Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Neck/head position during Freestanding HS

Cu Fang

Guys, I can hold freestanding hs for10s, with head/face not facing floor or in beastskills.com Jim said head in neutral position,

But when My face lookdown the floor I hardly maintain my balance, I look upon my btgb most of coach's athlete did the HS with face or eye look into the floor.

Can someone give me suggestions here?

Sorry my English is not so good.I'm trying my best to write here.

Where are you looking?

It MAY be that you have a very straight alignment, which is good. Assuming that you do, and you are comfortable not looking at the floor then the answer is simple, don't. At least not now.

In a good HS the face is only somewhat turned down so as to not upset the straight body balance. The eyes roll down towards the floor and you will just see your hands. The main reason for this is to get the visual cue as to where you are, but doing static work, this isn't so important, and looking straight ahead is fine.

In fact a classic HS drill is to try to look the other way up at your feet, which forces good vertical alignment.

Yes I'm looking to the wall completely, sometimes I tried to look down the floor by rolling my eyes slightly, so my head not totally facing the floor,that way I can still feel the balance,focus to open my shoulder, palm and fingers keep pressing the floor.keep my lower back straight (I don't focus much with my abs)

Okey thank you Mr Brady

Coach Sommer

To assume the correct head position during a HS; place the arms directly on the ears and then slightly tilt the head back so that you can just barely see your thumbs by looking through your eyebrows.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

yuri marmerstein

for the purposes of balance I find it a bit easier(after getting this tip from yuval, watching people, and messing around with it between myself and my students) with the head slightly out. not enough to make the back arch but more than typical gymnast form.

imagine looking at the line between your forefingers instead of your thumbs. because the head is pretty heavy it can be used to slightly counter balance the hips, this making the balance take less energy to hold.

again it depends on what your goals are, and alignment is still of prime importance. we are just now getting into the subtle differences between gymnast and equilibre handstand

Coach Sommer

Actually Yuval has since found it more efficient moving back to a more gymnast-like head alignment rather than the head out equilibre style that he formerly advocated. However as Yuri mentioned it is a matter of preference.

I do feel however that for a beginner, a neutral head position with the chin slightly tilted is easier to control and requires less constant adjustment of the bodyline.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer