Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AM I TOO OLD

Ian Legrow

Ian Legrow

Hello everyone! I have not been passionate about anything in my life until i found gymnastics. The problem is, I am 22 now. Most of the athletes in Coach sommers books tarted very young. My wife keeps telling me that if i put my mind to it i can do whatever i want, and i have been trying to stick to that. She rides horses and would ike to go to the Olympics some day, but she hs been doing that since she was 2 years old. My question: is it too late for me? i could not ind adult gymnastics classes in Dallas Texas or anywhere around it. is it jsut going to be something that i keep doing for the rest of my life but only as a workout?

Are you too old? Well No.

However to go into a bit more detail. If you are just wanting to do recreational gymnastics, go for it. There is nothing stopping you, and you have potential to learn quite a bit of epic stuff.

Are you wanting to go to the Olympics? Well once again it is possible. You just have to realize that you will have to dedicate ALOT of time and effort to it! There are a number of stories of people starting out as late as you in gymnastics and making it to the Olympics. However you will have quite a bit of catching up to do compared to people who start at 2 years old. But if you are wanting to go pro I would recommend researching out and finding a good coach who can start teaching you.

RatioFitness
Are you too old? Well No.

Are you wanting to go to the Olympics? Well once again it is possible. You just have to realize that you will have to dedicate ALOT of time and effort to it! There are a number of stories of people starting out as late as you in gymnastics and making it to the Olympics.

Can you give an example?

Also, we don't know anything about this guy. His height, his previous sports experience, ect. There's virtually no chance of him making it to the olympics.

Kyle Courville

Can you give an example?

Also, we don't know anything about this guy. His height, his previous sports experience, ect. There's virtually no chance of him making it to the olympics.

If you have a dream and the chance that it becomes fulfilled is a 0.0000001% chance, GO FOR IT. Its better to live knowing that you gave it 100% and took the shot then living with the regret of not trying and not knowing. Life can be long and depressing if you can't live with yourself.

A personal example: I used to be fanatical about drumming. At the time my dream was to be the greatest drummer ever. I started out as the worst among my peers. I was terrible. I practiced every day for hours. I had a great teacher who challenged and pushed me. I made astonishing progress. I actually shocked myself and every one else who was aware of my previous skills within three months over a summer break. I became an awesome drummer. I can honestly say I gave it 100%. Somewhere along the line, however, I found a greater passion in another field. My priorities changed. I can honestly look back at my dream of drumming and be 110% satisfied with what I did. Simply going for something I was so passionate about had instilled in me a self-respect that can't be taken away. Did my dream of being the greatest drummer die? Heck no, it was reborn as a different dream.

Kyle Courville

After reading my post it seems as if i gave the impression that I had just dabbled in drumming for a couple of months. :oops: I would like to clarify that I had pursued my passion for over 4 years, and it was worth every minute :)

True. But my point was that it is possible, not that he will be able to, or that he will. In fact I think the main reason adults (i.e people starting out 15-25 years old) don't make it to the Olympics is because they don't have the time/money to spend on it.

The example I was thinking of was one that Coach had posted about. A guy starting in gymnastics in collage and making it to the Olympics on floor. However if you think about it floor, while taking a good bit of strength has a much higher degree of balance/coordination/aerial awareness/not being scared aspects too it. And these don't necessarily have to be taught from a young age, some people are just naturally good at them.

Also another thing Coach was saying was that one of his strongest athletes who is now 19 (I think) started out at 16 and now has a IC Almost has an Inverted IC has a PL And I think almost has a Maltese. So you don't necessarily need to start from 4 years old.

My point was that it was possible, however to obtain that amount of excellence you would need to make that one of your highest priority for the next several years. And even then there are a myriad of things that can hinder you (like the stuff you mentioned). And even then you will have a large disadvantage compared to people who have been training all their lives. But it is possible!

And it should be mentioned that just because you are going to compete does not mean you have to go to the Olympics. That is just one of the many (Albeit that is quite a high level) competitions out there.

RatioFitness
True. But my point was that it is possible, not that he will be able to, or that he will. In fact I think the main reason adults (i.e people starting out 15-25 years old) don't make it to the Olympics is because they don't have the time/money to spend on it.

You think that's the main reason? I would argue the main reason a person who is 25 years old doesn't make it to the Olympics is because they are 10-20 years behind in developing the the ability to execute the most complex movements in all of sports as their 30's rapidly close in and rob them of elite level athleticism.

What is the obsession of saying "I am too old to achieve elite level." Most gymnasts who start at the age of 5 don't ever get to that level (otherwise making the olympic team just wouldn't be a big deal), so why are the people that are starting at 22 think that this is where they have to go and if they don't it's not worth the effort?

No matter how good you get at anything there will always be someone better than you, striving for elite level is a great goal but not learning something you really like simple because you think you'll never reach elite level is very short sighted in my opinion.

And for the love of god old at 22? are you kidding me? people have set world records at 30s, 35s, and 40s. Most people peak strength wise between the ages of 30-40, so you have a lifetime to go.

RatioFitness
Right, 25 is pushing it. But I don't think 15 really is.

25 isn't pushing it. 25 is "stop being unrealistic, you have no chance." 15 is pushing it.

RatioFitness
What is the obsession of saying "I am too old to achieve elite level." Most gymnasts who start at the age of 5 don't ever get to that level (otherwise making the olympic team just wouldn't be a big deal), so why are the people that are starting at 22 think that this is where they have to go and if they don't it's not worth the effort?

No matter how good you get at anything there will always be someone better than you, striving for elite level is a great goal but not learning something you really like simple because you think you'll never reach elite level is very short sighted in my opinion.

And for the love of god old at 22? are you kidding me? people have set world records at 30s, 35s, and 40s. Most people peak strength wise between the ages of 30-40, so you have a lifetime to go.

Well said, Alex.