Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to go into a straight handstand?

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

I'm able to do a straight handstand when in an arched handstand, but I can't go directly to a straight handstand or press up to a straight handstand. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance!

Philip Chubb

There could be several different problems. You could be loose and relaxed on the kick up/press, kicking over too far, or your shoulder flexibility could be a bit off. Why don't you put up a video so your form can be seen.

When pressing, you want to think of moving each vertebrae in your spine one at a time. Trying to bring up everything at once will almost snap you into in arched position to compensate.

For kick ups, it might help you and some others who are reading this to try thinking of kicking up a little differently. Instead of kicking and hoping you land in the right place, think of the kick up as a cheated press. Get into position with your hands on the ground and kick your kicking leg with a small amount of force. Use the momentum to continue the press with your shoulders. This will give you much more control over the kick up than just kicking and trying to land with your weight in your palm.

• 2 weeks later...

Try keeping your first leg straight when kicking up. That's the main reason, I would say. Also try to keep your chin in. When you stick your head out like that, you naturally arch. Your handstand should look like what it looks like right before you come down.

Yaad Mohammad
Try keeping your first leg straight when kicking up. That's the main reason, I would say. Also try to keep your chin in. When you stick your head out like that, you naturally arch. Your handstand should look like what it looks like right before you come down.

Helped me a lot, just need to perfect it now! Also, welcome to the forums :)

• 2 weeks later...

Helped me a lot, just need to perfect it now! Also, welcome to the forums :)

Haha, thanks! And I'm glad my advice was helpful :-)