Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About the Janda Sit Up

StevenL

Someone recently asked about the Janda Sit Up, and was told that it isolates the abs, so it goes against Pavel's teachings or something of that sort. Pavel recently responded to a question similar on a website:

'isolation' is not the exact word; I used to it make the benefits obvious to laymen. What the Ab Pavelizer does is retrains you to use the correct, functional pattern that involves a synergistic action of the abs and glutes. One has no power when the abs contract w'o the glutes. Using a wrestling example, think of a tackle. If the abs/glutes tense on impact your tackle will be a lot more powerful. Using a MA example, should you try to front kick with your quads/hip flexors/abso only, you will fail to put your weight behind the kick and fail to use the reaction force from the ground. This is explained in the Martial Power. - Pavel Tsatsouline

Hope this helps everybody understand what the move is about.

i understand the point pavel is making but having said that i think that the janda situp's abdominal strengthening ability is vastly over-rated. no reasonably strong recreational or competing gymnast will find enough resistance in janda situps to make it worth while adding it to their conditioning. i certainly dont and compared to some of coachs students im at a relatively basic level

hmm. . . not trying to discredit you or anything but from what I've heard, if you don't have much problem with jandas, you're doing them wrong. it is a pretty difficult movement, but probably not for even a mediocre gymnast. I think it doesn't even come close to the front lever in terms of abdominal strength needed, and the front lever is considered a simple skill. Speaking of core strength, did anyone see that guy(I think he was Ukranian) do the victorian at the olympics? if that wasn't perfect, he was at least very close.

the guy performing the victorian at the olympics was danny rodrigues of france. heres a pic of one of his victorians

l3319032.jpg