Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

increasing time against the wall.

jim turner

jim turner

I can hold a handstand against the wall for 55 seconds. No matter when I try whether it be after alot of handstand practice or when I'm fresh, morning or night its always 55 seconds then my arms just crumple! Its been like this for some time, can anyone suggest a program to increase the time?

Aaron Griffin

How long have you been doing this? "Some time" could be 1 week or 1 year.

For me, the trick was to simply hold MORE handstands of LESS time. Instead of holding 1 at 55s, I'd do 5+ at 30s or so.

jim turner

More like a year.. I'm not sure exactly.. I used to work on them alot some months ago and reached this limit of 55. I've recently gone back to them (I've been trying freestanding alot more in the mean time). I find it curious that the limit has stayed exactly the same at 55, I feel absolutely fine at 48 - 50 and think I could go on for ever then all of a sudden my arms just refuse!

Archbishop o balance

Well, you're pretty close to the 1 minute prerequisite to start doing Handstand Wall Runs, so how about trying those for 10 minutes with as little rest as you can handle every other week or so? I also think Cast Wall Walks are great for strengthening the muscles required to fight your way back when you're starting to cave.

You could also try to mix it up with intensity and volume. You could do 3 weeks of 4-6 holds where you hold as long as you can, and try to INCREASE the time on your hands for every single set, with enough rest to really push it each time. You have to REALLY FIGHT to stay up! If you're doing it against the wall, place a mat in front of you to avoid the face plant. The next 3 weeks you basically do what Phrak says and reduce the duration of the hold, but perhaps a few more sets and less rest in between. Cut back and do half the amount of work in the third week of every phase. Don't do these sessions more than once or maybe twice a week, the rest of the time you should probably be spending on balance and line drills or something completely different :)

I've been in the same situation as you with my freestanding handstand for at least 5 months. I've pretty much only been working a bunch of volume, but less intensity. Then I started an intensification phase just last week (which is the phase where you push it each set), and yesterday I saw a 10 second bump in my ordinary Handstand 8) Change things up every now and then, and the numbers should keep climbing.

jim turner

ok thanks alot I shall try some of that.. Only part I don't understand ... by balance or line drills do you mean sticking to free standing practice? Will other forms of handstand exercises be detrimental to my progress if I perform them during rest days?

Chris Cantrell

This may be way off base so its just a thought nothing more, but if you have been training these for a year and the 55 second point is still like a "line in the sand", it is possibly something other than strength.

The thing that comes to mind is your breathing. If you are not taking good breaths, even if you are breathing you can get behind. Eventually you arent getting enough oxygen to support the effort and instant noodle arms are the result.

I see the same thing in certain events that I do in my sport. On a long but still hard event that I am comfortable I can go almost all out for two hours. But put me in a short tight really intense event and I start to hold my breath, causeing me to almost completely burn out in less than a minute or two.

Just a thought.

jim turner

hmmmm you might be on to something 151.. I shall give it a go, deep breaths.

jim turner

yes! Just did 61 seconds!! I've spent last week doing 30 second holds in sets of 4 (with about 30 secs to a minute rest in between) and then leaving it for a day or two (this was the hard part, I just want to keep trying!!) Then tried for as long as I could just now whilst making sure I breathed steadily.. so happy to be progressing, thanks alot. :P