Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about WRIST PAIN (incl. Wrist Pushups pt 2)

StevenL

i've always had a bit of trouble with the wrist pushups and i finally found out an aid. in the video, the athlete has his thumbs extended out. i feel that my particular lack of strength in my wrist does not allow me to complete comfortable wrist pushups even on the knees with the thumbs extended out. recently i found that if i keep my thumb curled into my hand as if to resemble the "hook grip" used by olympic lifters, i can complete wrist pushups and they feel very good. at the top of the rep, my fingers are curled around my thumb. at the bottom of the rep where the fingers are in extension, my thumb points at first knuckle of my middle finger. i can now complete many decent repetitions from the knees, and my wrists feel great subsequently. i'm going to wait a week or 2 before i take these to a full plank pose, once i can complete these well from the plank, i will come back to my knees but begin working on extending my thumbs out like the video depicts.

Similar issue, I am facing. I believe you've found a decent way to make it work, which I read but get confused. Could you please make a video of this & push to youtube etc? for us? Really appreciate it.

Joshua Naterman
i've always had a bit of trouble with the wrist pushups and i finally found out an aid. in the video, the athlete has his thumbs extended out. i feel that my particular lack of strength in my wrist does not allow me to complete comfortable wrist pushups even on the knees with the thumbs extended out. recently i found that if i keep my thumb curled into my hand as if to resemble the "hook grip" used by olympic lifters, i can complete wrist pushups and they feel very good. at the top of the rep, my fingers are curled around my thumb. at the bottom of the rep where the fingers are in extension, my thumb points at first knuckle of my middle finger. i can now complete many decent repetitions from the knees, and my wrists feel great subsequently. i'm going to wait a week or 2 before i take these to a full plank pose, once i can complete these well from the plank, i will come back to my knees but begin working on extending my thumbs out like the video depicts.

Nice! That's creative.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Ben Shulman

Thanks very much for this tutorial. I've been practising the wrist pushups for a few months now, with my knees on the floor progressively kipping my hips less and less. I can now comfortably do a set of 10 with my knees on the floor and no kip in the hips.

I am wondering if anyone could suggest a transition to help me get to doing them with my feet on the floor in the normal pushup position. Currently I don't feel strong enough to do them this way; it seems like too much of an increase in difficulty. Many thanks!

Ben

What has been working for me and our group is to first do the push-ups from a straddled position, this will make them considerably easier. Over time lessen the straddle.

• 6 months later...

It's pretty obvious how to perform most of the steps in the wrist conditioning series video posted in #9 (http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/543-question-about-wrist-pain-incl-wrist-pushups-pt-2/#entry3581), but I can tell the kids aren't doing everything as intended.

I want to understand the series exactly.  Here's what I THINK they're SUPPOSED to be doing in the video:

1. From kneeling position, place wrists on floor with palms facing downwards and stretch. Rotate wrists and repeat with hands pointing in different directions.

2. Repeat step 1 with palms facing upwards.

3. Perform fingertip pushups.

4. Assume pushup position (roughly) with hips piked. Starting with hands flat on floor, raise up on fingertips. Repeat. Piking of hips may be used to assist.

5. Repeat step 4 except the upper position should have the fingers flat on the floor with the palms raised.

6. Perform wrist pushups.

7. Stand on toes with palms flat on floor.

8. Perform plyo pushups.

Please make corrections (especially steps 4 and 5).

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Adam Williams

If anyone's interested, I ran across this guy's blog post at one point when trying to find more info about wrist conditioning. He basically writes coach's description of his wrist series (that came from one of these posts around here) but he also demonstrates them in a video.

http://www.samsrawtruth.com/2011/01/wrist-conditioning-pushup-series.html?m=1

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Are wrist pushups supposed to hurt or feel uncomfortable? Even if i do them standing up against a wall at nearly 90 degrees its slightly painful when i flex my wrists back up.

I dont actually do a push up because i dont want to use any momemtum to cheat with so its all wrist extension muscle. I figured doing it this way will strengthen my wrist better.

Do i need to stick to doing them against the wall until the pain goes away or can i keep doing them on my knees with piked hips? I can do them but theres some pain, not like an injury but from strain.

Joshua Slocum

There should not be pain. It could be due to excessively tight muscles in your forearm, or due to RSI, or perhaps something else. I would not do them on hands and knees until the pain goes away. 

Im doing grip training as well and i wonder if thats causing tight forearms resulting in wrist pain during wp.

I saw on another thread about using tiger balm so i might try that out if i can find it at walmart or somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Joakim Andersson

Im doing grip training as well and i wonder if thats causing tight forearms resulting in wrist pain during wp.

I saw on another thread about using tiger balm so i might try that out if i can find it at walmart or somewhere.

Grip training without any mobility work will likely get you pretty tight, yes. Tiger balm won't save you.

I was into grip training too until I realized that some of the progressions in the foundation and handstand series lead to hand strength feats far more impressive than lifting plates or closing grippers.

Bill Köhntopp

I think the guy in the video is making some mistakes with the dumbbell on the rope.

he should have straight arms all the time and not twist the wood in his hand to the sides. and you can easy stand upright with straight legs and not like mini quat position.

• 3 weeks later...

Grip training without any mobility work will likely get you pretty tight, yes. Tiger balm won't save you.

I was into grip training too until I realized that some of the progressions in the foundation and handstand series lead to hand strength feats far more impressive than lifting plates or closing grippers.

i do wrist prehab as well and yeah tiger balm was a waist of money for the pain relief i was looking for.

i do grip training for rock climbing so i bought some captains of crush grippers for crushing grip and made some blocks for pinch grip. 

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic