Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

help with straddle press handstand

barrett

hey folks...first time posting here after lurking around for a few months...new to gymnastics training and have found btgb and this site to be wonderful resources...

i'm looking for help with my straddle press handstand. i can do several straddle press headstands, yet when i try a straddle press handstand against a wall with feet elevated, i cannot lift my feet off the box! i've read coach summer's essay on the exercise and tried his suggestions: moving the hands away from the wall, etc. i still can't get it! in the article, coach mentions that a failure to accomplish it is often due to too little lower back strength while in an extended shoulder position. could this be what is hindering me and if so, what exercises would help me build the requisite strength? might it be an issue with incorrect form exacerbating the difficulty of the movement (hips should be above shoulders before one begins to 'press,' right)?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading!

thanks, handbalancer. the thread you referenced clarified a lot for me. i've got much work to do :?