Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Persistent chest pain from planche

LitoNico

Several months ago, I decided to use bodyweight conditioning as a way to keep in shape during college, when I don't have time to do the aerobic exercise I'm used to.

I got up to a good 10s tuck planche, and my shoulders were noticeably stronger in other exercise. After a few weeks, though, I developed something that matches the description of costochondritis– inflammation of the sternum area. When it got to the point that I was in pain throughout the day, I took NSAIDS and stopped doing the exercises.

Since I didn't want to tear myself up in the pursuit of strength, I completely ceased doing planche and any exercises that irritated my chest. In the three months since, I've lost nearly all the strength I'd gained, but the chest pain hasn't gone away. It only gives me a few twinges in day-to-day life, but trying to exercise brings it right back.

I read the book (brilliant, by the way, but you all already know this), but I'm precluded from doing nearly every exercise by chest pain. Even L-sit, front lever, and handstand will give me twinges after doing the exercises.

Since Coach Sommer's wrist exercises have almost completely eradicated the forearm pain I was experiencing, I deeply hope you guys have something as profound to offer to help with this chest pain.

If this is a problem of muscular imbalance, what can I work on to balance things out? Or do I just need to wait, and keep bleeding off strength?

Stretch your pectorals, check if you have proper posture, take NSAIDs again, and work on PB Support, XR Support and german hang. In your case I would go to the doctor to have a look at it. Somebody like Slizz can help you more here. This is just what worked for me.

Actually your advice is sound Falcon.

It sounds like the OP unwittingly went past what his shoulder girdle was prepared for.

Start slow, lots of shoulder mobility work, here is where bands excel, use the examples Ido gave to start, also check out some of Dick Hartzell's exercises. Also light dumbbell work particularly rotational movements with them.

Strength wise, start by building up minute long plank and reverse plank and then support holds and L-sit. Take at least six weeks with the simple plank work due to the injury.

Thank you both for your advice!

I'll for sure be doing the German hang and basic supports, and go back on NSAIDS as per your suggestion.

Thanks for the mention of Dick Hartzell, I hadn't heard of him and it seems like he's got a great routine of stretches.

I don't quite understand how planks will help, though- those are abdominal exercises, and have little to do with shoulder mobility or strength? A minute plank isn't particularly long, either... I know we're supposed to have a period of under-load, but it seems a bit extreme to spend six weeks on something I can already do!

Plank is still working your shoulder girdle in a similar but lighter way than planche. This lighter load at first will gradually condition your connective tissues in the shoulder girdle. Going beyond their capacity was more than likely the cause of the problem in the first place, so start easy. You can still scale the plank by adding more forward lean.

Okay, I see what you mean. I look forward to getting back to work these next few weeks! It's fun getting back into these kind of exercises (even in a dramatically reduced way) after a while. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to do some more basic shoulder-girdle before practicing even the german hang, that stretches my sternum in what feels like a bad way. I'll just stick to basic german stretches on the floor until I'm a little more resilient.

You know, when Liquid Steel™ comes out, it's going to be a 'shut up and take my money!' kind of thing for me!