Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand Shrugs

newguy5000

Hi guys i did a quick search and couldn't turn up a video of this. I know it sounds self explanatory - handstand shrug, get in a handstand and shrug. I tried this and perhaps i lack the appropriate body awareness but i am finding it quite difficult to feel if i am doing the movement right or at all. I did it from a wall handstand.

I was wondering if someone could point me to a video that shows someone doing a handstand shrug (freestanding or against a wall either is fine). I think it might help me to see the muscles moving on someone else's back so i can try to get a visual cue to doing it myself. For all i know i was doing it fine it just feels hard to tell having never seen one.

I'm kinda slow on these things, until i saw someone doing a scapular push up i couldn't figure out how to do those either.

Umm couldn't find a video but then again I'll be honest I didn't look very hard :P

I thought I might try to explain it to you. The easiest way to understand it is to simply do it from a standing position. Put your arms up as if you were doing a handstand. Then relax your shoulders and bring your elbows towards your ears with straight arms (so basically your whole arm is just moving vertically downwards from your shoulder). Then push your hands towards the roof and try and hide your ears with your shoulders. It is the exact same movement simply inverted. If you think you are doing it correctly and want to confirm then upload a video.

If your main problem is connecting the muscle movement to the idea in your brain then doing the above drill a couple of times a day should help :)

Let me know if I can help any more,

Rev

You guys are totally awesome. Both the video and the explanation help a lot. I am going to try them later today and film my back so i can see if i am executing it correctly. Thanks very much for the assistance. Any comments on the difference between doing handstand shrugs instead of dumbell shrugs? I have been using a dumbell and doing front shrugs and behind the back shrugs - is it worth replacing these with handstand shrugs or using a mix?

Thanks again, much appreciated.