Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Knowing exactly when to move to a new progression (dynamic)

gymrob

Hi all,

I have learnt so much recently from this forum but one thing that has been on my mind a lot is knowing when to move to a new progression/ add more weight to an exercise. Now I know some people may just say when you feel ready for example, but whilst I have read good info on static holds (planche an lever), regarding dynamic exercises I don't have much of a clue.

With static holds I have read the following (planche and lever):

1. Work out max hold time for hold (time only is with good form)

2. Half this time and this counts as one rep.

3. Do these reps for sets that add up to 60 seconds (such as tuck planche)

4. 45 seconds-1 minute 30 seconds rest in between sets or enough for quality work to be performed.

5. Do this for 8-12 weeks, and don't increase the time, even when it feels you could do more.

6. After this time re-test your max and repeat steps 2-5.

7. Once you get to 60 seconds move onto the next progression.

(Some such as Ido Portal recomend pairing these two holds back to back)

Now with dynamic exercises is this a lot different? The only real info I can get is:

1. Always leave a few reps in the bank, so don't go to failure but max contraction is good.

If you are going to cycle intensity by controlling the overall volume, it would be best to extend the total time involved of the training cycle in order to allow adequate physiological adaptation to occur. In plain english, you can follow the 3x3, 4x3, 5x3,6x3, 7x3 format; however my recommendation is to use each of these repetition schemes for an entire week rather than a single day.

At the end of your designated cycle, take at least 3-4 days off and then progress onward to a new exercise variation while dropping down again to 3x3.

So should I attempt to increase each exercise by a rep each week until I reach for example 5X5? Then move onto a harder progression?

I have read non gymnastics stuff that is simple such as work in 3-5 rep range etc and half the volume every third week but attempt to add weight wherever possible without training on the nerve.

Thankyou very much :D

Rob