Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced lower body strength moves?

Nick

Guest Ido Portal

Nick, those abilities are developed because of my sports requirements, of course with a different sport like basketball, you have different demends.

For example a Bbal player has no need to be able to lift his leg high and hold it there, and he should use his training and recovery time for the development of other abilities.

Contractile and elastic abilities geared to jump training, movement direction change, speed and specific endurance are highly improtant here, though.

Hi Ido, could you explain a little about what iso-active and iso-passive flexibility are... I've never heard of those before. Are they just isometric stretching? Thanks.

Guest Ido Portal

Iso - active stretching is not realy streching, but strengthening the antagonsit muscles to the ones who get stretched in the extreme range on motion and using only these muscles to get to the position. (hence active - no passive means to get into position) For example holding your leg up as high as you can and keeping it there for the duration of the set.

Iso - passive is often called PNF, isometric stretching, etc... This method mainly deals with strengthening the streched muscles (sometimes the antagonsists) in the extreme ROM which was achieved passivly. Through this strengthening, a new ROM is allowed by the CNS, as the body is capable of handling this new ROM. (simpliffied of course)

I find these two methods complimentry, especialy because they deal with two counter muscle systems. (the one streched in the position and the antagonistic one - responsible of getting into this position)

Oh ok thank you very much. I think I've read about those in Tom Kurz book, though he had slightly different names for them, hence the confusion. Thank you for clearing that up. Do you do this during or after you workout generally?

Guest Ido Portal

First things first: do them if you need them.

Inserting them in the right spot is what the art of programming the training process is all about, there is no simple answer.

David Picó García

In the last month i have gone to 1-2 rep in the pistols with the left leg and 1 or none with right to 5 in a row with each leg.

The way I've done it is with elastic bands, just to assist to reach five or six reps for 3 sets two or three times a week. The technique was to hang the elastic band to something over your head (in my case it was an horizontal leader of the gym), and get the two extremes of the elastic band with the hands and with arms straight lower like a cross-pistol.

So I'm thinking of this type of assist with other exercises where i just i can do 1 rep or none. Just thinking how to do that :roll:

Yes, pistols respond very quickly to improvement, especially if you already have the strength needed and only need to gain balance and comfort with the technique. In my opinion the best way to gain the ability to do them is just hold on to something for balance. Obviously if you're lacking strength, you would also be using your assistance hand to help yourself come back up, with the goal being to gradually try to reduce the tightness of your grip.

For me personally, I guess I've come back full circle and come to the belief that to continue developing my lower body strength, I just need to squat heavy. Pistols are a great supplement, but probably not a solution in and of themselves. However, I still believe that gymnastics strength work for the upper body is the way to go.

In the last month i have gone to 1-2 rep in the pistols with the left leg and 1 or none with right to 5 in a row with each leg.

The way I've done it is with elastic bands, just to assist to reach five or six reps for 3 sets two or three times a week. The technique was to hang the elastic band to something over your head (in my case it was an horizontal leader of the gym), and get the two extremes of the elastic band with the hands and with arms straight lower like a cross-pistol.

So I'm thinking of this type of assist with other exercises where i just i can do 1 rep or none. Just thinking how to do that Rolling Eyes

This is also something I've been thinking about. If anyone with more experience could comment that would be great. Basically, would simply performing an assisted version of a skill be as effective or more so than the typical progressions we see? Ex: Instead of working the planche/front lever progressions would it be just as effective to hold the postion (a full planche) with a partner helping hold the legs? It would require a good partner to know exactly how much assistance to provide, but I can't help but think that this would be a good training method.

David Picó García
Ex: Instead of working the planche/front lever progressions would it be just as effective to hold the postion (a full planche) with a partner helping hold the legs?

I was thinking on that too :wink:

I'm also doing this with the cross. I started to train the cross with elastic bands, well some of them in fact, to be sure i can do full rom pulls without risk for my elbows and planing to remove one band after a period of time. Since doing this (a month ago or so), i found my biceps and pecs to grow.

I cant see to much improve on strength, because i don't want to try without bands because I'm still not strong enough so i didnt test it, well I started 3x3 and now i'm at 4x5 so there is some improvement.

It would take more time besides making your spotter tired from having to spot you and then do the progression himself. Not so great for efficiency.

For planche leg spotting: I prefer chest and leg spotting at the same time (from side spotting). It's more natural moving....

For crosses I like to do all kind of things and variations at the same time: like spotting on legs, elastic bands, pully and alone (that exercise in my opinion is the most important beacuse you teach your muscles to hold with exact weight and movement is slight diffrent from elastic band like is diffrent from elastic to spotting). You can try alone once or twice it won't harm.