what you mean now.

It a funny twist of irony, after I wrote my post. The next day after one of my intense FSP sessions, I noticed my back was sore and in a way that tells me I need to rest. I think what did it was I performed wide grip L-Seat Pull Ups right after I was done with my intense FSP.

So implementing Slizzardman's recommendation of only one day per week of 3-4 sec holds is a great idea, and I think on those days I will also not add any additional body weight exercises on top of the intense FSP training. I need to remember I am now 37, even if I look and feel 27. HA!

I'm new here, so I do not understand all the acronymns. What do you mean by SSC? Does it mean Static Strengh Conditioning?

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Slizzardman,

I do have the book, I just do not remember that acronymn. I'll have to search for the term. Thanks.

Joshua Naterman

No worries! Check in the back in the programming section! It details the SSC and how to set it up.