Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After building a solid foundation of strength...

TNT45

I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions on combinations of various exercises to help get ready for the Football season in August? I am free to work out any days of the week. Thanks.

Joshua Naterman

For football you absolutely have to learn a proper powerclean. In the meantime, mixing single leg squat variations (bulgarian split squat, pistols, floor split squats) for more moderate reps like 8-15 and front squats for 4-8 reps (obviously this is your maximal strength work and the single leg is more endurance and stability, which unlocks extra strength potential). I would do the same thing with single leg deadlifts and regular deadlifts mixed with Romanian deadlifts.

That will take care of your strength. Now you would also want to work on counter-rotation just to teach your body to stay rigid as you change directions and run at top speed down the field. Of course, this is assuming you aren't a lineman. Even then, counter-rotation would help. Pallof press variations are a great set of movements to start with. Experiment with high, mid and low pulleys/bands. There's more, but that's the most important bit to me.

Now you just have your plyometric and speed training. DO what works best for you. If you don't know, work with a speed coach. There are probably guys on here with more free time who can help you with that a little bit.