Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

German Hang progressions

kingston

Hey guys,

I'm just getting started out here and read through BtGB. I cannot do the easiest progression of the back lever, and cannot do the German hang due to mobility restrictions it seems, as well as strength restrictions.

I was wondering if there are easier progressions to get to the German hang.

Joseff Lea

Not sure if this is 100% correct but if shoulder mobility is a problem then I would do them with palms facing down (pull up grip). This should allow you to work through the ROM without putting too much pressure on your elbows.

I would also make sure your dead hang is good before starting this, do lots of the shoulder preheb routines that are posted on here and lots of dorsal stretches and wall extensions. I've found that really working on opening my shoulders during handstands has really helped me.

Hope that helped :)

(Have tried to find a link for dorsal stretches and the stretch I'm thinking of isn't coming up so I will try to explain. Sit on the floor with your legs out in front, stretch your arms as far behind you as you can and place them on the floor, then slide your hips forward so that you stretch your shoulders. Hope that makes sense)

try also this:

sit on the floor with your palm on the floor by your sides, arms fully extended and fingers pointing backwards. Now keep your hands there but slide with your bottom torwards your heels as much as you can. Hold 20sec repeat 3 times.

haha @spinelli

we posted the same answer at the same time!!

thanks so much guys, yes I can feel the stretching in those shoulder joints, something i haven't felt in a long time... and I'm 22 :D

• 4 years later...

If you are just getting started, you should also understand that much of BtGB has been superseded by the Foundations / Handstand Courses which also cover the Mobility (Liquid Steel™) elements mentioned in the book.

The key reason for this revision is due to the fact the adult beginners need MUCH more preparatory work before starting even the most basic ring elements like German Hang. In fact Coach Sommer no longer endorses starting Back Lever work until well along in the Foundation Course.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/foundation-series/

• Upvote 1

Stay away from back levers at this point, the chance of getting hurt is to great (my own experience). If possible get Foundations. Foundations were made years after Btgb was released. Coach and his staff gained alot of experience of training adults through seminars and the progressions from Btgb were changed to keep everyone as safe as possible.

• Upvote 4

Domenic Palazzolo

Stay away from back levers at this point, the chance of getting hurt is to great (my own experience). If possible get Foundations. Foundations were made years after Btgb was released. Coach and his staff gained alot of experience of training adults through seminars and the progressions from Btgb were changed to keep everyone as safe as possible.

Kingston, take this advice.  I can personally hold a nice form back lever on rings for over 10 seconds but I wont dare do it again because first of all I didn't grow up in gymnastics or have proper training, I had poor training :wacko: granted some it was good but nothing like these progressions.  But thank God I wasn't injured.  I wont jump on rings again until all basic elements are F4.  These guys have ton of experience and knowledge in the field.  Just because  you can do it, doesn't mean the tendons + connective tissue are preparared properly.

• Upvote 1