Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Xtreme Ring Stand?

Guest Garre33

Guest Garre33

I was wondering if anyone knew of a stand or something that could hold up the rings... I live in an apartment so I don't want to put holes in the ceiling. I was looking at a power tower and thought I could use the chin up portion as a support for the rings. (Just like glwanabe did in his garage)

http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-Power- ... 610&sr=8-2

If I remove the back support pad I could make more room for my legs to swing through the main supports, but I wanted to know if anyone else has any better ideas before I dish out almost $200... Thanks everyone!

Garrett

I bought a power tower a year ago, before I learned about this site, for only $75. The brand is Spartan. I'm actually trying to get rid of it, because I use my rings instead.

I'm renting a house, but I figured four little holes in the unfinished garage ceiling wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't be hard to patch.

Try to find a cheap power tower off of CraigsList. Mine, a Golds, when brand new was less than a 100 bucks.

Guest Garre33

I don't actually have a backyard, and I'm too embarrassed to go to the park, haha... I found free standing chin up bars (similar to high bars) and power racks that could support the rings, but I think I will just settle for the power tower. My main concern was not having enough space to fully move around and utilize all of the exercises on the xtreme rings, but then I realized that I am a complete beginner with them and that it will probably take me quite a while until I am strong enough to get to that point...

Why are you embarrass to go to the park? Is it to far? Swing sets are great for rings. Maybe it's you but I wouldn't buy 200 worth of metal that is unnecessary. Another option is to make one. You can make a power tower station or you can just make a high bar in your back yard. This was my original plan. Buy some really long bars from Home Depot or anywhere you can find bars and connect then with a bar however you long you want and this will be the bar for the rings. So it'll look something like the letter n. So after that dig you the ground deep enough and buy some cement from the Home Depot and read the instructions on how to apply let it dry and Ta-da! You have a sturdy bar!

PS. Remember always go with low tech as it is effective.

Nic Scheelings

The best place i've ever found to hang the rings is off the swing set at my local park. Only problem is a little kid started crying cuz he thought i'd broken the swings by moving them out of the way, i had to show him it was ok :lol:

I tell you nothing beats a football field goal. They also are a bit unstable and wobble which adds a little more instability to the rings. A soccer field goal would be more stable.

I thought abouts swingsets, but I like to have room around me. Sand or grass, neither is very soft.

Oh yeah the kids... LOL. I also rather train where people are around so I can get motivated. When I am working around in the back yard I feel less energized and don't work as hard. But yeah I have never thought of a football field goal and it is a great place too! Maybe even better! Anyways there are lot's of possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Garre33

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I have the power tower all set up, and the rings work nicely with it. I don't know if there will be enough room to perform the advanced techniques, but I don't have to worry about that for a while.

• 1 month later...

I designed this (in ms paint) and had it made

The middle brace actually comes out without any lost of stability and the unit is a rock solid 120kg of thick steel

statin1io1.jpg

station2qh1.jpg

Had it triple powder coat finshed in hammered

cimg4088be2.jpg

I have a proper high bar outside though so this is just for a bit of indoor strength stuff.

Guest Garre33
It seems good and all but how can you do front levers and such?

That was my concern. I just removed the back padded support meant for leg raises and now I have enough room to do levers.

It seems good and all but how can you do front levers and such?
The middle brace actually comes out without any lost of stability and the unit is a rock solid 120kg of thick steel

Its permanently set up without the middle brace and away from a wall.

You can't do handstands, presses to handstands, levers....

And straps are shorters, so it would be much easier.

John Sapinoso

^^ but that shouldn't stop you from working out. a smaller strap won't stop you from getting stronger, doing something is almost always better than doing nothing.

Coach Sommer

Beautifully Done

Alex,

That piece is beautifully done!

I am certainly no engineer, but perhaps for the next project, it occurs to me that extending the support arms out further on both the top and bottom would still counterbalance and give you additional working room out from the rear supports for training more advanced elements. What do you think?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

You can't do handstands, presses to handstands, levers....

And straps are shorters, so it would be much easier.

I have a high bar in the garage for those, This is just for a few moves inside when its cold. 8) Also my training isn't really gymnastics I'm just here for the basics and ways to enrich my training life. The station is primarily an indoor solid pull up station with the added feature of a place to hang rings 50cm apart and do a few basic strength moves and for that its perfect.

Beautifully Done

Alex,

That piece is beautifully done!

I am certainly no engineer, but perhaps for the next project, it occurs to me that extending the support arms out further on both the top and bottom would still counterbalance and give you additional working room out from the rear supports for training more advanced elements. What do you think?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hey Coach thanks for the kind words, the design was a space compromise really. I was going to go with a lot more width but then the wife got involve in the design :D

You could definatly extend the support arms but I have to say i've not once touched the back uprigths as you can just face outwards as well. Having said that I'm sure there's probably a few advanced moves you have in mind that i've not thought about. But anyway its a lovely compact unit for basic indoor stuff, and I sourced it all within 20 miles.

Its also got bolt holes in the corners so it can be fully bolted to the floor.

In that case, I have to get myself one of those... You should put them into production haha How much did it cost?

Not that much actually I am from the UK though so its a 1:1 for equipment for us. I payed £350 so $350

Powder coating is expensive and without that would have been a fair bit cheaper.

You could lift the midlle suporter a bit higher, and then you can work better 8)

I didn't mean anything bad, if it sounded like that :)

I think it would be easier to mount it on ceilling :?:

You could lift the midlle suporter a bit higher, and then you can work better 8)

I didn't mean anything bad, if it sounded like that :)

I think it would be easier to mount it on ceilling :?:

Hey Gregor, It didn't sound bad :) - all valid points.

I've completely removed the middle brace straight after taking those pics, It was just an overkill feature I added to the design in case stability wasn't that great. I knew it would be fine without but just in case, it was there for back up. As it was primarily just a fixed bar for chins I wanted to make sure that part of it was rock solid. There's also holes for it right near the bottom and top so it can be moved out the way but completely removed is best and there's no change to the unit stability without it in place.

The bar is around 7.5" high so there's a fair bit more height than the average chin stand for maneuvers. It does what I want perfectly but if I was designing it as a serious ring gymnastic aid I'd definitely have gone the way that coach was saying. More height, More width, more room etc.

8)

• 2 years later...
jollyrancher

Alex,

Found this post while googling "gymnastic ring stand".

The rig you had made is sweet. You realize you could actually sell those things?

I'm in the UK too and looking for something similar. Did you just go to some little welding fabrication shop and get them to knock it up?

I actually consider making something out of wood!

Failing that... buy a cheap kid's swing set and put rings in the middle rather than the swing!

John