Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wall HS as wrist extensor exercise?

Blairbob

On Sunday I came across an old gymnastics article by a gal named the "PostureLady" in the GymnasticsWorld about wrist rehab. One of the main points is that gymnastics do a lot of wrist flexor stuff especially with all the swinging work (especially MAG) however wrist imbalances can occur due to lack of wrist extensor work.

I was thinking of what to do about that and was wondering if wall HS could cover the bill. Quite possibly circle work can work wrist extensors but the wrist flexes beyond what our wrists our naturally used to so I doubt it's the same. As well, most beginners end up slamming their wrists on the mushroom or floor a lot because of their poor technique.

Thoughts?

On Sunday I came across an old gymnastics article by a gal named the "PostureLady" in the GymnasticsWorld about wrist rehab. One of the main points is that gymnastics do a lot of wrist flexor stuff especially with all the swinging work (especially MAG) however wrist imbalances can occur due to lack of wrist extensor work.

I was thinking of what to do about that and was wondering if wall HS could cover the bill. Quite possibly circle work can work wrist extensors but the wrist flexes beyond what our wrists our naturally used to so I doubt it's the same. As well, most beginners end up slamming their wrists on the mushroom or floor a lot because of their poor technique.

Thoughts?

I think that it would increase wrist flexibilty and the stability is good for both the extensor muscles and the flexor muscles but I don't think it would target or fix the wrist imbalance problem. I'm assuming you mean imbalance as in muscular strength imbalance not a flexibility imbalance? I target the wrist extensors by having my gymnasts do wrist rolls. Simply attach a weight to a piece of rope and attach that rope to a stick. Then roll the weight up the stick, making sure that your are rolling it the correct way to target the wrist extensors instead of the flexors.

Hope I contributed to your thoughts :P

Rev

I am familiar with that though the author of that article, the PostureLady wasn't very fond of that exercise. We used to do them back when I was a kid.

I was more of just thinking of the use of the WallHS as a wrist extensor exercise.

I am familiar with that though the author of that article, the PostureLady wasn't very fond of that exercise. We used to do them back when I was a kid.

I was more of just thinking of the use of the WallHS as a wrist extensor exercise.

Yeah sorry but I just don't really think a wall HS is a good wrist extensor exercise. There are a number of other things you can do instead. If you figure out that a wall HS is a good wrist extensor exercise let me know because I'll be interested to know exactly how.

Cheers,

Rev

Joshua Naterman

Rubber bands outside the fingers for finger extensors and supported wrist rollers for wrist extensors are the two best ways to go, honestly. There's a ton of other stuff but those are the cheapest and easiest and are very effective.

Nic Scheelings

Another wrist extensor exercise you can try. Put your fist in a bucket of rice and open your hand, the further in the rice the harder. But as for Wall HS I don't think it really does the job as strengthening your wrist extensors much, they probably work a bit harder in a HS pushup tho