Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

muscle up aid

Dillon Castro

Dillon Castro

Coach Sommer,

i just got my extreme rings and am enjoying them thoroughly. I have been trying to develop the muscle up but i can't quite get through the transition of the pull-up to the dip. I was wondering if it would help to set the rings at shoulder level and press downward, making sort of a pseudo muscle-up static contraction, for x amount of seconds to build strength at that joint angle?

Always a pleasure to read what you have written,

Dillon Castro

I wouldn't really work you said, but you can try, most people forget that a muscle up is a pull then a push(pull up to a dip), work those 2 skills to begin with.

Try my video also, this will help you break that barrier, sorry for the quality, I made it quickly and it was awhile ago and found it on my computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWqZ0118hoY

Try the first part, pull either in the L position, or knees bent and hold rings at least shoulder width apart, and pull up and hold to shoulder height, hold for around 3 seconds or how ever long you can, once again work the work pull ups preferably false grip pull ups and ring dips.

David Picó García

I think the best way to develop the muscle up is to do pull ups with false grip trying to go as high as possible, working on that more that trying to increase the numbers of pull up reps, to do one muscle up you just need one pull up :P , the higher you go on your false grip pull up the easier the transition will be (your hands have to reach your armpits not just 'chin-up' so try to do the pulls until you can do that way). And about the transition, if you do it quickly you don't need strength at all, is just a quick movement of the elbows going from down - up. When you can do some muscle ups then you can start to do them slowly, then the transition is really a hard pushing movement.

Coach Sommer

Link for Muscle-up Transition Essay

The following essay will give you some detailed tips for developing the muscle-up transition.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest Valentin

Hi

My advice (especially if you dont have a spotter is)

1- Work on doing 3-4 power chin-ups (Where speed on chin-up is the goal< hopefully you will have enough form strictness not to allow yourself to just jerk out 3-4 chins) in a row on rings (keeping rings parallel). Focus on pulling the rings down to your arm pits. If you are particularly ok with the Chin-ups do it in false grip

2- Put your feet on a raised surface so that you are hanging in a L with your feet on a raised surface. From there do a muscle up.. Its much easier because you can push down with your legs to manually spot yourself as much as you need it. You can also work in this way transitions.

3- Work on getting that nice deep dip on rings as Coach Sommer recommends.

one thing i dont like about kbryk video (and no offense intended), is that he is keeping the the rings way to far out. Its not really wrong, but it doesn't make the exercises any easier. For someone wanting to learn it keeping the rings close to your body and making a fast transition is really the key.

Dillon Castro

Thank you all gentlemen. I can't wait until i can finally achieve a muscle-up.