Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deciding on a Workout Routine

LordEnoch

Hello everyone at gymnastic bodies,

My name is Enoch Lee and I am currently 21 years old, 5" 11', 165 lbs soldier in the Canadian Military. I've read Coach Sommer's guide on front lever and planche a while back and recently I discovered this website through the youtube and I have been reading all of the progression guides in every section of the forum. I was just wondering if I can get everyone input on how I can go about designing a routine workout that I can follow for the next 6-12 months.

I plan to do the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri training cycle and there are a number of gymnatic movements I would like to work on but I just cannot figure out how to work what moves on what days and etc. As a soldier who aspires to join the JTF2 within a couple of years, I value functional strength and dynamic power. I believe the gymnastics can offer me great benefits to achieving the physical condition that I need to be in for the special forces.

Coach Sommer's words have encourage me to believe that it's never too late to take up gymnastics. As a long term goal, I would like to be able to do an iron cross and the planche pushups. I own my own pair of rings and just to give you guys an idea of my current fitness level, I am able to do one muscle-up on the rings, 5 handstand pushups on the wall, 6 bulgarian dips on the rings, about 40-50 pushups, however I lack core strength and thus cannot do anything like L-sits and such. Basically, a complete newbie in this area.

When I had finished compiling all of the progression guides on different movements on the forum, I was left with a quite a long list. I see the value in training all of them, however with the time constraint and the physical constraint, I cannot distinguish how I can attack this massive list (360 pulls, back limber, cirque climbing, bowers, hanging leg lift, front lever, planche, side lever pulls, GHR, body levers, l-sit walks, swinging dips, the list goes on). I am looking to plan out my workouts based on gymnastics for the next 6-12 months. Any input is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Yours Truly,

Officer Cadet Enoch Lee

Enoch,

Building the Gymnastic Body is currently at the printer and will be available shortly. At that time I will also begin posting the GB WODs on the main page where all of the various components are already completely integrated for you. The GB WODs are exactly what you are looking for.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 weeks later...

Enoch, I hope you check a lot of the new posts every couple of days. I know I have frequently put together a lot of basic progressions but I don't generally get into programming workouts in the threads. It still should give you some ideas.