Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Gymnastic Questions

CalisthenicGod

thanks, Sliz for correcting me on GVT as that sounds right.

interestingly enough I have changed my bent arm strength to weighted pullups and dips on one day, and just more volumized reps on the other (bent arm strength is 2x/week, weighted dips and pullups are not down on the same day so one is weighted the other is volume [ mainly because i found trying weighted dips and pullups on the same day was too much ]

so far, i really enjoyed my straight arm day on monday and bent arm day on tuesday and I got through everything for once.

CalisthenicGod

Is the leverage difference between pointed toes and non-pointed toes really that significant? I find SLS with toes curled up (like how Jim from BeastSkills does it) rather than pointed toes much more smooth and to me it looks more aesthetic. If I were to do Planche/FL/BL and L-Sit without pointed toes would that really make much difference? I know gymnasts point their toes to look more aesthetic and decrease a bit of leverage (according to Blairbob). I may be over-analyzing and over-thinking, what do you guys think?

Eddie Stelling

The toe point is for aesthetics; however, it's main purpose is creating body tension. When you point your toes hard you will sub consciously tighten your quads, your glutes, your calves, and your abs which gives you a very nice rigid hollow body. If you don't need point your toes to create this tension then by all means do what you want with your legs and feet (unless you are a competing gymnast). I personally think the only time it looks cool to not have a straight lower body with a toe point is when some strong Bboys like Junior do a planche and keep there legs tense but make them bent and there feet uneven as if they were floating! Junior can get away with that b/c of those little legs he has (not by choice).

Quick Start Test Smith

I have a gymnastic question. Dynamic upper body pushing WODs sometimes give me DOMS in my triceps. What are the negatives of training while sore? Are there any?

Joshua Naterman

No negative aspects to training while sore. If you're weak too you won't be able to load the muscles enough to get a good training effect but if you are strong and sore it is fine. If you're weak you're better off doing a really light workout to help flush everything out, kick start healing again and also preserve muscle so that when you feel strong you can put a good workout in.