Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Raising heart rate prior to dynamic work?

Svend

I'm pretty sure I've read about this before somewhere on the forum but I can't seem to find it again :(

Well, it's hard to not notice that almost all of the dynamic WODs has the rounds starting with some sort of exercise to raise the heart rate significantly. Now, my question is: Why is this? I'm sure there's a great reason which I would love to know more about :D

Question Coach, Jason and I were wondering about the intention for raising the heart rate above 170 before the BW movements.

A good friend of mine is one of the former Olympic Womens' Gymnastics Coach for Bulgaria during the 70s & 80s. He was responsible for improving their world ranking from 12th to 5th at the 1988 Olympics. In my professional opinion, he possesses one of the finest gymnastics minds it has ever been my pleasure to learn from. He taught me that increasing the heart rate to 170+ prior to engaging in plyometric work greatly increases the effectiveness of that work.

As a result of this type of elevated HR training, the young lady below shows exteme power in her tumbling (especially for a woman and also remember that this was in 1988!)

EDTizyuF-aA

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Found it! :D Still, I would love some additional info on this if anyone has anything to chip in with.