Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Adv Frog Stand help

Samuel Carr

Samuel Carr

So i'm 4 weeks into my latest ssc and have been doing 3x20sec holds for adv frog stand. For each set, i have trouble keeping balance and either fall forward or my knees slip off from behind my arms., resulting in my hips dropping and/or my elbows bending. At first i thought it was a matter of getting used to balancing and it'd stop but i havent made much progress and im thinking of scaling the fsp back to either planche leans or a type of foot supported adv frog stand/ tuck planche (by using a band around my feet or keeping my feet pressed against a wall or something). What do you guys think?

to me it's just a matter of relative strength, probably if you try that hold on PB, balance won't be such an issue anymore as your forearms will get more involved due to the grip hold.

Ryan Verma

The balance thing is something you'll just get better at as your strength increases. The knees falling off the elbows is (I think) just a case that your abs and whatever else keeps your hips up are still developing the strength to keep your body in the right position. Really focus on keeping your abs tightly contracted instead trying to keep your knees pressed into your elbows. Make an effort to use your knees for support as little as possible. This will also help you progress to the tuck planche eventually.

You may also consider adding supplemental ab exercises where they're appropriate.

Joshua Naterman
So i'm 4 weeks into my latest ssc and have been doing 3x20sec holds for adv frog stand. For each set, i have trouble keeping balance and either fall forward or my knees slip off from behind my arms., resulting in my hips dropping and/or my elbows bending. At first i thought it was a matter of getting used to balancing and it'd stop but i havent made much progress and im thinking of scaling the fsp back to either planche leans or a type of foot supported adv frog stand/ tuck planche (by using a band around my feet or keeping my feet pressed against a wall or something). What do you guys think?

Just bend your arms a little. That will help a lot, you will probably find you have to bend them at least 20-30 degrees. When that is rock solid for a while, straighten just a little. Over time you will find that this is the most surefire way to make your adv frog solid. That has been my experience, at any rate.

Samuel Carr

Okay but so should i not increase my hold time after the ssc is over and instead just decrease the degree of elbow bend?

Joshua Naterman

Yes, and you may find that you feel comfortable straightening the elbow every 3-4 weeks. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but as you get closer to absolutely straight elbows I would start to take longer, make sure you feel nothing in the elbows for at least 3-4 weeks.

Joshua Naterman

The balance with fingers back is hard. To some extent it just takes time to get better at the balance. Hand and finger strength helps a LOT.

Dude

I have to add my 2 cents here. If your work set time is 20secs x3 sets then you must have reasonable balance. Please don't quit on this, try to make it easier or scale back etc....

I felt like doing the same as you at one point and really struggled with this for ages to get the balance. But now i'm at 2 x 30seconds and it feels solid. My wrists do give in towards the end and my knees drop, but that's just a core strength thing i believe. Just keep plugging away at it - YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I guarantee that towards the end of the cycle (8 weeks or so) and you will be stronger and more stable. I also found that activating my abs / core while doing this also helped increase my strength in this area and stopped my knees dropping. But when i first started engaging them i found that it made my knees rise and that led to instability, but you get used to it. Anyway just have faith in the process, no need to change anything. :D

Samuel Carr

Alright thanks man I was just doing it and focusing on sucking my knees up using core, and the same thing happened to me. My knees started to rise and that made me fall forward. But i'll just keep doing this hopefully it'll start getting better

Joshua Naterman

Yea, if you aren't feeling pain you may just need to keep practicing. The balance IS much more difficult than the fingers forward versions.