Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problem with planche

klops3style

Justin Kyle

Quick question about what you said in your post, Dillon. Should a SSC consisting of planche leans contain sets adding up to 30 seconds or should each set be 30 seconds? Thirty seconds total sounds a little low so I just wanted to clarify. Thanks buddy

Justin

Joshua Naterman

NICE, Dillon! I was wondering if we would cover this, it helped all of us so much at the seminar when you showed us how to hollow correctly! Thank you for posting those instructions and the photos.

I am definitely one of those who was not planching correctly. I'm still working on that muscle activation just to make it right, it's pretty hard to do that in a real planche!

I totally notice what you are saying about the feet just sort of peeling off of the floor, I accidentally went way too far into a planche lean because it's easier for me to do that proper hollow with my hands closer to my hips and I was amazed that I wasn't falling on my face. Of course that made my elbows slightly twingy for two weeks but still it was crazy to feel that kind of a difference in the strength. Now... if I can just figure out how to do this for the easier planches I will be ok! :lol:

Erik Sjolin

I was actually doing this in the airport (terminal, plane, customs) after we learned it. Got a few interesting looks. :lol:

One thing I noticed was that it was really hard for me to get the same activation in the lean as when I was just practicing the position (starting to get it now, and boy does it help!). Is it acceptable to do these with a band to offer a bit of resistance to build up?

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha! Nice, I bet that was a new one on customs!

I do a lot of my planks, wall handstands, hollow holds and this chest hollow at school during breaks, and people really do look at you kind of crazy but it's a great use of time and I feel fantastic! And I've only heard positive comments when people say things at all so that's even better!

How do you mean use the band? I'm curious, I have trouble with the lower lat part of the whole thing when my hands aren't near my belly button.

Erik Sjolin

Yeah...I told them it was airport yoga to keep from getting hassled by airport security. 8)

I meant put it around a pipe or stall bar at about waist/chest level, then holding the position while the band pulls your arms back. Sort of like a standing planche lean, I guess. I thought it might work because it helped me activate the right muscles while there was pressure on my arms, cuz I was having trouble doing that at first.

Dillon Zrike

Ooden,

30s for each set, but remember to build up to 30s. You may start at 10s and that's ok. Just follow SSC cycles until you can hold 3x30s with perfect form. Then you can begin to increase the lean (again using SSC cycles).

Newguy,

Thank you, but you should see our other coach Jeff! You can meet him at the U.S. seminars.

Slizzardman,

Yeah be careful with those! You definitely want to slowly increase the lean!

Erik,

Bands are always a great idea. Learning the position is definitely about building strength in that position. You are not able to hold form during the leans because your body is not yet strong enough. It's just like any other strength move. It takes time and work to develop the strength in that exact position. I suggest starting in a regular push-up with perfect form. Once you are in the correct shape, then initiate the lean. Only lean as far as you can hold shape.

Dillon

Heys guys i was wondering if someone can give me some pointers. i can do the tuck planche on the floor but my elbows don't seem to lock fully, its at 98% locked. But on paralettes i can lock my elbows with ease. Just wondering what i should keep doing to progress. cheers

Anhkun, doing things on parallettes is easier than floor since you exert more force and push on the parallettes than floor.

I would say to work floor planche leans.

To note, while I have not done a SSC for planche leans; I have been doing them for some number of years. At least 7 now though I cannot recollect if ever worked them before. We used to do an exercise called planche lean pushups across floor. It's only recently that I've started adding them to my warmup to prepare my elbows for the ring support in my FSP SSC.

From a straight arm plank, planche in the shoulders slowly till you find the maximum point you can lean before faceplanting. Drop to chest, push up and repeat across floor. A spotter can pull against you to help or you can flex your feet into the floor. However, it was noted that these are not terribly comfortable for females.

A modification I came up with was:

Inchworm walk (from a yoga dog position [pike] walk out with hands to plank, start with hands as close to feet while keeping knees straight and palms on floor) to extended hollow plank (hands way in front of head as low as possible to floor). Lean forward dragging toes into planche lean. Alternate pseudo planche pushups or just planche leans.

I like that modification, i might steal them, but i'll call them Bob Walks.

Anhkun, doing things on parallettes is easier than floor since you exert more force and push on the parallettes than floor.

I would say to work floor planche leans.

To note, while I have not done a SSC for planche leans; I have been doing them for some number of years. At least 7 now though I cannot recollect if ever worked them before. We used to do an exercise called planche lean pushups across floor. It's only recently that I've started adding them to my warmup to prepare my elbows for the ring support in my FSP SSC.

From a straight arm plank, planche in the shoulders slowly till you find the maximum point you can lean before faceplanting. Drop to chest, push up and repeat across floor. A spotter can pull against you to help or you can flex your feet into the floor. However, it was noted that these are not terribly comfortable for females.

A modification I came up with was:

Inchworm walk (from a yoga dog position [pike] walk out with hands to plank, start with hands as close to feet while keeping knees straight and palms on floor) to extended hollow plank (hands way in front of head as low as possible to floor). Lean forward dragging toes into planche lean. Alternate pseudo planche pushups or just planche leans.

cool cheers =]

and should i keep practicing straight arm work on parraletes? or would that make me reliant on them and unable to get good form on the floor.

Mark O'Shea

Dillon;

Question regarding your shoulder positioning in your photos and during the planche: are the shoulders somewhat raised (towards your ears) during this position (see photo 2 as a reference), or are they brought down towards your hips (locking them in and assisting in the hold)? I find that I am more stable, and therefore holding at a deeper angle, when I pull my shoulders/scapula down towards my hips during the planche than when they're raised towards my ears. Admittedly my back flattens somewhat, but I don't think that my body posture is being compromised. I want to make sure that I'm doing the hold correctly and getting the most out of the exercise. Thanks.

Joshua Naterman

You want your shoulders protracted all the way forward AND depressed all the way down towards your hips, this should activate the lower lats super, super hard. Dillon will correct me if I got that wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's exactly how you want to be doing it.

I have also noticed that concentrating on my external rotators helps a lot. I really concentrate on having all of that happening at the same time, which is rather intimidating at first lol! It comes with time.

Anhkun, for the planche leans I do them on the floor in the hopes of building up my wrists again especially because I tumble and it's also somewhat more difficult as floor is harder than parallettes.

Prior to now, I used to do pseudo planche pushups or planche leans on dumbbells turned out. I've gone back to doing stuff on the floor, like L-sit in the hopes of conditioning my wrists back and maybe getting the L and straddle on floor will help me in my road to planche. In all honesty though I'm not very hopeful or concerned if I do get the L/straddle-L on floor as I have never really had that active flexibility even when I was 20lbs less. Maybe when I was a lightweight, but I can't remember that far back as we never tried L work on floor ( It was done on fists on bricks ).

yeah i know what you mean, at one point awhile back i can easily hold L sit on parralettes for 1min30s and when i jumped straight onto the floor it dropped to 30s

I'm currently doing worksets of 10s, probably 80% and they are an absolute pain. And this is just on my fists, even tougher on just my palms, I can feel the back of my legs and pants brush the ground when doing so.

Dillon Kolacz

Is the planche lean different from the actual planche? lol I read the entire thread and got a little confused. I noticed that Dillon's hands in the planche lean were turned backwards... in the book his hands are turned forwards. I tried doing adv planche tuck with hands backwards and it was a huge failure, but I can do adv planche tuck with hands forwards with a lean. (on the floor)

Joshua Naterman

The only difference is body angle and feet are supported.

Hand position will determine how hard the planche is and how much it carries over to the rings. I was fooling around today and I could hold a 1s full planche with no pain or really even tension with my hands forward, but you couldn't pay me enough money to even try advanced tuck with my hands back right now. There is a massive difference in difficulty, and in how much pressure is on the biceps tendons. Palms backwards is WAY harder!

Erik Sjolin

Yipes, a full planche? Man, wish you would have taped it, that's unreal!

For hand position, I've spent my time so far working the fingers 45 degrees backwards, which meant re-starting the planche (which was no big since mine sucked anyway. :roll: ), and now it's almost where it was before I had to stop before. That might be because of the planche leans (which are awesome, by the way) or some of the other stuff we covered, but for me it seems easier to get the shoulder (torque, I guess?) when my elbows are pointed forward.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is the shoulder angle more open in a fingers backwards planche since the fulcrum point (wrist) is closer to the head? Does that make it easier or harder? :?

Yaad Mohammad

The easiest position from me is between sides and front. So 45 degrees. When I did that, I held the straddle planche for 3 seconds.

Joshua Naterman

The shoulder angle is probably not terribly different. The position is much more muscularly demanding because the fingers can not counterbalance the body weight. There is no brace with fingers backwards, whereas with fingers forward the wrist and hand are essentially a counter-lever.

interesting . for me my straddle planche with ffingers back and forwad is about the same (2-3 seconds). i wouldn't say fingers back is harder, just different. fingers back is way more on biceps. fingers forward is way more on wrists. obviously fingers back helps with rings.

Dillon Kolacz

so is it safe to say it's good to start mastering planche with hands backwards after completing forward hands planche?

Joshua Naterman

It depends on how badly you want to show off a planche. Your friends will have no idea how much harder fingers backwards is on the biceps so they won't appreciate the extra conditioning and time that goes into that position. There isn't a set in stone order of progression with these two, but if you want a rings planche then you should slowly start working into the fingers backward position as well.

Erichlin is already really strong, so he isn't going to notice as much of a difference. In the beginning the fingers back position will be at least 2 progressions behind the fingers forward or forward and out for most people.

Erik Sjolin

So do you think it's worth working both fingers back and forward? At this point it doesn't matter for me, but I do really want a planche. Not as badly as a good HSPU, but y'all know that feeling. 8)