Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-seat to handstand press problems

anhkun

i can do a L-seat to handstand press on paralettes easily but when i try to do it off the ground i find that my arms are too short compared to my torso and cant fit my legs underneath, even with the added height given by doing them on my fingertips i still somewhat graze the floor a fair bit. Should i just aim for a v-seat to pike press instead?

Samuel Carr

Just means your compression strength isn't up to par. Work on active flexibility

Mikael Kristiansen

Compression and flexibility is definitely what is needed for this one. That being said, building uo to the point where you can actually do it on the floor takes a long time and a lot of work. Even with handbalancers, I dont see people being able to to do that too often. I can easily rep L sit presses, but I have no chance on the floor. My compression is quite good but my general pike flex just is far from good enough. Many talk about arm length in relation to this one, and it certainly might matter, but after seing one of the longest handbalancers I know do it with ease i believe it is more about training.

As for building up to it I should think that negatives on blocks or small elevation where you REALLY focus on squeezing your knees as close as you can to your chest on the way down can give some progess. You need to be able to go down to go up. Try flexing your feet to get through on the way through your arms as well. For stretching, sit in a pike and have someone sit on your back for extended periods of time, while you focus on leaning front and try to feel a lot of stretch in your legs.