Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For Shoulder Size; Handstand Pushup vs handstand Hold

chingyvang

chingyvang

I want bigger shoulders and i've been doing handstand holds up to 45 seconds now. I can do a few handstand pushups, ofcourse this is all against the wall and not free standing. My question is, would Handstand pushups give me more shoulder size over just handstand holds? Because even with just holding, I do feel a little increase in strength and size.

Joshua Naterman

As long as you are intentionally pressing as hard as you can into the ground with your shoulders and traps during your holds they should help, and as long as you can keep very open shoulders through the ROM you will see pretty good results with the full ROM push ups as well. The more you arch and close the shoulders the less those push ups will do for your shoulder size.

Hm, maybe I have a misconception of what open shoulders mean. I thought, during a handstand pushup you close and open the shoulders. Like: open shoulder: 180 degrees between torso and arms, closed shoulder: < 180 degrees.

How can you keep an open shoulder during an handstand pushup? Or is my concept of what an open shoulder is wrong?

Niklas Slotte

Palmcron, your concept of an open shoulder angle is correct. Slizzardman is referring to a vertical torso (correct me if I'm wrong). As soon as the arching begins in a HeSPU/HSPU the emphasis shifts slowly away from the shoulders. A (more) vertical torso makes the movement harder, because the shoulders are doing most of the work and getting less assistance from the other pushing muscles due to the biomechanics of the movement.

Coach commented on subject in an older thread:

Most beginners have relatively weak shoulders and will often instinctively attempt to arch heavily during HeSPU as this allows them to use more of the chest rather than the shoulders to complete the press. This is incorrect. Always train HeSPU and HSPU with a straight hollow body.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4950&p=45241&hilit=weak+shoulders#p45241

Joshua Naterman

That's pretty much right. The more vertical your torso is the more open your shoulder angle will be for any given point in the ROM. The elbows also have to be IN, which means they are moving horizontally in line with their respective shoulder away from your body and NOT away from each other. This makes HSPU MUCH harder at first but is the key to building strength. I'm doing these off of cinder blocks now and I never thought I would get there a year ago. It's tough but you have to be patient, do your work, and let time take care of the rest.

chingyvang

Im not very advanced so I have Idea what y'all just said ^ but can someone tell me if I'm doing my handstand correctly? Basically I just handstand back touching the wall and try to keep my elbows locked and arms straight for as long as possible. Ofcourse my arms wanna bend when in stress but I force them back straight. I'm doing it right, correct?