Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XR Backwards Roll

Michael Traynor

Michael Traynor

Hello all,

As you know I am very much a Forum regular and I have not quite found enough information on the XR Backwards Roll to learn how to execute one yet. I was wondering if anyone had a Tutorial, suggested prerequisites, tips etc, or indeed just a link to a previous thread that I have missed.

This movement along with XR HS Press ups are holding me back in progress, obviously HS Press Ups are easy to scale and i'm working away at them.

Thanks in advance.

For me it was a matter of just try, modify and repeat until I got the timing right.

Important points I found are:

Keeping a false grip.

Keeping arms near your body all the time.

Keep your arms bent at around 90° or less (don't straighten them).

When rolling back pike your hips to go into a reverse crank like position.

With a continuous motion open your hips when you are inverted. Here the timing is critical and you might have to try a lot.

Best thing is to film your tries and figure out if you opened to late/early.

Catching /Pressing out of the roll is like deep deficit Korean dip

Here is a video with perfect execution.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/video/ria010.mpg

Studying it frame by frame helped me a lot.

Also the crossfit journal (if you happen to be a subscriber) had a video on it.

Samuel Carr

Try holding a band between the rings while youre doing it so it's like doing a pullover but with an elastic band that youre leaning on instead of a bar. Maybe this would help

Having a really deep is necessary. A Korean dip may be useful but is nowhere as hard as a RTO dip with the rings faced forward.

Alessandro Mainente

for my experience, if you increase your biceps's strength the movements can be more easy, if you do it with momentum is more easy, if you do more slow you need more strength and control.

in the beginning i wasn0t able of do it also i had a great biceps's strength! in the same weeks i've started to train the pseudo maltese with arms started at 90° at the level of the shoulders anfter i wwnt down until the arms were opened at 120-130° but with the body in a high BL position and after push/pull back..

this thing helped me a lot to learn the controlled backward roll

Joshua Naterman

I am finding that reverse MU work helps a lot as well. I like the elastic idea, I'll be playing with that. Thanks!

I got my first backward roll starting with forward roll.

Start in support,roll forward to 180º and then go back! Hold your false grip (don´t lose it when you roll forward) keep your arms bend and close to your body,and when you are upside down....YYYaaaahhhhh!!..go back! Go for broke.

cmcapture20.jpg

Kicked when you are rolling back (90º) may help.

My 2 cents

Cool!

I don´t know if this is the best way to do backward roll,but for me,it was great to understand the dynamic of the skill.

PPPU,Pelican,deep dips,pseudo maltese...may help as well.

Phase 3 and 4 is critical,don´t open your arms,or you gonna get back lever....or kiss the floor! :lol:

I am going to try this tonight! I have been struggling with this move. Thanks for the ideas.

Alessandro Mainente
Cool!

I don´t know if this is the best way to do backward roll,but for me,it was great to understand the dynamic of the skill.

Phase 3 and 4 is critical,don´t open your arms,or you gonna get back lever....or kiss the floor! :lol:

i think is possible to open your arms, but you need more strength in order to push down...

Cool!

i think is possible to open your arms, but you need more strength in order to push down...

Of course! By possible,it´s also possible do with straight arms like Azarian....just depends of your strength!

Cool!

Of course! By possible,it´s also possible do with straight arms like Azarian....just depends of your strength!

It's in the code of points marked as a B :wink:

Patrick McNamara

Great advice on this skill! I've been working this one, but will incorporate a few of these tips....so close!

Rings' suggestion is much harder when you can't even do the forward roll part without flopping onto the floor...

Rings' suggestion is much harder when you can't even do the forward roll part without flopping onto the floor...

Is logical that if you can´t do forward roll,don´t try backward roll yet.

Reece Nugent

Its like a pullover on a pullup bar except on the rings, then you end up doing a RTO dip into support, that how i picture it.

I just havent got the strength to do it yet. When i first tryed, it was straight after a wod that had pullovers in it.

Michael Traynor
Its like a pullover on a pullup bar except on the rings, then you end up doing a RTO dip into support, that how i picture it.

I just havent got the strength to do it yet. When i first tryed, it was straight after a wod that had pullovers in it.

Well it is and it isn't; the movement is the same but a pull over is very easy and a BR is far far more difficult. The training is different too, anyone that can do a high pull up should be able to do a pullover. O.o

Reece Nugent

Yes I know that, its very hard to do. I meant the movements are similar. Theres no way you could go from doing a pullover and then magically you can do a BR. Unless your already crazy strong which i dont think you could get without gymnastics training :)