Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Waiting Before Planche Work?

Martin Hodges

Martin Hodges

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading posts at the forum here for about two years now, but this is my first post.

Like a number of other posters, I started working exercises from the GB book, and though initially achieved good results in positions like the planche, I eventually stalled out. I’ve “reset†a couple of times, starting over with the SSC at frog stand and progressing through the advanced frog stand and finally ending up at about 10s tuck planche before I stall out.

Of course, as I’ve read more and more of older posts and as I’ve re-read the book and some of Coach Sommer’s comments, I’ve realized that I’ve missed some very fundamental steps. I pretty much started from the beginning working planche and FL positions, meanwhile neglecting L-sit, BL, and handstand work...all of which I’ve now learned are crucial building blocks.

So, after going back and working the fundamental exercises in steady state cycles, this is my current stage for L-sit, BL, and HS.

L-sit with hands on two chairs and bent knees 1x60s,

L-sit w/ straight legs below horizontal 3x20s

BL flat tuck 3x30s

HS with back to the wall 3x40s

So here’s the question I wanted to ask. In another post, Coach said that he felt that a person should have a solid 3x30s L-sit on the floor before even starting planche work.

So am I wasting my time to continue working tuck planche SSC while I build up L-sit to the 3x30s on the floor requirement? Should i just cease planche SSC and perhaps just work PPPU and planche leans instead?

I realize these questions are sometimes difficult to answer without knowing the person’s full training methods, so If i need to be more specific, tell me how. Any help would be most appreciated.

All the Best,

Martin

If you've already been doing the tuck PL there is no problem with continuing to work with it. That is also from Coach Sommer, the important thing is to treat it as play right now and let the main emphasis be on getting the 60 sec L.

Joshua Naterman

10s tuck planche is very borderline. I would suggest 1-2 holds 4-7 days a week for maybe 6-8s instead of trying to perform 60s or any real aggregate time. I think all you can do that way right now is build up injuries. Planche leans and very very low volume tuck planche should be plenty right now. You really need to be focusing more on the foundational work like the L-sit that has been discussed.

Between that, working on structural balance, and building strength in dips and PPP you should make progress at a safe pace.

Exactly, i didn't mean to imply to try and build on your Tuck PL, just that its fine to maintain it. Slizz's addition comments are on the money.

Martin Hodges

Thanks Brady and slizz,

That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll decrease my planche volume and focus on the basics!

Martin

Instead of PL work I would focus on ring support. L-sit should still be worked though. This is what I'm doing besides planche leans on a swiss ball (bouncing) and rings.

After I hit my 60s of ring support, I'll move onto L on rings, then HS. Then it will be time to add in ring flys and cross work since by then I should have my FL nailed and my BL will getting wide besides OAC and advanced HSPU, Dip, and PPPU progressions.

My thoughts is I will then be able to breeze through a lot of the progressions somewhat quickly with SSC cycles.

It's just getting there that will be the issue.

Joshua Naterman

Agreed Bob! XR support is definitely one of the very basics, yet it really goes a long way! Definitely give a bit of priority to XR support over planche leans, but both will help. You really do have to have a good XR support if you ever expect to do any of the fun stuff on the rings!