Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring HS

Newguy

Okay, so I think I am strong enough to start practicing freestanding ring HS's. I can do it with RTO arms locked feet on the inside of straps. BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO BALANCE IT!!! How the heck do you balance one? :shock:

Also random question, will freestanding ring HS's help with my press HS's?

freestanding ring HS's help with my press HS's?
Yes, it will help with the ability to lock your arms out in the press.

it's a good idea to be able to hold a consistent parallette HS in the first place.

My parallette HS isn't great and tends to be spotty. I can press to the HS and hold it for just about long enough to get credit. The press is bent arms now as it's gotten weaker later but at one time was getting close to a lock arm last year? No video though.

Lower the rings so they touch the matt underneath the rings, this way you can regulate the wobbeling that will occur, as you get better higher the rings centimeter by centimeter.

Chaim Nadel

"Re: Ring HS

by Newguy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:17 am

So when I am in a HS my knuckles are touching the ground?"

You don't want your knuckles to touch the ground. You can too easily then hurt or injure yourself that way. You want the rings to be close enough to the ground so that you can extend your fingers down to control the swing.

"

You don't want your knuckles to touch the ground. You can too easily then hurt or injure yourself that way. You want the rings to be close enough to the ground so that you can extend your fingers down to control the swing.

There has to be a soft matt on the ground

• 1 month later...

This is how I practice it. If you look close I have a matress under the rings that stabilizes the rings.

jIH_0npw4xQ

yuri marmerstein
Okay, so I think I am strong enough to start practicing freestanding ring HS's. I can do it with RTO arms locked feet on the inside of straps. BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO BALANCE IT!!! How the heck do you balance one? :shock:

Also random question, will freestanding ring HS's help with my press HS's?

The balance for ring handstand is completely different from handstand on floor or PB, so you have to work it separately. on floor or PB, the idea is to lock the shoulders and balance from the hands, for rings because the hands are not fixed, you must balance from the shoulders. It is a much different sensation and needs it's own set of practice.

Careful though, I've seen some ring guys who have dodgy floor handstands because they get used to balancing from their shoulder.

Yes, there is some carryover from ring HS to straight arm press but they are still their own separate animals and must be conquered accordingly.

The mattress idea is good as I've fallen forward many a time working ring handstands

for rings because the hands are not fixed, you must balance from the shoulders.

Thanks Yuri, I will focus on that next time.

@Yuri: news to me as well. Thanks for the education. (ps; I am nearly there with the OAHS, will post video when I get more comfortable...)

yuri marmerstein

Excellent news Jim, I'd love to see video when you get a chance.

Also, my brother is in St. Louis now for college

yuri marmerstein
@ Wharsh U? He might be working out at my gym...

the one and only. I don't know how much he'll be working out for the time being as he has a broken wrist

but if I ever come visit him I'll definitely let you know

• 10 months later...
Mikko Saks

Im finding it VERY VERY hard to learn the ring handstand, cause Im not used to arching my back, and i think you HAVE to keep your back arched alittle in order to hold a ring hanstand?

Well, just need more practise then. Im training this daily now, separate from my main training sessions, mainly just before i go to sleep i try it maybe 5-10 times. Slowly getting there but still, nowhere near :)

yuri marmerstein
Im finding it VERY VERY hard to learn the ring handstand, cause Im not used to arching my back, and i think you HAVE to keep your back arched alittle in order to hold a ring hanstand?

)

Nope, the same rules of handstand position apply.

It's hard for most people(myself included) to properly open their shoulders while turning the rings out so this is the main reason why the arch commonly occurs.