Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Few questions about straddle L

Jhaek

I can hold an advanced 55 sec L sit on the ground and I was thinking of starting straddle L progressions.So I am able to do one hand center straddle L but I think that my hips are not wide enough.I feel the stretch and get cramps in the legs from the position.I tried a low straddle L and I felt almost nothing after 15 sec hold.So my question is should I work on the low Str L or should I do one hand center ?Also should I stretch my straddle and how to stretch if needed?

You should do the Straddle-L in a one hand center method. It works pretty well for me. Keep working on your active and passive straddle flexibility.

I don't think your back is supposed to be round in the adv. L-sit. You should try to stick your hips out a little.

You should do the Straddle-L in a one hand center method. It works pretty well for me. Keep working on your active and passive straddle flexibility.

I don't think your back is supposed to be round in the adv. L-sit. You should try to stick your hips out a little.

What does sticking my hips out mean?

Alexander Moreen

It means your back should be straight in a good neutral position and your hips should be pushed forward in front of your hands(pull your arms backwards.)

Ok I think I fixed it :)

Actually I didnt ...It was just from the angle I looked at it,so its still rounded.Any tips would be appriciated :S

Alexander Moreen

The second one is much better, but you still need to press forward farther. And your elbow appears to not be locked out. The inner part of the elbow joint should be facing forward, just like in ring support your hands turn out.

Thats a decent L sit. You should focus on yes locking out your elbows but also pushing your hips forwards. They should ideally be in line with your arms and then pushing them even more and working towards V. But it all depends on what your working towards as well :)

to correct your curved back, I think you need to

1) look forward, not down

2) stick your chest out

3) retract your shoulder blades actively (try squeezing your shoulder blades and roll your shoulders back)

4) depress your shoulder blades actively (push down harder into the ground, push your shoulders away from your ears)

also, can you sit in an L with a straight back? Basically, I'm asking if you are flexible enough.

also, can you sit in an L with a straight back? Basically, I'm asking if you are flexible enough.

I can touch my knees with head and I can sit straigth

maybe I cant do it with locked elbowls that good .I mean I cant push my chest out and I cant push my hips I dont know :S

worry about pushing the hips out later. have you tried the easier progressions mentioned in the book? :)

worry about pushing the hips out later. have you tried the easier progressions mentioned in the book? :)

you mean the nonadvanced L sit?Im very comfused :S I feel like everything I do is wrong >.>

Take a picture of you doing a pike stretch on the floor, but don't force the stretch too much. Ideally, you want to hold your ankle with your hands and check to see if your elbows touch the floor.

Not bad, but it definitely could use more work (like mine's). Here's something that could be useful to you from Coach.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2121#p2121

A static pike stretch is not the most efficient way to build pike position flexibility (I far prefer windmills, weighted pikes or stall bar/swedish bar work), but there are several modifications which can be added to increase its efficacy.

For example, with the knees locked, lower into a pike stretch until comfortably shy of your current limit. Now maintaining the depth of your stretch, attempt to arch your back without allowing your torso to rise. For those who have never attempted this previously, making just a small change in your position here will lead to a new and interesting experience by stretching deeply into areas of your back that you didn't even know that you had. Hold this position for several seconds. Relax the arch and stretch deeper into the pike. Repeat the arch.

Once you feel that you have gained all you can, allow the knees to bend until you are able to place the tips of your elbows on the floor. Maintaining that elbow and torso position, attempt to arch the lower back as before. Pause once again. Release and sink deeper into the bent leg pike by sliding the feet forward slightly. Keeping the elbows on the floor in the newly extended position, arch the back and pause holding a strong contraction. Continue this pattern of arching, releasing and extending until you have reached that day's limit.

Remember that this is not a fight to the death. Do not overly strain. Increases in flexibility are generally far more gradual that muscular strength gains and should be allowed to develop naturally and patiently. Unlike conditioning, excessively straining during passive stretching greatly increases the likelihood of an injury occuring.

I might just be giving you tons of information, so I hope someone that has more knowledge can answer it.