Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapula position for basic and static exercises

Dillon Zrike

Connor Davies

wing02a.jpg If anyone was looking for a rather disturbing winged scapula, here it is! :)

I didn't need to see that....

• Upvote 1

Jake Lawrance

I didn't need to see that....

It's great, turn him on his side and you have a cup holder! Heck even mix your salad on it!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Christopher Brothers

You will almost always see it unless you are heavily muscled, but there should not be a gap that you can stick your finger into between the shoulder blade and your ribs. Google "winging scapula" and check the images to see what it looks like.

What about us that have hyper-mobility in our shoulders/scapular?  I have always been able to chicken wing very well and no amount of serratus work has ever changed anything.  

• 2 weeks later...

In side lever, is one scapula elevated, and one depressed? And how about protracted/retracted?

Yes, one elevated, one depressed-- one straight arm pushing, one pulling. It ends up pretty much neutral, but that's the action you want to be actively activating.

Protracted/retracted? Neutral I think, never thought about it, not really important. Definitely important in side lever pulls, but I would expect not to need isolation cues to work those unless you are encountering a problem that is not explained by strength...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Muscles that cause scapular motion

Scapular elevation: Upper Trapezius, Levator Scapula, Rhomboid

Scapular depression: Lower Trapezius, Pectoralis Minor

Scapular protraction: Serratus Anterior, Pectoralis Minor

Scapular retraction: Middle Trapezius, Rhomboid

Scapular upward/lateral rotation: Lower Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, Upper Trapezius

Scapular downward/medial rotation: Rhomboid, Pectoralis Minor, Levator Scapula 

As a side note and to be fair to the author(s), I found the above information here at this link.

• Like 1

Muscles that cause scapular motion

Scapular elevation: Upper Trapezius, Levator Scapula, Rhomboid

Scapular depression: Lower Trapezius, Pectoralis Minor

Scapular protraction: Serratus Anterior, Pectoralis Minor

Scapular retraction: Middle Trapezius, Rhomboid

Scapular upward/lateral rotation: Lower Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, Upper Trapezius

Scapular downward/medial rotation: Rhomboid, Pectoralis Minor, Levator Scapula 

As a side note and to be fair to the author(s), I found the above information here at this link.

I was sure that scapula depression engages the lats too !!!

Connor Davies

I was sure that scapula depression engages the lats too !!!

I too have felt a lot of lat activation during depression.

• 2 weeks later...

When someone says "your lower back is not hollowed " when im doing planche , does  it mean my lower back is not flat?

Keilani Gutierrez

When someone says "your lower back is not hollowed " when im doing planche , does  it mean my lower back is not flat?

to keep it consistent, if you aren't hollow, you aren't hollow. if you aren't in the same shape while supine(back to the floor) then when you're prone(abs to the floor, butt to the sky) chances are the position was lost. it gets even more complicated when you're suspended horizontally(like in a front lever or a planche, in your case.)

Edited by KeilaniG
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How should the scapulae be during ring flies? 

I also would want to know this. Is it correct if I try to protract, but at lower position my scapula is winging a little?

How should it be with scapula position when doing push up work? Is it good if doing all push ups with protracted scapula? It is quite difficult to me to get chest to the ground without winging scapula. Should I accept winging scapula or do without full ROM? Or stretch so much my shoulders? So is it necessary to protract all time during for example Straddle Planche Push Ups or PPP+?

Matthew Jefferys

I seem to have really strong trapezius/levator scapulae muscles, because when I elevate during the handstand, my deltoids touch my ears and I fall over. A neutral position with a focus on static upper trapezius activation seems to be the most stable. Does anyone else think differently, and if so, why?

Edited by Mercurial Flow

Matthew Jefferys

What about us that have hyper-mobility in our shoulders/scapular?  I have always been able to chicken wing very well and no amount of serratus work has ever changed anything.  

I know you posted this ages ago, so you've probably discovered the answer, but my best guess would be that it's a rhomboid problem; not serratus anterior.

• 4 weeks later...
Connor Davies

Elevated and protracted. This is mandatory to have a good shoulder flexion.

I understand elevated, but why protracted?

Keilani Gutierrez

I understand elevated, but why protracted?

stabilize the scapula against the ribcage, to what degree beats me, but it occurs

Connor Davies

stabilize the scapula against the ribcage, to what degree beats me, but it occurs

But wouldn't I get more overhead mobilisation by retracting?

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic