Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What should be my goals? And where do i start?

Lcpl Jasiulek

Lcpl Jasiulek

Since I'm beginning Gymnastics, what should some of my goals be as far as skills? I'm new to the work of gymnastics and no idea what skills I should focus on. I honestly have no idea where to start.

Also for my core exercises/workouts, how much should I do?

Aushion Chatman

LCPL (I'm not even going to attempt your last name from memory),

I'm by no means even close to an expert...but my 2 cents would be to get those rings you mentioned you were getting soon. And think about three basic things.

Handstands, Ring Work, Flexibility through ranges of motion

1) For handstands, start spending LOTS of time upside down. How is your handstand? If you don't have a decent one, start kicking up against the wall and start to get used to being upside down. Start learning and developing strength in the hollow position by performing Candlesticks and Hollow Rocks, and attempt to "hollow out" in your handstands. Also work L-sits.

Walk on your hands do handstand push-ups and just plain BE upside down.

When you get decent start working your press to handstand

2) Ring work, start taking those pull-ups and dips to the rings and start to work on your support. If you don't have one, get your muscle up, and then go to the Ring Strength forum and start developing some of the basic skills...Swings, Levers, etc.

3) Start stretching if you aren't and start working on things like bridges and walk-overs, pike often and work on flexibility in your straddle as well.

Lcpl Jasiulek

I was doing some handstands earlier today before my workout, I feel good doing them, but cant hold them for more than a few seconds. Will definently add them in every dynamic stretching session, and will try some wall hand stands.

How long should I do dynamic stretching before a workout/session? Going to google some of those moves you mentioned = P

I think im going to dedicate a couple days in my workout week to everything you mentioned in your post. Really appreciate the info.

I'm no expert but I'd recomend moves such as:

L sit/ tuck sit

Handstand

Planche/ lever progressions

Rows

Pseudo pushups

Pistols

Pullups

Hanging leg raises/ tucked

Dips

Muscle ups

these are just examples there are so many out there. I would really recomened searching previous posts around the forum, especially by Ido portal and Coach Sommer, BlairBob and everyone else.

Good luck.

Lcpl Jasiulek

Im sorry but exactly does "Hollow" and "Hollow Out" mean? Currently googling for that.

EDIT: Nvm, I think I understand what it means. Anyone know of some good books to read while I wait for Coach Sommers book to come out = )

Aushion Chatman

Sounds like you may have found it...but if not I think the easiest way to "feel" being hollow..is to lie with your back on the ground...notice that when you naturally lie flat on a hard surface your lower back will be off the ground, the "hollow" position is simply pulling your stomach muscles IN so that the lower part of your back is in full contact with the floor.

Others can correct me if that's wrong pls.

Handstand ( stomach towards wall ) against wall

L sit or tuck L sit

Bottom of pistol hold ( hold a bar or rail or wall if you need a spot )

Planche lean in pushup position or frog stand/tuck planche

Candlestick hold/dragon flag at near vertical

Hollow hold

Superman hold

BW glute ham hold

Bridge and/or neck bridge or headstand.

Do these for a total of 30 or 60s, hopefully no more than 15 attempts are needed to make 60s of total time or 10 for 30.

Also leg lifts on a bar, v-ups, or laying down leg lifts.

Dips of some sort unless you have shoulder problems.

Body rows or pullups. Negatives if necessary.

Calf raises and calf raise hold.

Squats, squat jumps, jump from a height and stick the landing.

Reverse leg lifts, back extensions ( hip extensions, glute ham situp or inverted situps.

If you were to state how many dips, pullups, your vertical leap; we could get a better idea of where you are. Were you to try some of these positions or movements and state the numbers, we'd even have a better idea.

Lcpl Jasiulek

I took your advice and benchmarked myself. Heres what i got. Mind you this is AFTER my Max Strength training:

Wall Hand Stand (Stomach Against Wall)

-30sec, 15sec, 15sec for total of 1:00

L-Sit

-4sec, 4sec, 4sec, 4sec...I stopped after that. I need more flexability (in the pike for sure) and core strength. I feel i'm not flexable enough for good L-Sits yet. Definently on list for improving.

Planche Lean in Push Up Position

-20sec, 20sec, 20sec for total of 1:00

Dragon Flag, near verticle

-15sec, 15sec, 15sec, 15sec for total of 1:00

Superman Holds

-15sec, 20sec, 20sec, 5sec for total of 1:00

2morrow is going to be purely flexability and fundamentals/basics and will work on everything you've listed in other posts. Just doing that benchmark feels like a workout, and i love it.